Rainy day cooking

• 7 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Rainy day cooking
« on: January 26, 2014, 13:21 »
Miserable weather for my weekend off, so I had already got chicken stock, cooked squash and tomato sauce out of the freezer to make soup.

A trip to the co-op down the road for a chicken for tea and some washing-up liquid resulted in arriving just as half the veg and meat were being marked down 8)  I staggered back with 4 carrier bags, but have had a lovely morning working through it all  :D

There's soup for lunch as planned, plus more to take for lunches at work next week.  There's chicken to roast for tea, chicken curry for 2 nights ready to go into the freezer once it is cool, a chicken pie already in the freezer and the slowcooker is full of beef and mushroom stew - enough for 3 nights at least.

Bar the odd onion and a few store cupboard ingredients, everything has come reduced price or from the dehydrated homegrown veg stash I have at my disposal  :D  :D  :D

Just got cooked quince and gooseberries defrosting now, along with some more pastry I found in the freezer.  Is it breeding in there   :unsure:  I'm planning a pie for pud tonight - reduced double cream natch  ;) :lol: 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Rainy day cooking
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 13:29 »
Great minds n all that!
I managed to nab half-price Co op chickens as well  :lol:

So by this evening I'll have, roast for today and leftovers for a few days -  plus curry and stew, portioned ready for the freezer  :lol:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 13:48 »
It is good when an unexpected windfall comes your way  ;)  Meat is so expensive at the moment, I splurged and stocked up while I could  :D

The chickens even got a reduced lettuce to peck - its in shreds round the runs now  ::) - and then I got a 'money off your next shop voucher' with my receipt  :lol:

Chrysalis

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 16:42 »
May I come to stay this week, please? :nowink:  Could do with some home cooking, other than my own.....  ;)

It sounds delish!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 16:57 »
If only you were closer Chrys  ;)  :lol:

I never did get the soup for lunch.  OH had his first and accidently polished the whole lot off.  Well that was his story  ::)   Good job my lunches were stashed in the fridge or he would have had them too  :lol:

wighty

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 17:32 »
I cooked a beef in Guiness casserole once for husband and uncle who was staying for the weekend.  I was out at work and when I came in they told me they had enjoyed their dinner and that they had saved some for me.  All that was left was the gravy, not one piece of meat, mushroom or anything else in it! :D

sarajane

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 19:48 »
I love to make jam and chutneys on rainy days.

Unfortunately when you have a glut of say blackberries and no room in the freezer it still has to be made even if the weather is fine.

chrissie B

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 18:43 »
just nabbed a small leg of lamb from lidl so that will be a nice greek lamb dish on my next rainy day
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

xx
Back to rainy day cooking again

Started by New shoot on Kitchen Natter

18 Replies
Last post October 29, 2014, 19:52
by Madame Cholet
clip
Haybox cooking?

Started by Toosje on Kitchen Natter

4 Replies
Last post May 25, 2018, 11:45
by Toosje
xx
Cooking properly

Started by mrs bouquet on Kitchen Natter

2 Replies
Last post September 06, 2022, 17:22
by mumofstig
xx
Any one got Harry Mcgee on food and cooking

Started by Madame Cholet on Kitchen Natter

10 Replies
Last post March 15, 2015, 21:49
by Madame Cholet

Page created in 0.441 seconds with 35 queries.