New Blubell OK, but poos rather yellow and sloppy

• 3 Replies

ChickenChris

New Blubell OK, but poos rather yellow and sloppy
« on: October 31, 2011, 14:31 »
Hello there,

I have been keeping 4 chickens for about 18 months now. They are 2 Bluebells and 2 Calder Rangers. 
About 6 weeks ago we lost the weakest of the Bluebells so we decided to replace with another point of lay Bluebell. After a couple of frought weeks when pecking order was being established things have settled down and all four birds are getting along fine.

Only thing now is that the "new" Bluebell seems to be doing rather sloppy yellow poos, apart from that she is healthy, active and is part of the crowd. She eats well and has started to lay about 10 days ago, her eggs are a little smaller (to be expected) but well formed. As well as a mixture of corn and layers pellets they all have a midday meal of wheatatbix+spinach (not much green left in the garden at this time of year) with the occasional treats of chopped up grapes. They have been treated for worms using Verm-X and have flea treatment in their coop.
The girls are called Hettie-Edwina-Patience and Newbie

Should i be worried about the poos?

thanks

kegs

Re: New Blubell OK, but poos rather yellow and sloppy
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 14:57 »
Hi

You might find these two threads of interest.   One shows pics of poo and the second is all about the best worming treatments to use.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=4348.0

Verm-X is an organic treatment using natural ingredients and most chicken keepers prefer using Flubenvet which you mix to their pellets (cut out all treats while they are having this) or buying a bag of pellets with the Flubenvet already added.  I hope your new bluebell gets better.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 15:47 »
she may also have an upset digestive system owing to the change of diet.
Verm-X is a preventative, the only wormer licensed to use is Flubenvet as this has been tested on poultry and is recognised by DEFRA.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 20:58 »
Hi ChickenChris, welcome to the forums.  :)

One of my chickens recently went through a funny-yellow-poos stage.  I never did work out what the problem was, but she seems to have settled down now and is back to normal.  Personally I think if you observe your Newbie well (as you have obviously been doing) and she is healthy and active you probably have no need to worry.

As others have said, the herbal wormers aren't very effective.  If Newbie has brought worms with her from her previous home, you will need to worm your whole flock with something like Flubenvet.  I tried all the herbal remedies on my flock and they didn't work, so I've ended up using a wormer from the vet.

P.S. I have a chicken named Patience too.  :)  My others are Phoebe, Elsie, Sylvia, Pearl and Minnie-Rose.

xx
Broody poos

Started by Casey76 on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post May 04, 2010, 13:42
by TeaPots
xx
lethargic yellow poo 5 mo hen

Started by layle on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post February 25, 2024, 20:13
by New shoot

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 40 queries.