Help needed after loss of chooks

• 5 Replies

Khususi

Help needed after loss of chooks
« on: September 02, 2010, 12:13 »
Today I have just had my beatiful buff Orp Tallulah PTS and two weeks ago my handsome blue frizzled cochin cockerel Bruiser died. I have a lavender leghorn and a Dutch braekel bantam remaining who at the moment look to be in good health. However, I am concerned this could change and don't really want to lose any more chooks. Also we were just considereing rehoming some other hens which will now be on hold until I can get to the bottom of what killed the others. This is where I would appreciate any advice from more experienced owners than I.

We got the four chooks together this time last year. The cockerel always seemed 'not quite right' and after a few months we very nearly lost him with a very sudden onset resp infection. Large vet bill later and he pulled through. He still failed to thrive though but having taken him to a general vet I got little extra help. Then he became more and more lethargic, stopped crowing & jumping on his girls but with no other clinicla signs. Next thing we found him dead. Tallulah then went a little off colour but as she had just lot her buddy & was moulting I didn't think too much of it. However, she quickly became lethargic, lost weight and went on to have greenish foul-smelling diarhoea. Vet put her on baytril but no specific diagnosis other than it could be coccidiosis. A day later she was v poorly and I called it a day.

I have had a faecal sample sent off but gather this may not be conclusive. In other people's experience does this sound like coccidiosis? What should I do to protect my other hens? They free range over 1/4 acre but obviously shared the hen house? I'm thinking I should clean the house with Bi-oo-cyst & perhaps treat with Coxoid? When might it be safe to add any other hens?

Sorry about the essay but I just want to feel like I'm doing something... Thanks.

Kathie

• Experienced Member
Re: Help needed after loss of chooks
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 12:35 »
Khususi,  My heart goes out to you at this sad time.

I can't help but just wanted to acknowledge your post and give you a bit of support.  I know how hard it is to lose your pets, we lost our cockerel Sid, a few months ago and are still upset about it.
This site is great and I am sure a more experienced member will be along soon with some practical help/suggestions

best wishes
Kathie
3 dogs now, 2 passed RIP Poppy and Paige, one wonderful husband and a new adventure on this wonderful island

ehs284

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 12:45 »
Hi Khususi,
Not nice and I feel for you. From the books (not experience) it could be coccidiosis, but can I make a plea? Don't rehome any birds until you know the problem and  they are fine. Otherwise you could just be giving someone else heartache.
Very best of luck.

Khususi

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 14:10 »
Thanks peeps for your kind thoughts and don't worry - until we know our other girls are safe, and what has caused this, we certainly won't be putting our selves or any other chooks in the firing line for further heartache.

frickinradical

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 20:19 »
orpington and cochins are very prone to cardivascular diseases and heart attacks, it's one of the negatives with these breeds. because they're so big and round it puts stress on their heart and they can just keel over dead, 5 out of 8 of mine did the same thing earlier this year and typicaly the only surviving ones were all cocks. if the other leghorn and dutch are doing fine then i don't think it's an infection or anything like that. It's so sad but it's the price the breed has had to pay for breeders making them bigger and bigger.

Jeanette

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 08:47 »
I am sorry to say that i cant help but i am so so sorry aboyt loosing your girls.

xx
my new chooks- advice needed

Started by jhub on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 30, 2010, 10:08
by jhub
xx
HELP Needed Poorly Chooks :(

Started by hazelize_uk on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 02, 2008, 12:56
by scott bell
xx
Chooks or 'Not fair' chooks ??

Started by Mega on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 04, 2010, 20:55
by Bantymad
question
Help needed please... advice on chicks needed

Started by newatthis on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 21, 2010, 17:26
by Sassy

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 38 queries.