Pruning buddlea globosa

• 4 Replies

RubyRed

• Experienced Member
Pruning buddlea globosa
« on: January 20, 2019, 19:20 »
   It flowers on last year's growth and it was best to trim after flowering last August. Trouble is i forgot and now I don't know if to leave it this year or lightly trim in February. Will it hurt to leave it this year. I don't want to over prune because we are hopefully getting bees and don't want to lose any chance of flowers. Thanks

DHM

• Experienced Member
Re: Pruning buddlea globosa
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 19:58 »
Edited, sorry I just saw the globosa bit, my advice was for regular buddleia.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 20:00 by DHM »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 20:45 »
I've usually hacked my B. globosa in early spring, not realising I should have done it after flowering!  Though I can't remember what impact on flowering it had …

If flowers are your aim this year, then I'd leave it as it is unless it's too big for its spot.  Mine has been left unpruned for several years with no ill effects, other than having to be attacked with a proper saw in places when I eventually did prune it  :ohmy:

RHS info on the plant: https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/2453/Buddleja-globosa/Details
RHS pruning info (group 2): https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=197
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 20:46 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

RubyRed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 21:07 »
    Thanks Yorker will do. Though looking at it I'm confused as to why I can't hard prune as there are breaks in the stem with new shoots all the way down like an ordinary buddlea.  :unsure:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 09:09 »
It won't harm it to prune now Ruby, but you will get less flowers.  If you cut the lead buds off with the ends of the branches, the ones lower will take over and you may well get a second flowering later in the year to make up for it.

The general rule of thumb for anything flowering before the summer solstice is that they flower on old wood, so you prune once they have flowered.  This gives the shrub time to make new wood that will flower the following year. 

With anything flowering after that, they usually flower on new wood.  You prune over winter or early spring, so you get a spurt of new woody growth for flowers.

With most shrubs, if you prune at the 'wrong' time of year the plant survives just fine.  You just may not see many flowers.  If you have an overgrown triffid that is taking over, that might not matter so much to you anyway  :)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 09:11 by New shoot »

xx
Pruning

Started by AlaninCarlisle on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post October 16, 2021, 06:38
by Growster...
xx
Fuchsia pruning

Started by Neil Doncaster on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post January 19, 2012, 09:18
by Neil Doncaster
xx
Pruning Lilac

Started by Celtic Eagle on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post June 23, 2010, 19:56
by Trillium
xx
pruning budlea

Started by Neil Doncaster on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post November 01, 2015, 18:24
by Neil Doncaster

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 44 queries.