Potato Blackleg - new seed supplier?

• 17 Replies

Grubbypaws

Potato Blackleg - new seed supplier?
« on: June 21, 2018, 13:17 »
Serious outbreak of black leg amidst my T&M Vivaldi potatoes. If you are growing this variety I would give them a good looking over asap.

Grubbypaws

Re: potato black leg
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 13:28 »
Serious outbreak of black leg amidst my T&M Vivaldi potatoes. If you are growing this variety I would give them a good looking over asap.

I meant T&M Setanta NOT Vivaldi. Sorry  ::) The Vivaldi are adjacent but fine at the moment but I have had to take out 4 entire Setanta haulms and I suspect that there will be more to come  :(

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 14:36 »
I meant T&M Setanta NOT Vivaldi. Sorry  ::) The Vivaldi are adjacent but fine at the moment but I have had to take out 4 entire Setanta haulms and I suspect that there will be more to come  :(
Setanta is supposed to have high resistance to Blackleg  :wacko:
Varieties

Grubbypaws

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 17:12 »
I would be interested to know if anyone else is having the same problem.

It is possible that I may have not helped; the potatoes are mulched with strulch to keep them weed free and I wonder whether i haven’t created lovely damp warm conditions for the bacterium to thrive?

Grubbypaws

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 09:02 »
Now the Vivaldi have succumbed. Is it a T&M problem or am I just unlucky?
 :( :( :(

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 09:45 »
Is the potato patch weedy? as having a lot of weeds growing round the plants also increases the risk. Although the industry has recognised that it is increasing problem.
The effect of irrigation on blackleg development was greater in the south, probably due to a drier environment. On some occasions over-irrigation resulted in greater blackleg development. .....disease development is very dependent on the temperature and moisture levels in both field and store.

https://potatoes.ahdb.org.uk/agronomy/plant-health-weed-pest-disease-management/blackleg-and-soft-rot

Another thought, are they actually going black and the stems rotting, or is it just early yellowing/die back of the foliage from the hot weather?

Grubbypaws

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 15:15 »
Unfortunately the stems are going black and rotten.

They are growing in containers so no weeds. The soil in the containers has never met a potato before so the only thing that I can think of is that the seed potatoes were infected.

I have contacted T&M to warn them that they might have a problem and they are going to investigate.

If anyone else has had a problem with T&M seed potatoes I am sure that they would want to know so that they can sort any problems.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 16:10 »
The Lady Christl plants I have mentioned in another current thread were from Taylor's - despite growing them in a patch of ground I don't think I've ever grown potatoes in before, up to a fifth of them have blackleg. Prior to this, I've only ever had the occasional plant with the disease.

From Gurgling around the subject, I get the impression the problem has increased in recent years, and even certified seed potatoes aren't guaranteed to be free from it (or anything else for that matter.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2018, 12:46 »
From Gurgling around the subject, I get the impression the problem has increased in recent years, and even certified seed potatoes aren't guaranteed to be free from it (or anything else for that matter.)
In the site in the link above, it says much the same and what the industry is trying to do about it. Apparently we should make sure our seed potatoes are from the UK as it is even worse in other EU countries  :ohmy:

Grubbypaws

seed potatoes
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2018, 09:42 »
I am having a heart breaking time as I see my potatoes one by one succumbing to blackleg. T&M have been very concerned and have refunded me my costs but I really don’t want to go through this experience ever again  :( :( :(
Can anyone  recommend where I can purchase my seed potatoes next year please.

LILLILEAF

Re: seed potatoes
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2018, 10:14 »
what are the signs of blackleg,1 ofmy plants is looking a bit sick.Lillileaf

Grubbypaws

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2018, 11:26 »
what are the signs of blackleg,1 ofmy plants is looking a bit sick.Lillileaf
Initially the plants look unhealthy and wilt. In this weather you might think they are just too hot but if you look at the base of the haulm it appears black and if you leave it they just rot. I have attached a couple of pictures of a haulm I removed yesterday.
blackleg.jpg
blackleg2jpg.jpg

LILLILEAF

Re: Potato Blackleg - new seed supplier?
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2018, 16:42 »
thank you for the pictures i will check the plant later when it has cooled down,do i just have to take the foliage off the top or dig upthe whole plant?.

AnneB

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2018, 16:54 »
I am having a heart breaking time as I see my potatoes one by one succumbing to blackleg. T&M have been very concerned and have refunded me my costs but I really don’t want to go through this experience ever again  :( :( :(
Can anyone  recommend where I can purchase my seed potatoes next year please.
Is there a local potato day anywhere near you?   Our local organic group hold an annual potato day in early February every year.  There is a much wider choice than from the usual suppliers and at ours you pay by the tuber, this year it was 15p.  It allows you to have a variety.  This year I have 4 rows, 1 each of Jazzy, Red Duke of York, Kestrel and Ambo. Plus 5 bags with 3 tubers in each of Pentland Javelin, Nicola, Charlotte, Pink Fir Apple and Sarpo Una.  All healthy apart from 1 Jazzy tuber that died for no obvious reason!

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Potato Blackleg - new seed supplier?
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2018, 16:59 »
thank you for the pictures i will check the plant later when it has cooled down,do i just have to take the foliage off the top or dig upthe whole plant?.

If you gently tug one of the stems it will probably pull out easily if it's blackleg, and the end will be rotting away.

If it looks sickly it's probably because it's succumbed to some disease or other and is unlikely to recover - best to dig it out anyway IMHO (there may be some usable tubers if it was growing well for long enough.)

xx
Seed potato supplier selection.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 17, 2021, 10:51
by bobbyt
xx
Potato blackleg

Started by hasbeans on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 20, 2019, 05:58
by hasbeans
xx
potato blackleg

Started by brookegard on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 20, 2011, 12:42
by brookegard
question
Potato blackleg? Dig them all up??

Started by BarefootDancer on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 22, 2010, 13:44
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 37 queries.