Garlic.....

• 12 Replies

Steve.B

• Experienced Member
Garlic.....
« on: September 22, 2009, 18:43 »
Hi, Just thinking can I plant last years Garlic as you would from seed saved from a plant the year before?
The Garlic is from Solent Wight cloves last year. I have loads so won't be missed, and saves money.
Or should I buy the same again?

DavidT

Re: Garlic.....
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 19:01 »
As long as the cloves are firm and healthy I don`t see a problem. If you don`t try you`ll never know. :lol: :D

Steve.B

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 19:05 »
Thanks. I know not to buy from the super market but I thought this would be ok.

boybeck

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 20:55 »
I have two garlic bulbs to plant.  Is it best to pop them in a seed tray to get them started or do they go straight in the ground?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 20:59 »
At this time of year, they don't need a head start. Split the bulbs up and plant the cloves individually.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Comfortably Numb

• Experienced Member
    • Dung Beetle's Allotment Plots
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 07:22 »
At this time of year, they don't need a head start. Split the bulbs up and plant the cloves individually.

Is there any advantage in covering garlic with fleece through the winter, or is it un-neccessary? I'm thinking more of protection from birds really.
Cheers, Comfortably Numb.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long ..........................

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 08:47 »
It is not necessary to fleece them, they won't suffer from birds unlike onion sets, as they are planted below the surface.

Garlic needs a period of cold in order to "clove" (divide), so from that point of view it's unwise to molly-coddle them.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 11:57 »
I have just bought 2KG of Porcelain garlic and the plan is to next year eat half and then plant half and hopefully repeat for several years. Total outlay £30 for years of garlic.... well that is the plan :)

Comfortably Numb

• Experienced Member
    • Dung Beetle's Allotment Plots
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 13:48 »
It is not necessary to fleece them, they won't suffer from birds unlike onion sets, as they are planted below the surface.

Garlic needs a period of cold in order to "clove" (divide), so from that point of view it's unwise to molly-coddle them.

Thanks DD. That saves a job then  :)

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 16:18 »
While I agree with DD for the most part, a few of you will have pigeons pulling out the new garlic sprouts thinking they're lovely greens. The cloves are easily pushed back into the soil but its still a bother to keep checking. Not all of you will have this problem but if you notice it happening, then put some netting up rather than fleece to keep the little blighters from adding to your workload. I know that in the past few years a few members had terrible bird problems with garlic sprouting.

Steve.B

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 14:23 »
Adding on from above is it worth planting out Garlic left over from last year which has green sprouts coming from the top. All my other bought Garlic went in in November.
I have space so could use them to fill a bit of space.

Muddylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 16:53 »
While I agree with DD for the most part, a few of you will have pigeons pulling out the new garlic sprouts thinking they're lovely greens. The cloves are easily pushed back into the soil but its still a bother to keep checking. Not all of you will have this problem but if you notice it happening, then put some netting up rather than fleece to keep the little blighters from adding to your workload. I know that in the past few years a few members had terrible bird problems with garlic sprouting.

So that's what's doing it, I wondered why a couple of my garlics had apparently jumped out of their holes. Thanks for that.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 17:51 »
Adding on from above is it worth planting out Garlic left over from last year which has green sprouts coming from the top. All my other bought Garlic went in in November.
I have space so could use them to fill a bit of space.

It's always worth a try  :)

xx
When is Garlic ready to be used as Green Garlic?

Started by Headgardener22 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 01, 2012, 12:55
by arugula
clip
Elephant garlic or ordinary garlic

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 14, 2022, 13:46
by cc
xx
Elephant Garlic / Garlic

Started by dapper on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 08:25
by dapper
xx
garlic

Started by red tomato on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 05, 2013, 19:03
by red tomato

Page created in 0.367 seconds with 40 queries.