Cool!

• 11 Replies

monkey_drummer

Cool!
« on: April 10, 2006, 15:55 »
Hi,

This is my first full year with my allotment in Leeds. My question is, I have not planted anything yet as I have been told that there are still night frosts occuring. Is this true? It feels very late to be planting, and most of my "growing calendars" say that I should have planted by now. I'm confused and don't want to miss this growing season.

Thanks

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
Cool!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 15:59 »
It was lower than 2C here in Greater London last night (it was 2C by 9AM or so, that's why I say it must have gotten colder last night).
Some stuff you can plant before the last frost date for your area because it just doesn't come up very quickly and by the time it has, the last frost date has past.
Other stuff likes a nice cold spell to kick it out of dormancy. I planted my garlic and shallots in February and they're growing lovely now.
My early potatoes still haven't made a showing and I planted those the end of March. If your soil isn't sopping wet, you can sow some thing now but it does depend on what you're growing. Plus we're a nosey bunch and like to hear about what other people are growing ;)
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

monkey_drummer

Cool!
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 16:04 »
hmm, not really sure yet! I was going to plant some new potatoes, leeks, turnip and cauliflower

EDIT: Most of my instructions tell me to plant then move to the main growing area? Does this mean i should plant my seeds into little trays, or can I chuck em in the ground straight off?

flowerofshona

Cool!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 16:59 »
You can get some broadbeans, spring onions, and some first early peas in to get you going but hang back just a little on the onion sets ect for a few weeks just incase.
I start 80% of my stuff off at home as it gives me a head start and leaves room on the plot for other crops.
Have a look around your allotment site and ask some of the old hands as they know the site and go with there surgestions :)

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Cool!
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 23:18 »
How come you say to hang back on onion sets? I thought they were hardy. Just planted out my onions grown from seeds in modules - - fingers very crosed!
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

flowerofshona

Cool!
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 07:45 »
i have planted mine out but then im down on the south coast and it quite a bit warmer down here, onion sets do best when not planted into cold ground so i would either wait for it to warm up a little or cover the onion patch with plastic for a few days.
I would always have a chat with other site members to gauge when the best time is in that area, if its in a 'pocket' and warm  they will know :D
I seam to remember we had a chat a while ago about cold soil and testing it with a part of the body best kept under wraps at all times  :lol:

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Cool!
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 09:28 »
Or a soil thermometer!

You can find that different types of soil effect things - sandy soils seem to warm faster than clay. Although I've no 'scientific' evidence for this just anecdotal.

One thing I've noticed is that there are a lot of newbies on our site and I assume others as the idea of allotment growing has come back strong.

Some of these newbies have wonderful results armed with one small gardening book and the instructions off the back of the seed packet. This does little for the ego of the more experienced holders!!

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
Cool!
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 11:21 »
This is probably useful for everyone needing general soil temperature in their area.
http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/HOBBIES/gardening.asp
Put in the first half of your post code at the top and it will show you the soil temperature for your area over the next 48 hours.

I've also planted out half of my onion sets already (two of them had sprouted  :shock: ) and they seem to be doing okay. The two with sprouts seem to be getting greener sprouts. Of course since this latest cold spell, I've covered everything with fleece. I'm getting impatient about my seeds, I want them up now!  :tongue2:

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Cool!
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 12:43 »
Brilliant link - thanks

I'm amending the link in allotment weather to that one.

twhincup

• http://www.crazyhorsetrading.com
Cool!
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 18:06 »
I planted, carrot seed, broad beans, onions, and raspberies about 3 to 4 weeks ago.  We've had 3 nights of frost and hope they'll all survive. The only thing not showing yet are the carrots  :cry:

tublet

met check
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 21:48 »
:lol: hi, thanks for the web link to met check, my soil is around 9 degrees. I was thinking of buying a a thermometre but finances are rather tight. This will help.
Home is where my garden is. I now have 2 homes.

noshed

cool
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 00:05 »
It's either the balcony ot the windowsill here. So everything is a bit small at the moment. Lets's hope for a long summer!
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

xx
Keeping parsnips cool

Started by gremlin on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 22, 2012, 09:38
by savbo
xx
Is it cool to gather seaweed?

Started by Jamboian on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 18, 2015, 21:34
by ptarmigan
xx
Cool Way to Store Potatoes

Started by LittleRedHen on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 28, 2009, 21:18
by HilaryG
xx
Too cool for Toms in the greenhouse?

Started by rhysdad on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 17, 2010, 12:47
by Kristen

Page created in 0.374 seconds with 39 queries.