Comfrey - new article posted

• 28 Replies

noshed

comfrey
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2006, 16:35 »
That's great. I'll PM you grannieannie. Thanks
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2006, 20:35 »
Hi John, I felt a bit guilty after saying that about the comfrey root, when you had talked about selling your cuttings!  Hope you didn't think i was trying to steal your thunder??  Its just that I am quite an impulsive so and so and quite kind hearted really, that's why I'm not rich!! lol.

Funnily enough, I had been thinking about taking some root cuttings and potting them up and putting them out the front when I do my other bits this spring, but then I thought, what if no one wants them?  How many people know how good comfrey is???  But after your posting, I made up my mind and went out and dug up the bit that rooted itself under my pot!  Boy does that root go down a long way!!!  I have LOADS of 3inch pots.  We went to an auction 2 years ago, and there were all these banana boxes full of 3inch pots.  Well, I only wanted 1 box full, but had to buy all 15 boxes!  I got them for £15 and there's at least 500 in each box, so the comfrey cuttings won't cost me much to pot up, and if I sell them really cheap, hopefully more will go.  How will you sell yours John?  just on the allotments, or do you have another outlet?

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2006, 21:32 »
Hi, don't feel guilty one little bit. I certainly didn't feel you were trying to steal my thunder.

I was intending to offer them online off the site but I've got so much on that it's really not worth it. I too have promised some cuttings to people, which I will deliver when the plants start coming back up.

If you think it would help you sell some comfrey, feel free to print off the leaflet I put online LINK
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2006, 21:40 »
Thanks for that John, I could print off a copy and put it with the pots for sale couldn't I?  I've just been into the link and read the article, its good.  See, it says in there abut the Allantoin, and I didn't read it word by word yet, but didn't see anything about it being good for ulcers too!  Wouldn't have minded slapping a poultice on Mum's legs, but would feel a little doubtful about drinking the stuff!!!! lol

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2006, 22:08 »
Oh, do take care about suggesting people drink it as there is some obscure American evidence it can cause liver damage. You'd have to drink an awful lot, though :)
I was aiming at the garden benefits so only went into the medicinal briefly, but I get the feeling you could explain it well.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2006, 22:28 »
LOL, wasn't going to suggest to anyone that they drink it either!  I did see that bit in your article about the woman who had liver damage, after drinking so much of the stuff.  The way they put it on ulcers is the same as your article said about using it for wounds.  they use a poultice and tie it over the ulcers.  So I only know what I learned because of My Mum.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2006, 23:09 »
I bought some comfrey and lanolin ointment many years ago - it's very good on small cuts, scrapes  and things like nettle rash. Probably banned under some EU ruling now .

kooringa

• Experienced Member
    • http://kooringa.com
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2006, 23:38 »
Quote from: "john"
I bought some comfrey and lanolin ointment many years ago - it's very good on small cuts, scrapes  and things like nettle rash. Probably banned under some EU ruling now .

Probably not - I was thinking of making some - I will find out from a herbalist I know and come back to you about it.

I am into making soap and other things too now - so am even more excited this year about growing herbs etc up the lottie.
Visit my website to see my chickens, quail, allotment and much more -

pete

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2006, 17:07 »
any one know where I can get hold of some. I've been trying from my local garden centre for the past two years on and off because of empty promises that they could get it. i went back there last weekend and they said it is something they can't get hold of anymore. As i don't drive it is a bit of a pain.

noshed

comfrey
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2006, 21:39 »
The Organic Garden catalogue sell it - or you could ask somone to swap you some.

pete

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2006, 21:41 »
:D  Thanks!

Jake

• Rockers
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2006, 11:52 »
I watched a River Cottage last night with Hugh Fernley Wittingstall and he cooked some comfrey with a giant puffball stuffed with other mushrooms, potatoe and pigeon meat. Looked lovely. He steamed the comfrey.

Is this the same sort of comfrey?
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2006, 19:59 »
Hi Jake, I remember Hugh F-W cooking the puff-ball, but don't remember him putting comfrey in it.  But is probably the same sort as I only know one sort of comfrey.  I bought my original plant as it has allantoin in which is supposed to be good for ulcers.  My Mum had a bad leg ulcer at the time and I was hoping it would help her get better, but she wouldn't try it, said it was a lot of mumbo jumbo, but now I just use it for liquid fertilizer or as a compost activator!

When we lived in Essex I saw a puff-ball growing down the lane.  I said to OH I wonder if they are any good to eat?  But the kids next door used it as a football for the 5 seconds before it split into little pieces, and it never grew there again!

Jake

• Rockers
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2006, 20:59 »
Well I've potted some comfrey roots today :wink:

They really sound like a wonder plant. Hugh didn't put comfrey IN the stuffed puffball but had it as a side veg. It was deffinately that growing wild.

I'd love to even SEE a puffball, let alone eat one. One day.

xx
soil excuse me if posted earlier

Started by Sapphire on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 02, 2009, 15:57
by Sapphire
xx
been a couple of weeks I think since I last posted - here's progression in pics

Started by issyb on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 17, 2011, 09:59
by RigsVilleBird
xx
just found this article

Started by Jo-n-Neil on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 22, 2008, 19:39
by Tinbasher
xx
Seed quality article

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 21, 2009, 16:21
by strangerachael

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 38 queries.