Comfrey - new article posted

• 28 Replies

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« on: December 04, 2005, 14:48 »
Hi - I have expanded my original article "Comfrey, The Wonder Plant" and published it here as a pdf so it can be printed easily.

I'm so impressed by this plant and hope others will find it useful. I may be selling roots cuttings next year as well,  but have listed other suppliers.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

kooringa

• Experienced Member
    • http://kooringa.com
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 20:22 »
First in the queue for root cuttings of comfrey please!!!

:lol:
Visit my website to see my chickens, quail, allotment and much more -

kooringa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 21:27 »
Phew, just been reading your comfrey article - everything you would ever need to know I imagine. Great article - and I can feed my chickens with it too.  Well done

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 08:27 »
Glad you found it of value. I'm always amazed by how productive it is when established.

One point I didn't mention is that it makes a good liquid feed for hanging baskets. But don't tell my wife  :wink:

kooringa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 08:40 »
As a woman she will not need telling I am sure  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 09:03 »
Actually (being more serious) I thought about trying making the concentrated liquid so I can bring some home in bottles for her.

The really good bit for gardeners is that the comfrey patch will thrive where most vegetable crops won't. Mine is on the sem-shaded wet patch at the bottom of the plot.  
L D Hills reported its use in Africa and productivity even with restricted water availability and its beneficial effects on egg production, both in quality and quantity. He was meticulous in his methods and his examples carefully researched and documented.

I have to wonder if comfrey is against the interests of 'agri business' and so does not get the support that the poor of the world would benefit from.

kooringa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2005, 09:29 »
Yes that is a very good point - and one which relates to all sorts of 'natural' things.

I have a plot at the bottom of my allotment by the bank that is just the spot for a comfrey bed.  It is ideal because it can go rampant if it wishes, as it is next to the hedgerow by the field at the back. I have a corrugated fence that I put up along  the allotment at the front and one side is a huge corrugated compost bid for those things that take years to rot down - twigs, perrennial weed roots etc which I will never use of course - and t'other side is a chicken wire fence with a living willow fence that I planted from cuttings - hoping it will grow!

In your article it sound such a great plant and good for chooks too, an added bonus.  So I intend to really go mad with it, in a secure and enclosed space so that it does not take over the world!

Must rush - out to go into town and then back to back yet another cake for the big do on Friday - wish me luck, ineed it at the moment

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2005, 09:39 »
Good Luck!

olde9856

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2005, 09:47 »
I grow mine under a couple of Sycamore trees where nothing else will grow and it does well, almost like a hedge.
If you use it as a hanging basket feed dilute it to look like weak tea or it will scorch the leaves of plants.

kooringa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2005, 10:48 »
Will do - if I ever do hanging baskets - I am too busy to faff about watering them twice a day usually.  But I would use it for my tubs so good tip.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2005, 11:13 »
Val has quite a few hanging baskets an wall mounted pots in the back garden in summer and watering them all was taking an hour a day. So we bought a drip watering kit (Wilkinsons if you have one near are the best price). It took about an hour to set up, fixing the pipe to the wall using cable clips being the hardest bit. Now it is just a matter of switching on a tap for an hour to drip water into them all. I used 2 outlets on bigger baskets - sort of balancing the output.
The same kit is great for greenhouse plants, growbags etc as well because you drip the water in slowly it soaks rather than running off leaving dry compost under.
When we found them at 75% off in Wlikos, I got another 3 kits to cover pots in the garden and the new greenhouse on the plot. When I get it built....
Good tip on the dilution, olde9856, thanks.

noshed

comfrey plants
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2006, 18:45 »
The only place I've seen these advertised is the organic gardening catalogue - are there any other sources. Presumably you can't plant any until the spring - any tips on starting plants off?
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2006, 19:22 »
I might sell a few cuttings myself come late April.

As I say in the article I start them off in pots of all purpose compost to just get them off to a good start. You can plant anytime between April and September but April / May is best in my opinion as you get  a light cut or two later in the year.

I did an expanded printable PDF on comfrey whiich is available HERE

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2006, 15:03 »
Talking about comfrey!  I bought my first one when we lived in Kent about 25 years ago, becaue the allantoin in it is good for leg ulcers.  My Mum had really bad ones, but she would never used it.  Then found out what a good liquid feed it made (stinks a bit, but what garden or allotment doesn't when you're manuring??).  then I took a cutting with me when we moved to Essex, lived there 6 years, and when we came here to Lincolnshire, I brought a cutting with me and kept it in a large pot on what is going to be the patio.  Well, it crept out the bottom of the pot, so I planted the potted one in the garden, down under the poplar tree, dug up the roots in the 'patio' and planted them near the poplar tree, and now the 'leftovers' in the 'patio' are growing again.  Anyone want a bit of root?

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2006, 15:58 »
That's a very kind offer. You can post comfrey root but wrap it in damp newspaper and pop in a plastic bag.

xx
soil excuse me if posted earlier

Started by Sapphire on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 02, 2009, 15:57
by Sapphire
xx
been a couple of weeks I think since I last posted - here's progression in pics

Started by issyb on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 17, 2011, 09:59
by RigsVilleBird
xx
just found this article

Started by Jo-n-Neil on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 22, 2008, 19:39
by Tinbasher
xx
Article on growing oriental veg

Started by Sheena on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 29, 2007, 12:55
by Lynne

Page created in 0.431 seconds with 38 queries.