Best, most toxic rat poison

• 22 Replies

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
Best, most toxic rat poison
« on: April 19, 2010, 07:48 »
 :blink:

Peoples opinions on what is best to use please :)

I have got to do something about the rats at the yard where the silkies are kept :(

I have put down some of the traps and they ignore them..... I have now put down something I got in Wilkinsons.... Blue block type bait which hopefull will start to kick in soon.

But is there anything considered to be very effective??
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

Sassy

Re: Best, most toxic rat poison
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 08:43 »
Sorry I am not in a position to recommend a good brand. I know that if you spoke to 20 farmers you would get 20 different answers. Most good brands are probably about as good as each other.

If you use a professional they can use much stronger poisons, thereby getting a quicker result. The ones you use the rats have to eat quite a lot before they become effective. Good luck :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 09:34 »
If you have a rat problem you ought to call in the council rat man as I think infestations are supposed to be reported.  I had rats at my home on the day we moved in, they were playing on the lawn   :mad:  My husband borrowed an air rifle and spent the evening shooting the darn things. I rang the council and he came out four times to get rid of the stragglers. I was glad I called them in as you can't cope with rats all over the place esp with chickens

neil9797

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 18:57 »
I think the best ones are the little lead pellets you dispense from a special gun thingy... :D

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 19:01 »
I'll lend you my semi-feral Rufus  :tongue2: Expert ratter, just requires biscuits once a day and if you make sure you don't touch him, but talk to him about what a good boy he is when he brings them to you he keeps going until they are all gone ;)

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 21:33 »
Ha ha..... I have two supposed ratters.... miniature schnauzers!!!  They were bred for vermin control..... but they are pants :(

We also have a farm cat, but its great at catching anything but rats!!  Robins, ickle mice, shrews etc are all a gonner.... but rats... oh dahling.... no!!

I dont think I need to report it as its on a farm, I cant think of any farm that hasnt got rats.....  there were rats there long before me :) I just want the problem sorted in my chickens area (which I know isnt possible..) and if I can kill those rats, then hopefully the problem will be smaller :)

I did have a report from one of the liveries today that there was a dead rat in her stable....  :blink: so perhaps its started working already :)

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 09:02 »
If you are in countryside on a farm I would ask around, there is usually someone with ratting terriers that is only too happy to come and help.

wyandotty

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 09:11 »
Contact the local Hunt, they have terrier guys who will sort the problem out for you.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 15:37 »
I'm having rat problems too.

We've 2 young rats that are using the girls run as a play pen.  At the moment they are too small to set off the Fenn traps, so I'm using Eradibait.  Have just ordered another tub.

If that fails, then it will  have to be the council rat man.  But I know I'll just get told it's my own fault for having chickens, so that's a last resort!

Brother in Law has offered to lend me an air rifle, but I'm a bit uncertain about using it so close to the girls.  Can pellets ricochet?

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 20:50 »
Dont try to shoot them near the chooks :(  Airgun pellets do indeed richochet or however you spell it :)

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 21:12 »
I've had a word with Rufus and he is happy to come and stay with anyone who wants him to help with their rats  ;) Mainly because the little terror woke we at 5 am as he had crawled into the draw under the bed before I went to bed and somehow got himself stuck in there - I was terrified as I couldnt work out what the heck was going on  :ohmy: :lol:

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 21:34 »
Stick him a box and send him down....  dont forget to put the fragile tape on and a couple of holes in the box :tongue2:

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 22:10 »
Happily if he terrifies me in the night like that again (we've had a series of break-ins in the street and living alone it really had me shaking!)  ::)

I agree entirely on the ricochet from pellet guns - just not worth the risk so close to chooks.

Hopefully a different poison will work for you  :)

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 08:17 »
Hopefully its sorted a bit for now.... since I cleaned it all out there have been no fresh droppings and no bait taken :)  I have also hung the feeder, but assume a rat could still jump up if he wanted to ;)

They have either died.... Yay..... or moved into one of the liveries quarters and is eating their horse feed ::)

Anyway, as long as they are not in with my ickle chickles I am happy :)

grumpydad

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 20:05 »
screwfix do a battery powered electric rat killer, no poison required, just a bit of bait to get the rat into the machine, and ZAP, dead rat

xx
Iris - toxic?

Started by Porffor on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2008, 18:28
by Porffor
xx
Name that poison

Started by Flowerpower136 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 20, 2017, 20:04
by Flowerpower136
xx
ivy poison or not ?

Started by coopready on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 23, 2009, 21:01
by nicchick
xx
rat poison

Started by upthetump on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2010, 20:24
by wighty

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 39 queries.