turkey was off, the ending.

• 40 Replies

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Re: Turkey was off
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2017, 09:36 »
Good luck - do let us know what the shopkeeper says to you.

Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

LILLILEAF

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2017, 15:16 »
I will let you know what they said tomorrow.

LILLILEAF

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2017, 13:08 »
I have phoned the butcher concerned they will give us a full refund of the price of the turkey,we shall take all the proof of purchase and the barcode off the packaging from the turkey so they know what batch it came from,this was better than I expected so I am happy with that.Lillileaf.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2017, 14:04 »
Did they have any idea of what happened?

It's nice they didn't argue and immediately offered you your money back, but still a bit of a blow to your Christmas Dinner plans.

LILLILEAF

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2017, 15:29 »
They did not argue at all,they offered a refund straight away no questions aked,we only have to take the proof of purchase in to show the manager,ahd we shall get the refund.

LILLILEAF

the turkey was off part 2!!
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2018, 09:10 »
As some of you would have read that our fresh turkey was off,i rang the shop we bouhgt it from,they said no problem you will get a full refund.
Part 2
My husband went with all paper work needed as requested and the bar code off the bag it was in,they have now refused us any refund >:( and say that we are lying :mad: as ther is no carcass,do you really think they would want rotting meat bought in there shop i did not think they would because of contamination,i was wrong question is do i fight it or forget the whole thing?,i have been very good and not told anyone where we bought it from so they can keep there reputation as good meat producers.
They say they sold 300 birds with no coplaints,what do we do?.
Do we have any rights as a cosumer?.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: the turkey was off part 2!!
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2018, 09:43 »
I've always taken back any meat that has been off, as soon as possible after noticing. Giving it back (well wrapped, obviously eugh! Is the only way to prove your point IMO.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Re: Turkey was off pt 2 added
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2018, 11:03 »
I would ring and ask to speak to the owner - then ask why they had said they would refund on the phone but refused in the shop. If they're still not playing straight..
Then I would post my story on any local facebook groups, their own FB page and tweet it.
You don't know for a fact that your turkey was off but you do know they mislead you on the phone. Just word your post carefully. The turkey smelt strange and we didn't think it safe to eat.
And I would contact the council - for all you know you could be complaint 100.

It's possible the turkey was fine and just smelt a bit strange to you - but what are you going to do on Christmas Eve when the shop is shut until whenever? The last thing you want is a family down with food poisoning. People do die from it even nowadays.

At the risk of sounding boastful, Val and I are experienced and knowledgeable about food safety - and the first rule is to use your nose. If it smells off then it's not worth the risk of eating it.  Some meats - like beef we're happy to eat (if it smells / tastes OK) past a useby date but pork and poultry products are a different matter.

LILLILEAF

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2018, 12:26 »
Thanks John for your information,as you say use your nose and common sence,i know the smell of bad meat even after washing the bird was off,as you say poultry is very dangerous to eat when off,i did not want the risk of being very ill.
They spoke to my husband yesterday,but they want to know which day i phoned and who i spoke to,i failed to ask the womans name because she said just speak to any memeber of staff and they will refund your money in full.
My husband spoke to the manager he basically said get stuuffed because he will lose £26.40,its not a sum of money we spend on meat it was a special occasion.
I have never been on face book i would not know how to use it.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2018, 13:09 »
Well I think it's disgraceful way to treat a customer and I'd certainly look to giving them £50 worth of bad publicity.  If you'd involved the health people they could have been in real problems.

Having your Christmas meal spoilt is no joke. Incidentally, I started off working in shops and I know some customers try it on (which I know isn't you)  BUT it was drummed into me that when in the wrong, make the customer happy. If I was that butcher you'd have walked out with a refund and some consolation like a large joint of beef.

Feel quite cross on your behalf!  >:(

LILLILEAF

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2018, 13:19 »
I will call in next week,take all paper work again and fight my corner,we have spent alot of money in this shop,we have stuck with it since it opened.
If we kept the turkey,it would have hat to stay in a shed as tyhere was no room in the freezer,the shop did not open till the thursday after Christmas,the turkey would have been rancid by then yuk.
Some thing as a good will jesture would have been nice but alass nothing but get stuffed off the manager :mad:.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2018, 13:45 »
Well if they don't change their attitude, let us know who they are and I'll just ask on the local sites if anyone else got a turkey that was off from them.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2018, 15:09 »
Lillileaf, I just wish that I'd been blessed with a level of patience like yours

LILLILEAF

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2018, 19:45 »
I have spoken to the shop owner today,he said we had no pictures or proof,we only had the receipts,but what good would a picture do when some thing is rotten??.
Well I stood my ground and we came to an agreement,in the end he has said we can have some vouchers to the value of £20,it does not cover the whole cost of the turkey or the disappointment of Christmas dinner,but it is a result better than nothing,so we shall carry on buying our meat at this shop.Lillileaf

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2018, 19:51 »
I'd use up the £20 and never go in again. Shame you hadn't still got it as you could have popped it back when they had a shop full.
 >:( >:( >:(

xx
is it turkey for Christmas ?

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

26 Replies
Last post December 16, 2022, 10:58
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 55 queries.