Paul O'Grady - For the Love of Dogs

• 13 Replies

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
Paul O'Grady - For the Love of Dogs
« on: June 27, 2013, 20:42 »
Why am I watching this.....?  10 mins in and I am in flitters....bawling my eyes out  :(

maxyboo

Re: Paul O'Grady - For the Love of Dogs
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 21:01 »
I can't watch any of those types of programmes. Years ago I was in tears when Rolf Harris announced a little hamster who had his leg broken by a horrible child, "didn't make it". Hubby turned the TV off  and forbade me from watching anything involving animals in peril or poorly. I do get a bit too emotionally involved. I do like how Paul seems to adore all his animals and treats them all as pets. I remember him talking about how vets didn't understand why he got so upset over his "farm animals" but to him they are pets the same as his dogs.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 21:08 »
I love paul hes a gem but the dogs dont do it for me, i am such a heartless cow really.

Dogs and me just dont go together after being attacked as a kid i wont ever give one house room.  :(

I dont trust dogs of any sort and my worry has rubbed off on my 12 year old. While down on the cliff side at boscastle my 12 clocked a dog we had missed, she fraked and ran straight forward in a panic. Hubby only just pulled her back from the edge by the hood of her coat. She had lost all sense and reason and couldnt focus on safety or her surroundings. Scary to say the least.

She was also wrestled with at the age of three by a bulldog who wanted her welly at a local stables, she was petrified and we couldnt pull her out of the boot.

Sorry completely off topic  :mellow:

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 21:10 »
I can't watch any of those types of programmes. Years ago I was in tears when Rolf Harris announced a little hamster who had his leg broken by a horrible child, "didn't make it". Hubby turned the TV off  and forbade me from watching anything involving animals in peril or poorly. I do get a bit too emotionally involved. I do like how Paul seems to adore all his animals and treats them all as pets. I remember him talking about how vets didn't understand why he got so upset over his "farm animals" but to him they are pets the same as his dogs.

I don't usually - but I thought 'Paul O'Grady - its sure to funny'.  Ho no it wasn't.  Well it sort of was - every story had a lovely ending.  But I still ended up weeping into a tissue.  I was hoping my OH didn't walk in while I was watching it.  It was suggested a long time ago that I didn't watch that sort of stuff.  Animals, children, cancer, etc etc.  Many a weekend has been spoilt by me obsessing over something that I've watched on TV.  I'm a bit better now though.  Though obviously not completely cured - I still have leaky eyes!

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 21:17 »
I love paul hes a gem but the dogs dont do it for me, i am such a heartless cow really.

Dogs and me just dont go together after being attacked as a kid i wont ever give one house room.  :(

I dont trust dogs of any sort and my worry has rubbed off on my 12 year old. While down on the cliff side at boscastle my 12 clocked a dog we had missed, she fraked and ran straight forward in a panic. Hubby only just pulled her back from the edge by the hood of her coat. She had lost all sense and reason and couldnt focus on safety or her surroundings. Scary to say the least.

She was also wrestled with at the age of three by a bulldog who wanted her welly at a local stables, she was petrified and we couldnt pull her out of the boot.

Sorry completely off topic  :mellow:

You're very preggers - we'll forgive you  :lol:

Lots of people have a dog phobia.  It must be really difficult to deal with when you're out and about.  Me, I'm afraid, am completely loop the loop about any animals.  I had the most lovely cuddle today with a Jack Russell/Chihuahua cross and a good old chat with her owners.  Never met them before but we chatted for about 10 minutes about all sorts of stuff!

Beetroot queen

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 21:23 »
I am fairly ok when out if dogs are on leads or where i can see them.
My daughter is a different kettle of fish, she goes into meltdown and runs with no regard for safety or roads.  :unsure: i usually clock the dog first and grab her and talk her through it, we often have to cross the road and she hides behind me. I am sure people think we are weird.

I do worry about her being out alone, i have very sheltered kids who dont go out. Lol she is always with me or hubby, only recently she has been out with her 15 year old brother but he knows what she is like.
I am hoping little florence doesnt pick up on it all but thats another reason why i push my babies in a vintage silver cross pram. Higher, safer, facing mummy.  :lol:

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 21:38 »
If you're frightened, you're frightened.  End of.  Thats not weird.  We were on hols last year and met a family who's daughter (I think she was about 15ish) was TERRIFIED of dogs.  They had to go to a different beach rather than the one within walking distance because dogs were allowed on it.  We were staying in the same complex of holiday flats so I guess we were their worst nightmare as we had our little Jack Russell with us.  But after a couple of weeks the daughter could talk to our dog through the french windows of their apartment and enjoyed watching her playing fetch.  I would get the dog to do her tricks to make the daughter laugh too  :)

wil4025

• Experienced Member
    • Williams Allotment & Garden Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 23:28 »
We both love this program and I want a dog so bad, but we dont have to room yet, but once we get a bigger house that is the first thing on my list, I nice wag for us :)
Kind Regards
Bill

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 06:18 »
I can't watch any of those types of programmes.

Same here.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 14:10 »
the only criticism I have of this programme is that they make it look like you see a dog on their website and go and get it - they should also show the home checks (I am a volunteer home checker) and the form filling and fee you pay.
Staffies are softer than you think.

compostqueen

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 19:09 »
I got attacked by a dog when I was ten and my leg got a right bite. Dog just ran to me and bit me. I was on the other side of the road to it and not interacting with it at all. The wound swelled up and my mother was terrified I'd get lockjaw  :nowink:  I had three tetanus jabs over a period of 18 months.  It didn't make me hate dogs though. I love dogs. People who are scared of dogs pass on their fear to their children, which is a shame.  A healthy respect for dogs is a good thing to learn though.  I love horses but from a safe distance  :D

I think the programme is lovely as was Rolf's one  :)

spottymint

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 09:48 »
I like dogs, cats like me, hence I have 3 unwanted cats.

I do love this programme, I went for a job interview at Battersea once & worked a day there.
Its a really sad place, they are not showing you the worst case scenarios on that show, most dogs get better or go to a new home.

They don't show you the one's owners dump, who then try to bite the vet ect & are put down the following morning ( I do understand, it's a safety thing), they can't rehome a unsafe dog.

I too was bitten as a child, but it hasn't put me off dog's, I just want to drop kick Peckeneses's when I see one ! (Iwouldn't do it, really) But I did walk wide of one the other day.

Paul does make that programme, hopefully it helps to rehome neglected dogs.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2013, 12:50 »
we can but hope cant we.
Welcome back Spotty by the way  :)

wil4025

• Experienced Member
    • Williams Allotment & Garden Blog
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2013, 15:52 »
All finished now, so sad, love this show.

xx
Dogs (don't you just love them)

Started by danfinn1 on Pets without Feathers

8 Replies
Last post February 09, 2016, 20:53
by Trikidiki
xx
Gotta love these dogs...

Started by Trillium on Pets without Feathers

1 Replies
Last post February 06, 2014, 08:37
by snowdrops
xx
will the dogs ever learn

Started by karlooben on Pets without Feathers

0 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 19:37
by karlooben
xx
my dogs ears

Started by chrissie B on Pets without Feathers

5 Replies
Last post November 07, 2013, 19:55
by Growster...

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 38 queries.