Rotovating!!

• 16 Replies

Robc

Rotovating!!
« on: April 11, 2009, 19:03 »
I have a CRT51 Husqvarna rotovator, and was wondering when I should rotovate, and how effective this would be on a bed that hasn't been touched for some time. Is the 6" depth sufficient? Regards Rob (Newbie).

shaun

Re: Rotovating!!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 19:25 »
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 19:43 by shaun »
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Larkshall

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 23:37 »
I have a CRT51 Husqvarna rotovator, and was wondering when I should rotovate, and how effective this would be on a bed that hasn't been touched for some time. Is the 6" depth sufficient? Regards Rob (Newbie).

6" is not enough for most crops. Farmers used to plough 5" deep for cereals but I think they plough deeper these days. Land that hasn't been tilled for some time certainly needs deeper tilling. Is 6" the maximum depth for the CRT51, if it is then I would suggest either digging it over or hiring a larger Rotavator for the first going over. You really need to get down 10 -11 inches.

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 21:11 »
6" is OK. As Larkshell has pointed out, here in England our farmers currently plough very deep. But we managed for years ploughing no deeper than 5". And then used a Harrow and not a rotavator to finish the surface few inches for the seed. Husqvarna would not have sold any rotavators if the machines were inadequate
always have a target
and an objective.

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 22:27 »
It's quite possible to grow crops without rotovating or digging at all. Nature does it all the time, and manages to maintain the soil structure and nutrient levels too. I used to have a rotovator, now I should be able to do without even a spade.

Thirty years ago you would have seen flocks of birds following a plough across a field, it is not so common now. The treatment of the soil has removed most things that lived there.

Progress?

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 07:41 »
This year when ploughing I had one robin feeding from the furrows. And as you say oldbean a plough would be followed by a flock of birds not so long a go. Here in Cornwall usually seagulls

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 20:44 »
This year when ploughing I had one robin feeding from the furrows. And as you say oldbean a plough would be followed by a flock of birds not so long a go. Here in Cornwall usually seagulls

It's seagulls here too !
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 00:22 »
In my part of Sussex the plan is not to plough any more - instead they dig footings and put in trenches for "services" on our Grade 1 agricultural land.... and it's not seagulls that follow - just more new-comers.  :(   650 houses on one site and 2,500 new houses on another.

Open space, views, nature, the country-side?
Yep...they are planning a new town museum to record what it once was like!!  :(  :(
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

rickman

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 23:13 »
In my part of Sussex the plan is not to plough any more - instead they dig footings and put in trenches for "services" on our Grade 1 agricultural land.... and it's not seagulls that follow - just more new-comers.  :(   650 houses on one site and 2,500 new houses on another.

Open space, views, nature, the country-side?
Yep...they are planning a new town museum to record what it once was like!!  :(  :(

Learner, I take it you are a victim of the SEDA as well,  that popular (non elected agency) that dictates were the population is to live along the south coast. If we get any more houses here the traffic will be so bad it may be easier (and possibly safer) to cycle over the roofs of the stationary cars.
Andy

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 00:06 »
It s sad to see beautiful country-side disappear after having walked it and enjoyed it for 50 years. No new ammenities for a growing population and very few old ones.

I can understand the need for new homes for the locals but it is definitely a case of building to house people who are not yet here.

The Church Commision own much of the land and appear interested only in a fast buck not what is left of the flock!  >:(

Unemployment even before the bank crisis, water shortages, rising sea-levels and flood-plains so build anywhere to meet government targets...

Rotovator manufacturers will soon be out of business down here - there'll be nothing left to turn over and grow in...  :(

beestie-crawlies

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 10:18 »

Learner, I take it you are a victim of the SEDA as well,  that popular (non elected agency) that dictates were the population is to live along the south coast. If we get any more houses here the traffic will be so bad it may be easier (and possibly safer) to cycle over the roofs of the stationary cars.

I'm with you on this one rickman! I hate having to drive around Gosport at times.
Now your grips too strong
You can't catch love with a net or a gun
Gotta keep faith that your path will change
Gotta keep faith that your luck will change tomorrow
'James'

rickman

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 22:18 »
Beestie,
A wander off topic but hey, I cycle quite alot, round to pompey to work and home, still running the gauntlet in the traffic but often quicker, especially coming home in the evenings, reduces the carbon footprint, I get fresh air and exercise etc.

Paul Plots

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2009, 12:50 »
Beestie,
A wander off topic but hey, I cycle quite alot, round to pompey to work and home, still running the gauntlet in the traffic but often quicker, especially coming home in the evenings, reduces the carbon footprint, I get fresh air and exercise etc.

100 BONUS POINTS to you! Keep cycling!!  :)

rickman

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 22:12 »
I try to as much as possible, it is actually quite therapeutic after a day in the office, the wind down before you get home, nearly as good as a couple of hours on the plot.

Paul Plots

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2009, 01:05 »
Cycling weather coming up..... a good summer ahead?  ;)

xx
Rotovating technique

Started by warmrain on Equipment Shed

15 Replies
Last post November 30, 2013, 12:47
by Paul Plots
xx
Rotovating on grass?

Started by MishMash on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post June 23, 2010, 11:14
by Wild Pony
xx
Whats the best technique for rotovating my plot

Started by bigfatb on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post November 19, 2012, 15:18
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
First-time Rotovating grassy soil?

Started by DanielCoffey on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post June 27, 2018, 08:53
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 39 queries.