Pecking problem

• 4 Replies

PKennedy

Pecking problem
« on: March 28, 2018, 16:04 »
Hello. I am new to this forum. I have 11 birds. One of the newer ones (about 6 months), a Poland frizzle, is suffering at the beaks of her companions. I have tried many things, including anti pecking spray, etc. I have had some success with daily applications of Vicks to her feathers in places. However, today I found her with her head in the corner and two of the bigger hens really tearing into her. They have taken most of the feathers out of her wings. Her lovely head is bare. Suggestions please?

jaydig

Re: Pecking problem
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 16:58 »
This might not be the case with your birds, but when I had a problem with mine bullying the newest member of the flock, I watched to see who was the ringleader.  I caught the offender (my little Holly, surprisingly enough), and locked her into the inside run on her own for a few days.  She could see the others, but not join them in the outside run.  I let her out, and the first time she attacked again, back inside she went, but this time only for a day.  The next time I let her out she behaved herself, and there was never any more trouble.  I suppose it was just a case of disrupting the pecking order of the flock, but it worked for me.

ghost61

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 18:54 »
I agree with Jaydig.  Remove the bully or bullies.  Try to leave the victim with the others unless there is blood showing on her, so that she isn't punished for being bullied.  My bully hated the newbies, but she soon learned that if she made a fuss then she got put into the run whilst the others free ranged - took her one day, as she was sad at being penned in!  Good luck!

grinling

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 18:59 »
If bleeding occurs then use purple spray as hens are attracted to red.
I pick Darwin up and tuck her under my arm and walk around. She is not top head and only picks on Sooty. Darwin is a legbar and Sooty a Scots Dumpy so smaller in height.

Mr R Design

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 06:34 »
Are you saying she is 6 months old and recently introduced or was new to the flock 6 months ago?

If you know for sure who the ones are that are bullying then yes split them off. If you do not know for sure who the bullies are then split her off. When you split they must all still be able to see each other just not physically be able to get to each other.

A dog cage aprx 3ft by 2ft off Ebay did the trick for me.

Either put her in it for 7/10 days or put the bullies in it. At some stage you must put the bullies in because by splitting them off you are more likely to change the pecking order and reduce their rank. Once they are out they are then less likely to have a go at her.

Personally having gone through this before when introducing a new one I would split her off first for 7/10 days making sure the others can still see her and then when releasing her immediately split the bullies off for 7/10 days. If when you let the bullies out they start having a go again put them back in for another 7/10 days.

Don't split them off at a distance, keep them as close as possible. If you go the dog cage route stick it in the run and don't go soft during the 7/10 days and let the incarcerated out.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 06:44 by Mr R Design »

xx
Pecking Problem........

Started by RICH_Chicken on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 27, 2011, 18:09
by Tony H
xx
Pecking Problem

Started by Caralou on The Hen House

35 Replies
Last post February 22, 2009, 21:47
by GrannieAnnie
xx
pecking problem

Started by emotion-2003 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 09, 2011, 21:14
by bantam novice
xx
Big feather pecking problem

Started by honeysuckle farm on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post December 12, 2008, 22:42
by sunshinemedic

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 38 queries.