Smallhold Farming and Rural Living > Livestock and Growing on a larger scale

Growing Vegetables on 3 Acres of Compact Clay Southern Lincolnshire

(1/3) > >>

RichardY:
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could advise me on what to grow on 3 Acres of compact clay. The land has been left uncultivated for sometime with just grass + ragwort growing on it (previously had just wheat year after year) , the land is also quite exposed to strong winds being a very flat area of southern Lincolnshire.

Does anybody have suggestions on how to improve the land or what will grow on it, as is, other than corn? I was thinking of looking to order a tonne of compost/manure/peat perhaps to work in to the soil or lay on the surface. What sort of seeds would be the cheapest in bulk?

My Goal would be to grow a variety of vegatables mixed around, mostly for exercise and to develop a more hardy character in myself. I was thinking of a £500 investment including seeds and soil. I have access to a small yamaha tractor(Only has a Cutter for Grass) I don't mind doing some major landscaping with a spade if it helps with drainage/Shelter for plant/Raised Bedding . The area also has to look tidy and not really like an allotment, maybe more like a garden of eden. Any Ideas? Please and Thank you.

whitehill1:
Hi

welcome to the forum. first select a small area to grow veg as start. make a plan to have few fixed beds. create paths first ..so that you know where to dig for growing.

Aunt Sally:
Welcome to the forums RichardY.

3 acres is a huge plot of land for veg growing.  Enough space for 48 full sized allotment plots  :ohmy:  It's more a small holding. 

Is it your land or rented ?

RichardY:
Hello Sally,

Thank you for the welcome. The land is owned by my parents, there is an additional 2 acres but that has some trees on it Populars, Silver Birch, Apple etc, the land was bought over 5 years a go. The other 3 is unused we had made a few enquiries about using it for horses or sheep but nobody seemed that interested, perhaps because of the facilities.

AlaninCarlisle:
Good luck. We have a 3 acre field too that is home to our Shetlands. It has never in living memory ever been anything other than pasture and like your land is compacted clay although there is a loamy covering of about 9 inches. My solution has been to fence-off about half an acre from the Shetlands to use as an orchard, to house a polytunnel and an adjoining veg garden. The rest of the half acre is kept mown in summer and my wife uses it as an agility training course for our three dogs.

The thought of trying to do anything with the remainder of the field other than use it as pasture puts me into a cold sweat  :ohmy:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version