Raised Beds

• 17 Replies

Shieldsy

Raised Beds
« on: November 23, 2011, 18:43 »
I am still learning the ropes but keen and willing so am after a bit of help/advice.

I have a winter project of making and filling five 3m x 2m raised beds, around 30cms+ deep, ready for spring and full on veg sowing/planting but have a few questions.

Are old 2nd hand scaffold boards up to the job, you know the ones you can find/buy on E-Bay or does anyone have a good link/company I could use/contact? I've tried a couple of local scaffold companies but they are reluctant to sell 2nd hand boards.

What is the life span of scaffold boards used for raised beds?

And finally does anyone know of any good manure/top soil providers in the Reading, Berkshire area or websites that provide good value for money?

Many thanks in advance for any responses

Al

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
Re: Raised Beds
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 19:22 »

HI
  I bought scaffolding planks from a local company, 2.50 each and 3.9 m long.
  I cut them to lengths 2.7m and 1.2m( 8ft x 4ft in old money)this made best use of the boards,also it is easier to reach across as the furthest point from the sides is only 0.6m(2ft).
  I painted them with fence preservative to try to make them last a little bit longer,I've been told they will possibly last up to 4 years before they rot.
 I used decking screws to join them together,and wooden posts at 3ft intervals to strengthen the sides
  Sorry can't help you with the other

AndyRVTR

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 19:22 »
Hi Shieldsy...  :)
In answer to your question...IMO, the width (2m) may be too wide for your raised beds, bearing in mind you might be tempted to walk over them to get to the other side, 1.2m wide may be a better size.
2nd hand scaffold boards are the bee's knees for making raised beds and can last for years if treated prior to using them and generally most scaffolding companies are happy to get rid of old boards, however, some can be wary incase the people buying them use the damaged/old boards on their own scaffolding.
Anyway, if you manage to find a company that will sell you some, you should expect to pay £3.50+ for a 13' board, good luck.  :) :)

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 20:00 »
If you can't source scaffold boards I made mine out of treated gravel boards from Wickes.  As others have said the optimum width is 1.2m.
Cheese makes everything better.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 20:06 »
Agree with other about the size of the beds --- mine are 2.4m by 1.2 m as the decking boards we were given were 2.4m long.

Scaffolding boards are great and gravel boards good too. (Try CATS for gravel boards, too)

Have never managed to source decent top soil in this area.

For the school plots got some from Dandystopsoil, free delivery and excellent stuff. Not cheap but for from the dearest.

Good luck with your project  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 20:16 »
If you can't source scaffold boards I made mine out of treated gravel boards from Wickes.  As others have said the optimum width is 1.2m.

We also used gravel boards for our raised beds. They seem to be fine.

Robert_S

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 20:55 »
Its worth asking / keepin gan eye on freecycle for topsoil, people are often wanting rid of it round here when they remove a layer to build garages / patios etc, and are happy to have it taken away for free.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 21:19 »
A good suggestion Robert, but just a warning to inspect the 'top soil' properly if it's come from excavating for foundations.  Usually foundations go deep beyond the top soil layer and into the subsoil.  This is nutritionless and structurally very difficult to cultivate.  You don't want to end up being the mug who takes away a lot of soil, most of which is unusable  :ohmy:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Robert_S

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 21:27 »
Very true!

I was lucky I found someone who not only had some lovely quality soil to get rid of, he was also a bit of an archaeology buff and after having found a bit of Roman pottery in his garden, he had sieved all the soil he was getting rid of in case he found any gold coins  :D

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 21:28 »
Very true!

I was lucky I found someone who not only had some lovely quality soil to get rid of, he was also a bit of an archaeology buff and after having found a bit of Roman pottery in his garden, he had sieved all the soil he was getting rid of in case he found any gold coins  :D

That was a stroke of luck  :D

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 00:44 »
What kind of preservative do you use on scaffold/gravel boards? I've been wondering about this because I'm just about to build some raised beds in my new polytunnel, and I always worry about toxic residues and stuff.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 07:37 »
I have none on mine at all

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 09:26 »
I put none on mine and they've started to rot quite badly after 3 years  :( so I will deffo use a preservative on any replacement boards.

Some sites are recommending this one
http://www.recycleworks.co.uk/croma-non-toxic-wood-preservative-pr-16149.html

Shieldsy

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 09:55 »
Thanks all for your responses so far.......will reduce to a 1.2 width and will try again with some different local scaffold companies and if not will take the plunge on E-Bay

I have a load of old compost bags that I kept so was planning on stapling these on the inside of the boards to reduce the moisture into the boards and hopefully give them a longer lifespan......has anyone else done this and is that fine?

Al

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2011, 11:54 »
My gravel boards were pre treated and the scary toxic stuff people panic about in the chemical was outlawed a long time ago so no longer relevant.

xx
seed beds and raised beds...

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 22, 2008, 19:57
by woodburner
xx
Would you use these for your raised beds?

Started by Christo on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 29, 2010, 21:01
by Trikidiki
xx
Raised beds

Started by mat whitlock on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 01, 2016, 19:47
by Growster...
xx
Raised beds

Started by vegman on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 11, 2007, 12:02
by supersprout

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 40 queries.