Greenhouse-bodging

• 28 Replies

noshed

Greenhouse-bodging
« on: August 17, 2006, 10:07 »
I hate to bring up this sensitive subject but has anyone seen any plans of how you can erect a wooden frame straight? I was thinking of sinking four posts into the ground and using scrap wood to make a frame over it and then pinning my corrugated plastic to it. But how to you get the posts vertical and the same distance into the ground? I feel that O level maths should equip you for this but I can't remember any greenhouse classes.
The other option would be to make a level base and pin everything to that I suppose but that would take more wood.
All the other plot holders on my site seem to stroll up with a random collection of wood and erect enormous sheds, with verandah and grapevine pergola. I am discussing this with them but it's sometimes difficult as the best ones are built by the older Turkish blokes and my Turkish is rubblish.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

milkman

Greenhouse-bodging
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 10:30 »
I fear you may have to borrow or invest in a good spirit level and a good old fashioned tape measure!  My suggestion would be to obtain 4 metal fence post stakes and use these to anchor your uprights into the ground but if you are not planning on spending any money then this may not be an option.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Greenhouse-bodging
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 11:08 »
Hi Noshed - :)

You need the posts to be the same height, level and square.

First decide where the posts are going. To make a rectangle 'square' you need equal distance between breadth and width AND diagonal or you end up with a trapezium.

Post position chosen, insert posts and put a batten between them, using a spirit level on the batten you will get your level.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

mellowmick

• Experienced Member
Re: Greenhouse-bodging
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 11:36 »
Quote from: "noshed"
The other option would be to make a level base and pin everything to that I suppose but that would take more wood.

I got two 4'x4' pallets, set them on a level, unmortared single course brick foundation, nailed them together, then built a frame based on six 7' upright lengths of 2"x2". Filled in the frame with perspex. It's not huge; about the size of 2 phone boxes stuck together, but it has seen me though my first season.
ps Lidl were doing spirit levels for about 1.99 a while back.

noshed

Greenhouse-bodging
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 12:46 »
Thanks for all the advice. I'm tempted by the pallet option as there seems to be a source of bricks at the back of our office (no, it's not someone else's office) and I am a bit of a pallet connoiseur.
Those metpost things cost about £5-£6 each although they look useful.
I managed to get my shed nearly straight and it is level - and yes I did it with a £1.99 spirit level. So I'm fairly confident. Just need to measure the sheets and work out how much of an overlap they need.

Oliver

Metposts
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 22:33 »
Those metpost things cost about £5-£6 each although they look useful.
Not sure Milkman meant metposts. You have to be very careful to get metposts in straight - for this you need a hefty sledge hammer - because they are the devils own job to get out if they are not straight, and them you have the problem of getting them in straight in churned up ground.

They do work very well when they work, though. Their fence is still standing after some 25 years!
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

noshed

Greenhouse-bodging
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 11:30 »
I've designed it now, so construction will start soon. I reckon I've got enough junk to make it - just need to get the uprights straight...

shaun

Greenhouse-bodging
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 21:51 »
have a look at these spirit levels noshed .ideal for posts

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0001KA18K/026-9374362-4876406?v=glance&n=11052651
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

noshed

Greenhouse-bodging
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 22:08 »
So when do we see the pics of the double greenhouse extravaganza John?
My little plastic shed is still in the concept stage but it should keep me busy in September.

Thanks for the spirit level link by the way - so you're a bit of a cyclist shaun - are you looking forward to the tour next year?  Some of my mates are trying to be marshalls, linement rubbers etc. Saw a bit of it a couple of years ago in France - still got the frizbees.

shaun

Greenhouse-bodging
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 22:33 »
not my type of cycling noshed i keep off road up the hills and down the valleys,i go with my 14 year old son and struggle keeping up with him .i do admire those road guys even the ones who take steroids .when you watch it on the TV it doesn't justify the effort they put in.thinking of getting some steroids to help me dig the manure in the ground in a few months

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Greenhouse-bodging
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2006, 22:49 »

About 2010 at present rate of progress :)

I'm going to liaise with Larry and take a day off next week to have a greenhouse raising - bit likt the barn raising in Witness but with 2 of us and a greenhouse.

noshed

Greenhouse-bodging
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2006, 10:40 »
That's the bit where if you put it all up in one day, you're allowed to live in it forever.

mellowmick

• Experienced Member
Greenhouse-bodging
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2006, 14:30 »
I thought that was only in the New Forest.

shaun

2 men and a greenhouse
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2006, 20:53 »
noshed wrote:

as a total independent observer  i am working in nantwich for a couple of weeks ,do you think john will have the greenhouse up by the time before we finish our job.if i am still around them parts i might sneak around to his plot for a bit of undercover work. (just to confirm that john doesnt take a pic of someone elses and claims it is his)  :)

milkman

Greenhouse-bodging
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2006, 21:11 »
you could even give him a helping hand!

thumbdown
greenhouse

Started by EVIE on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post September 22, 2010, 19:14
by adal
xx
Best 6x8 Greenhouse

Started by wil4025 on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post November 29, 2012, 19:24
by Chrysalis
xx
Best greenhouse

Started by timdunn on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post November 04, 2013, 09:11
by JayG
xx
Does this greenhouse look ok?

Started by 1st time veg grower on Equipment Shed

11 Replies
Last post October 28, 2010, 01:36
by peter james

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 39 queries.