Food recycling?

• 9 Replies

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
Food recycling?
« on: November 28, 2006, 21:39 »
Can anyone tell me if there is any food you can give chickens that would otherwise go in the composter?  My dad was talking about the 'good old days' and potato peelings...

Just curious.  Thanks for any advice.

muntjac

Food recycling?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 23:32 »
No meat . NO oily fish.

cooked veggies ,raw veggies and  fruit mine love plums n pears apples etc that fall,toms cucs pumpkins all good for them .dont over do the bread and if you do feed it hard and stale only .sow a bed of perpeptual spinach in summer / autumn so that you can feed them fresh greens  you can cut and cut and cut it all winter then come spring you can just let them have a chomp on it free range if all other greens ( grass ) are growing well, for a regular feed source also put a few handfulls of barley in a flat tray with some water in put it in a dry cleaning bag then let it sprout for a couple inches feed em a handfull every day etc. sow a hand full or 2 every weekend  :wink:
still alive /............

sorrel

• Experienced Member
Food recycling?
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 11:41 »
Mine get raw vegggies, all greens and windfall fruit etc.......they love it!  i have never given them potato peelings or bread though.
Starting from scratch............

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Food recycling?
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 13:08 »
They love a mash Sorrel with potato peelings and I put other veg peelings in as there's only 2 of us to cook for, then I buy the really cheap porridge oats from supermarket, or maybe some layers mash if that's what they get and make a lovely warm mash for them for winter evenings.  Running round the chicken run trying to keep their bit away from the other chickens is so funny to watch!!!

sorrel

• Experienced Member
Food recycling?
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 13:29 »
I'll try that Grannie.... I too love to watch them find a worm or something and instead of sneakily eating they set off doing a hundred meter dash round the garden with all the others chasing...... lol.   It appears it's an instinct they are born with as i accidently dropped a small amount of lettuce in with my 3 week old chicks  and they did the same round the brooder box.   Wonderful creatures and very amusing (i dont think mine are to smart tho')

muntjac

Food recycling?
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 14:07 »
i chop up blown letuce into litle strips to feed chicks tehy love it also you can use up cabbage leaves just whip them through a blender  :wink:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Food recycling?
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 17:36 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
No meat . NO oily fish.

I know DEFRA say we're not supposed to feed meat to them muntjac.  It's all to do with passing infections (like BSE) up the food chain.  But my girls love the occasional treat of tuna (not in oil) when I have some left over.  I never noticed any flavour coming through in the eggs.  Am I doing something wrong  :(

muntjac

Food recycling?
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 18:20 »
i was told many years ago not to feed oily fish..  i thinking  its the same in all birds it comes out in the pooop n really stinks if a gull ever pooped on ya ( like the bbbbb did me at scarborough many years back ..right on me noggin ) you wouldnt  like it .but also oily fish is not easily  mashed down in the gizzard crop and can cause blockages .it refers mainly to herring and heavy oil fish .a little bit tuna isnt gonna do damage i guess but i still follow the rule i was told / white fish yes -no oily fish at all why risk it im thinking  :wink: .this is my opinion only tho and that  of my old man  :wink:

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
Food recycling?
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 20:13 »
Thanks again everyone.  Very helpful indeed.  Who needs a textbook when you lot are on tap with first-hand experience!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Food recycling?
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 22:50 »
Thanks for that muntjac  :!:

I usually give them their tuna mashed in with leftover potato.  From what you've said that should make it small enough not to cause a problem.  I'll put a bit of grit in with it too just to make sure :D

xx
any ideas for recycling stuff to make poultry drinker??

Started by Chookster on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post September 03, 2009, 16:24
by poppies
xx
poultry houses made of recycling material - Link

Started by Neelam on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 25, 2014, 14:11
by joyfull
xx
Cat food

Started by AmandaH on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 26, 2010, 20:08
by azubah
xx
cat food????

Started by violet on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 19, 2008, 22:20
by violet

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 38 queries.