When to plant shallots? Favorite varieties?

• 18 Replies

Salmo

When to plant shallots? Favorite varieties?
« on: November 26, 2009, 11:03 »
When is the right time to plant shallots. The traditional time is on the shortest day (December 21st) but I know that many are planted in Autumn as early as October.

Reading Sutton's catalogue no varieties say Autumn, one says December, one late December, one mid January and the other four say February onwards.

Jermor has been pushed in the garden centres for Autumn planting and yet Suttons list it as February onwards.

What are your experiences? What are your favorite varieties?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 12:45 by Salmo »

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: When to plant shallots? Favorite varieties?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 11:28 »
Old saying.... plant on the shortest day and lift on the longest day. I tend to just use red sun and golden gourmet.
By the way, the longest day is in june not december  ::)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 11:30 by Aidy »
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 11:29 »
In 2008 I planted mine on 19 March and lifted them on 27 July.  This year I started them off in the cold frame on 19 February planted them out on 11 March, then lifted them at the beginning of July.  On balance, I got a better crop in 2008 but it could have been more to do with the weather than the planting dates.

I didn't make a note of which varieties they were, except that some were red, but I have just ordered a pack of Golden Gourmet from Suttons.  They have a RHS Award of Garden Merit and it also says 'great beginner variety - this superb variety will consistently produce heavy crops of good flavoured shallots that keep well for several months.  Plant from February onwards'.  A 400g pack costs £3.65.

I rejoined our local horticultural society this year after a friend told me that you can get substantial savings on your seed order.  Apparently, it is about 40% on seets and at least 10% on onion sets, garlic, potatoes and sundries.  As you also get free entry to local shows - amazing value for £10 membership fee :)

Nobbie

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 11:41 »
I planted Golden Goumet in mid-March at the same time as my onion sets and got a great crop of large bulbs. I hadn't ever thought of putting them in any earlier til I saw this post. Just bought some shallots out of Sainburys which are the more elongated red ones that I keep seeing on cookery programmes, be interesting to see how the taste compares.

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 13:59 »
I start mine off (all varieties) in mid-January in the cold frame in compost in deep boxes  - I then plant out from mid-february depending on weather/soil conditions (the bed was prepared in September) I usually get a good consistant crop - my allotment is in Herts which is SE England o its a tad warmer here.....
Death OR Cake ???

lightyears

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 16:55 »
how do shallots cope with frost? my allotment is a right frost hole. would they need fleecing if they go in december?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 18:08 »
I'm pretty sure they are completely hardy so no need to fleece - though perhaps net them until their roots are established to stop the birds pulling them up!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

zazen999

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 18:33 »
I've got I think, 4 different types - mostly bought from around the UK and France on my travels. Some go in about oct/nov and some in march/april time. No idea what they are called; but some are round and some are long. All are fab  :D

beansticks

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 19:44 »
I usually go with golden gourmet,planted some time in late march,should i be planting earlier?results are usually ok,but nothing spectacular.

lightyears

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 20:32 »
I'm pretty sure they are completely hardy so no need to fleece - though perhaps net them until their roots are established to stop the birds pulling them up!

cool, i shall be hitting the garden centre tomorrow then  :D

hightide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 20:57 »
I planted bananna shallot seed last March in a tray and transplanted out when the were big enough. They all matured, about three only reached the size of my shallot sets the rest were all much larger and each filled my hand. They are delicious and what is also a bonus is only one is required in the kitchen instead of three or four traditional shallots. Slice longways down to the base turn it 90 degrees and repeat then slice across down to base, which is now discarded, result is neat pile of chopped shallot just like James Martin does.

I won't be bothering with shallot sets this year. :nowink:
A weed is a plant that's in the wrong place and intends to stay

viettaclark

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 23:50 »
I'm getting totally confused here! :ohmy:
My shallots (Yellow Moon), onions (Troy) and garlic (Provence Wight) arrived from Unwins a couple of weeks ago and I've put them in.
The blurb on the special offer said plant anytime from September but looking in their catalogue they say plant these particular shallots March onwards!! ::)
Wot's happenin', Doc?
I'm hoping they'll be ok in all this rain because they're in a really free-draining raised bed and I know they need cold to divide so they'll be ok over Winter.....won't they? :unsure:

Salmo

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2009, 00:25 »
That is exactly why I have posted this topic.

I have always planted mine late February but wondered if I should be planting earlier?

As far as I know shallots do not need low temperature to divide. The greater danger may be that too long a cold period could induce them to bolt. Has anyone experienced this?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 00:28 by Salmo »

viettaclark

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2009, 00:45 »
According to Unwin's blurb this variety (Yellow Moon) is bolt resistant......yeah....well...
Sorry can't help because they ain't growed yet!! Let you know next year.... :D

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2009, 09:42 »
Salmo. I know where I live its like living in the tropics all year round  8) but I have always planted my shallotts in December, I can count on one hand how many have bolted in lots of years, they are very hardy and I cant remember any that  have not come up. I never grow onions anymore just shallots as they are so easy to grow, get them in and enjoy them in summer.

xx
Plant shallots now?

Started by juvenal on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 31, 2018, 17:44
by DHM
xx
Plant shallots now?

Started by Nobbie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 12, 2019, 12:56
by Nobbie
xx
When to plant shallots?

Started by gavinjconway on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post December 30, 2013, 22:21
by Yorkie
xx
OK to plant shallots now?

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 21, 2016, 09:40
by New shoot

Page created in 0.501 seconds with 39 queries.