Blanched my sweetcorn, some of it turned orange???????

• 2 Replies

vineweevil1

• Experienced Member
I picked my firsrt 4 sweetcorn last night (after prodding them every couple of days for two weeks!)

When I blanched two of them some of the kernals? turned orange is this normal?

also I kept testing for a creamy liquid rather than runny milky so picked them when I thought ready but the kernals? were very tightly packed together, did I let them go too far?

Trillium

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 14:55 »
Sounds like the cobs were too old. The more orange they turn, the older they are - and tougher. They almost need to be a bit on the young side to freeze and taste well. I never go by kernel juice colour, but by the actual cob colour, a bit on the paler side and I've never been disappointed. And never leave the cobs to really fill out which pushes them past prime.

For freezing, we never bother with leaving corn on the cob. We simply cut off all the kernels and put them straight into a freezer bag, no blanching at all.

Almost forgot, good corn needs less than 5 minutes total cooking time. Usually 3 minutes is the max we do once the boil returns. So to blanch corn, then cook later really makes corn tough and tasteless.

vineweevil1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 07:05 »
Thanks for that. We ate two last night and the orange bits were tough.  I will pick the rest a bit earlier and cook far less - lessons learnt there.

Luckily have a second batch with tassles turning brown so OK there.  Neighbours on plot kept telling me to leave it longer - should have listened to my natural urge of pick pick pick!!!!

xx
Help, my pumpkin has turned orange!

Started by gremlin on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 31, 2013, 11:49
by gremlin
xx
sweetcorn turned yellow.

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 12, 2014, 22:38
by 3759allen
clip
Blanched thistle

Started by jezza on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post June 30, 2021, 21:23
by jezza
xx
My cauliflowers' leaves looked blanched

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 18, 2015, 17:49
by Gardener and Rabbit

Page created in 0.402 seconds with 38 queries.