Help please

• 1 Replies

Donna1

Help please
« on: September 13, 2018, 14:28 »
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to the chicken world, and was recently gifted 2 bantam chickens.
They are nearly 6 weeks old, we've kept them indoors until all their feathers come through, I let them out during the day while I'm in the garden with them and they sleep indoors at night. Unfortunately a cat caught the smaller of the 2 yesterday afternoon, I caught the cat and managed to get her back. She had a small cut to her back which i bathed with salt water. She was quiet and subdued but i put her in her bed with the other chicken and kept them in a warmer place and a bit darker to try to relax her. She seems better to day, she's walking about and eating but her poo is clear watery with yellow in it. Does anyone know what this could be?
I feel awful, I have grown so attached to them, our coop is just about finished and ready for them to move into once they're ready.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Help please
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 17:13 »
Hi Donna and welcome to the forum.  Sorry to hear about your chick.

The watery poo could just be a reaction to the shock, or because the chick drank a lot, but didn't eat much.  Keep going with your treatment and cross your fingers the chick pulls through.  The fact it survived the night and was better the next day is a pretty good start to a full recovery.

Don't beat yourself up too much.  Cats can't help themselves.  Just keep both chicks in until you have a safe outside space for them  :)

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 40 queries.