Perches

• 14 Replies

Pixiewish

Perches
« on: May 05, 2012, 09:39 »
Hi all, me again.

Still trying to find that perfect integral run and coop for us.

I like the look of this one http://www.woodenart.org.uk/products.php?product=The-Harry-Chicken-Coop-Hen-House-and-Run- but am confused by the perches?  is that bar sticking out the side the perch?

i thought it was better to have a grid of perches that covered the coop floor so the birds aren't standing in droppings?

other than that i think it looks ok:

can have automatic pop hole opener fitted
slide out plastic dropping tray so easy to clean
onduline roofing not felt
removable nest box (although not sure, are external nest boxes better as this seems to be a common design)
average sized run for 2/3 bantams
not too expensive compared to some we've looked at

kegs

Re: Perches
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 10:29 »
I like it but I'm not keen on the interior nest box or the perches.  I'd be tempted to go for the Edward Coop which is the same size, (shame there isn't a photo of the interior but perhaps you could email them to double check), as it's got an outside nest box and two rounded perches for just £10 extra.  For both of the coops you might have to drill some ventilation holes at above chicken head height for night time as I can't see any from the photos.  Let us know which you choose.  :)

Also go for 3 rather than 2 hens just in case something happens to one of them!

Pixiewish

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 10:57 »
Thanks kegs, I have to admit I did look at the Edward for the £10 more, but couldn't see a photo of the interior so was put off, and wasn't sure what the benefits of an external nest box were  :)

Pixiewish

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 15:56 »
Can anyone point me in the direction of a good coop interior perch set-up.

I have only seen the interior of eglus.

ehs284

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 07:49 »
The interior photo may be deceptive; you need a plan with measurements, but it does look as though the perch overlaps the nest box so that the nest box cannot be kept separate and clean and the birds will use the box as a jumping off point for the perch. The plastic tray is great, but really the nest box should not lie on it so that the sides of the box are kept clean. It may be worth discussing this with the makers as it looks well made and they may offer a clip on external nest box (as in the traditional coops) which might help them with future sales. The claim of 4 hens is not acceptable.

Casey76

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 08:04 »
I know it is not directly related to your question... but a run size of 3ft x 6ft is adequate for 1 small bantam only.  By the time yo add a feeder, waterer, dust bath and perching, there will be very little free floor space for a regular size chicken to walk about.

The coop itself looks to be very ncesly made, but it has been dseigned by somone who is not a poultry keeper.

You are right in that it is better that the perches are a grid, however if I had this coop I would put a deep layer of shavings in the tray and poo pick every day (which defeats the object of the pull out tray, but heyho!)

The interior is poorly designed, and I much prefer an external nest box, though it isn't strickly necessary.

I think the Alfred is better designed.  Could you not call them up and have a chat about what you want?  They may be willing to do a custom job :)

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 08:42 »
The benefits of an external nestbox is that it is not using up internal space and that it cannot be pooped in when the chooks are roosting given that perches should be higher than the nest box. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Pixiewish

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 09:07 »
Thanks for all the info. back to the dfrawing board then.

I am sure that somewhere out there is a coop and integral run that is big enough for 3 bantams, and cheap enough for us to afford it!! Just need to find it!

Pixiewish

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 09:42 »
If anyone finds anything...I have a 7ft by 6ft area available to the birds, would ideally like something I can stand up in, or almost stand up in, and a budget of £400 max for the run and coop.

and please don't advise me to build my own lol.

kegs

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 11:39 »
Some of these look good.

http://www.littleacre-direct.co.uk/

jhub

• jane
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 15:30 »
Check out eBay for chicken coops made by wenvoe in Wales

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2012, 21:04 »
Have a look on ebay u'll find some cheaper ones i bought mine from there :) good luck

Pixiewish

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 17:54 »
Thanks Kegs - am looking at one of those on ebay at the moment, unfortunately the seller has not got back to me to answer my questions.

jhub - i can't find wenvoe??

mohs.ayaz - I find my problem with ebay is that as I have never owned chickens before I am quite susceptible to the cheaply made completely unsuitable housing that is out there....if you have any suggestions as to good sellers I'd be very grateful

Has anyone purchased anything from happy-chicks on ebay? They have a couple of wooden coops that might work for us in a WIR??

Jomtie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 18:19 »
http://www.heidishappyhens.co.uk/pig-hen-houses.htm

Have a look at the one at the bottom @ £380. I've seen this one and it's almost walk in. I had to duck a bit but I'm 5'9". It's a good size and you can call Heidi with any queries. We got our hens from her and she has a fab set up.
Hens - Clara (Bluebell) & little newbies Martha (Black Sussex) & Dora (Speckled Maran)
RIP Margot, Geraldine, Hettie,  Ruby & Tilly :(
Cats - Herbie (LH black moggy) Louie (Seal Point Ragdoll) Jazzi (Dilute Torbie) Peggy (g&w stray)
RIP Ollie (Seal Point Ragdoll) :(

jhub

• jane
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 19:12 »
jhub - i can't find wenvoe??

Try googling wenvoe landscaping and you will see a link titled 'pens, dog kennel items etc' which will direct you to eBay shop.
Jane

xx
How far apart should perches be?

Started by Bogof on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 16, 2010, 18:08
by mad chicken
xx
Perches

Started by Tulip on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post April 23, 2007, 18:35
by Bagpuss
question
Perches

Started by Blarney on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 29, 2010, 09:25
by ehs284
xx
Perches

Started by ness on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 15, 2009, 20:12
by ness

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 39 queries.