5 boys, 7 girls

• 6 Replies

splash101

5 boys, 7 girls
« on: May 14, 2012, 18:41 »
I'm quite sure of the 12 chicks in the brooder we have 5 boys and 7 girls.

the weather has been quite good the last couple of days so whilst i've been working outside i've put the brooder outside with the lid on most of the time and kept an eye on the tempreture. Had the lid of a couple of times but i had to put a sheet of wire mesh over the top as they are just begining to realise what their wings are for.
The boys are starting to chest bump  :nowink:

The 2 chicks that were hatched under the broody hen (1 boy and 1 girl) are far more advanced than the incubator chicks even though they are only a day older (2 weeks old tomorrow).

They are all doing really well

rcf100

• Experienced Member
Re: 5 boys, 7 girls
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 21:33 »
Jealous beyond compare to your hatching adventure, what will you do with the boys?

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 21:41 »
I agree, both my broodies chicks get bigger every day and are really adventurous.  They love flying onto perches and follow mums every move.  They seem really hardy as they have been outdoors all the time and only shelter under mum occasionally.

They are however very wary as their mums have taught them well.  I will have to wait until they have left home before getting them hand tame.  ::)  They are quite easy to handle but a b**ger to catch.   :lol:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 22:11 »
hens can chest bump too  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

splash101

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 22:28 »
A couple of the boys are spoken for but alas the others are destined for the great chicken coop in the sky.

I wasnt sure about the girls chest bumping, probably why last year our RIR's were so hard to sex, we had a boy that we were all sure was a girl, behaviour and appearance suggested girl but no, turned out to be boy and a bit of a wuss at that

maybe updating you again in a few weeks then that the ratio has changed  :lol:

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 10:00 »
hens can chest bump too  :)

I thought that was the case Joy glad you confirmed it as all my Light Sussex Bantam chicks do it.  Will just have to be patient for finding out their sexes as they are only 4 weeks.  The Welsummer Bantams are easier and I have 3 female, 2 male and 1 almost certain is a female.  If it stops raining long enough I might get some more photos as they don't look very chick like now.  :)

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 10:47 »
The one time that we raised chicks under a broody, two of my females chest butted constantly.  Pecking order must start early!
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

xx
my girls and boys.

Started by clairerey on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post October 05, 2011, 18:11
by Anndee
xx
The boys are in with the girls!

Started by New shoot on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post September 07, 2010, 09:07
by New shoot
xx
Boys or Girls ??? Pics Included

Started by francais on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post August 08, 2010, 17:44
by francais
xx
Boys got to go

Started by Jo57 on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post August 08, 2013, 10:28
by Jo57

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 39 queries.