Re: 3 and a bit days and counting :)
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2010, 22:23 »
How are your ladies doing Carla?
Alan

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2010, 23:03 »
Awww bless them, they've had a lovely day. Nelly and Flo have been up and down the ramp and in and out of the coop, Shell and Sue have hung back, not quite so confident, but they've still been just getting along with things. Had 4 eggs, can1 chicken lay 2 in one day?? I didnt think Sue was laying (the one with the swelling), but I've had 4, so I dunno??
The dog has ben going nuts, but they're not phased at all, they just look at her as if to say '* off u stupid creature'  :D  They dont like magpies though, crane their necks and look upwards everytime one calls. They've experienced wind, rain and sun today.
Sue is still ok, I picked her up again and had a squeeze of the lump and a tiny bit of watery fluid came out. Not holding up much hope for her, but while she's still happy, I'll leave her be...I phoned the vet and he said it sounds like heart problems as it's a soft lump, if it was egg peritanitis, it would be more solid. I'll take her in tomorow if she's any worse.
So all in all a good day, Sue's issues have put a bit of a dampner on things but she's better off here and if she does go, she's had a bit of happiness   :mellow:
Any idea how much grit/oyster shell they eat because they seem to love it?? They ate loads yesterday and again today.
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2010, 08:22 »
just let them help themselves to as much as they want, they have been used as an egg factory so their own stores will need replenishing. They will ease up before long  :).
Glad that they are seeing life as it should be (before people all decided they wanted cheap food).
Staffies are softer than you think.

evie2

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2010, 15:46 »
How's Sue today? not forgetting Shell, Flo and Nelly (my Gran was called Nelly :D)  
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 17:19 by evie2 »
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2010, 16:55 »
She was 1st out this morning, straight over to the water and had a big drink and then cained a load of brekkie, she's been up and down the ramp all day, pecking about and is happy as can be?? The lumps still there, but she's showing no signs at all of there being anything wrong, Had 3 eggs today, but dont know who off??
They're all doing really well, showing no signs of fighting yet, Nelly loves it in the coop, wanders out every now and then but takes herself off in again. Flo and Shell are just there, being chickens. They've all fronted the dog out, not phased at all, the dog doesnt know what to think because the cat scarpers as soon as the dog moves, but the chickens just dont care  :) Fingers crossed they're going to be a happy healthy flock, but I'm not counting my chickens, so to say, just yet.
 :D :D

evie2

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2010, 17:21 »
Ah bless :D

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2010, 20:43 »
All 4 girls have just taken themselves off to bed  :D :D :D
Cant believe how quickly they've learnt, sooooo proud :)

evie2

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2010, 21:33 »
so clever :D

carolbriar

« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2010, 11:50 »
Hi Carla
I've been watching this thread with interest.  Your girls brought tears to my eyes.  I was wondering how they are getting on?  How is your girl who isn't 100%?  Hope they are all thriving.  I think its great that you have taken them - they will live out the rest of their lives living a happy life as all chooks should. :)
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2010, 12:49 »
Awww, thank you  :)  THey have settled very well, I cant believe how well they are just getting on with their new lives. They started scratching about yesterday, that hadn't done it before.
Unfortunately, Sue (the poorly one) is not well today. She's in a box in the living room, really quiet, tail down and she's all fluffed up, not eating or drinking, I think she's giving up. Booked her into the vets (20 miles away!!) for tomorrow morning, but I dont think she'll last that long.
I had braced myself for the worst, they say the mortality rate in ex-batts is high, hardly suprising really, but I was still hopeful for a full healthy flock  :(
Starting work on their huge enclosed run on Saturday, Nelly is itching to get out and about, she makes a bolt for the door everytime I go in, and she's dying to attack the dog :) She'll let me stroke her now and the rest are slowly coming round. They're still laying eggs on the grass, excpet Shell, she lays in the coop, but not in the nest boxes.
So, apart from Sue, poor thing, it's a very happy story to tell.
Oh, I've just heard one shouting.....bet she's laid an egg. Bless :)

carolbriar

« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2010, 13:38 »
I'm sorry to hear about your poorly girl.  Keep my fingers crossed for her.  I am so pleased that the others are doing so well.  You must be so pleased with your girls!  Keep us all informed.
Carolbriar

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2010, 14:51 »
Pleased they are settling into a proper chicken life, fingers crossed for Sue.

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2010, 20:33 »
Sounds like you have settled in just as well as your girls. Hope Sue gets better.... I dread looking on this thread in fear of bad news sometimes.  :(

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2010, 22:27 »
Carla,
How did you get on with Sue at the vets?

TeaPots

« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2010, 20:07 »
I'm guessing it must be bad news?   :( 

xx
21 days

Started by scabs on Chicken Chat

55 Replies
Last post June 17, 2010, 18:36
by scabs
xx
The first 9 days of 2010

Started by Oliveview on Chicken Chat

0 Replies
Last post January 19, 2011, 17:48
by Oliveview
xx
Just had an interesting few days!

Started by GrannieAnnie on Chicken Chat

12 Replies
Last post March 07, 2011, 16:49
by alancane
xx
22 to 23 days time

Started by Nails on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post June 06, 2010, 11:58
by Nails

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 39 queries.