Sage Teas

• 11 Replies

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
Sage Teas
« on: August 27, 2006, 17:54 »
Does anyone here drink sage tea? Do you find fresh sage is better than dried? Ever tried purple versus the usual plain green sage? My friend likes sage tea and he normally has it dried in teabags but I'm hoping to provide him with some sage... I'm just not sure what way (or which kind) is best.

I picked some purple and some green today and it's drying slowly in the fan oven right now.
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

spud

• Experienced Member
Sage Teas
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 11:12 »
sorry can't answer your question...but I'd sure like to try them both!

To change the topic slightly does anyone know of a successful teapot for brewing herbal teas, I've tried several different approaches and gadgets but none too great (eventually put in a back drawer).

I like the look of Sarah Raven's tisaniere in glass, at 14.95GBP. I would like to hear a few reviews before I would purchase. I like the idea of having several cups, either for friends or just for myself, just keep it warm and it would keep you going all morning!

Perhaps my old traditional teapot that pores just great, could be hard to beat? just a pity it doesn't strain as well!

Thanks   :)
Best Regards,

spud

hayles62

• Experienced Member
Sage Teas
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 11:16 »
I use a coffee cafeteria, plungy thing, works as well for tea. :wink:

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
Sage Teas
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 13:10 »
I just use a standard ceramic tea pot and have a small metal/wire tea strainer over the mug i'm pouring into. I use this for large leaf teas all the time. We have a gadgety Bodum teapot with a plunger strainer and it's cack (sorry sis-in-law & bro-in-law who gave it to us for Christmas) and a pain in the butt to clean. Gadgets are not good, stick to traditionalist stuff ;)

I'm not sure if sage tea would be my cup of tea  :tongue2:  :roll: so I'm not willing to try dried or fresh, or green or purple.

wellingtons

I haven't tried sage tea ...
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 12:49 »
... but I do drink mint tea regularly.

I've never tried drying the leave though.  All I do is boil the water and wallop in the sprigs of mint ... sometimes I sip it with the leaves in and sometimes I whip them out.

If I want iced mint tea (which to be honest is my preference) I boil the water, wallop in as much mint as I can get in and wait until it's cold.  I then bottle the very strong mint infusion to be used as a base to which I add chilled water and ice.  It can be kept in the fridge for about 2/3 days.

Lovely!!

Jake

• Rockers
Sage Teas
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 13:05 »
sage tea is very good for chesty coughs but be careful not to over do it.

I know someone who got really poorly after drinking cup after cup. (its a freind of the wife's actually).
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

Biscombe

• Experienced Member
Sage Teas
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 20:14 »
I drink it once a month with honey good for p***** pains!! Its also good for rubbing over you teeth as a quick cleaner. Not good to drink too much though.
Happy Gardening

chrissie B

Sage Teas
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 19:11 »
we drink sage tea quite a lot its very refreashing and good for you .our recioie is half an ounce of freash leaves ,1oz sugar or honey,
1lt boiling water ,
1 lemon squeezed
pour boiling water over leaves add sugar and lemon let it infuse 20 mins or so , i just leave mine till cold remove leaves pot into container and refridgerate , very nice a bit like old fashioned lemonade.
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Poppy Rowan

Sage Teas
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 19:50 »
I have a beautiful purple sage on the allotment. That drink sounds lovely Chrissie, and I am going to give it a try  :D

chrissie B

Sage Teas
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 13:13 »
just alter the lemon or sugar the way you like it and could use powdered sacharin is you dont use sugar .
a word of warning though , on the site i got te recipie off it mentioned people who are prone to having fits not to drink it , and not to drink by the gallon as you may get the runs .
i like a drink when i get up and one before i go to bed , im off to do some in a minute .
i will see if i can find the web site as there were other recipies on it .
chrissie b

WG.

Sage Teas
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 13:23 »
Sage tea was very widely drunk in Britain before tea was imported from China

Trillium

Sage Teas
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 23:38 »
I find glass teapots best for herbal teas. Once the tea has steeped a few minutes, be sure to take out the herbs or it'll just get stronger and less palatable.
As for sage tea, not everyone can drink it. My homeopath warned me against it with the remedies I take, so you'll want to ask your guests first before serving it. I do know people who simply air dry the leaves, along with other herbs, and store them in closed jars to avoid damp.

xx
dried sage

Started by chrissie B on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post November 17, 2015, 18:51
by Yorkie
xx
Using sage in recipes

Started by Suzyq2909 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post October 02, 2017, 17:05
by jaydig
xx
Blackcurrant Sage

Started by Blueoak on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post August 14, 2011, 22:11
by Trillium
xx
Any ideas for sage?

Started by lazza on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post July 22, 2012, 22:26
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 38 queries.