Anyone got their Runners in yet?

• 73 Replies

Thrift

Re: Anyone got there Runners in yet?
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 09:03 »
Have just sown some in a pot on the kitchen windowsill but will also put some in the ground later on. They seem to be a bit cantankerous so I always cover all the options.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2012, 10:37 »
Sowed mine last weekend in an unheated greenhouse.

(yours will soon be Ice I'm sure)
Yeah, it's always a battle with the elements, that's the joy of growing your own. :)

I had the same problem a few years back Ice.  :(

What a mess.  :ohmy:  Heartbreaking, isn't it. :(
Cheese makes everything better.

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2012, 10:46 »
Sowed my runners and climbing french beans far too early - despite all the warnings on here, I showed restraint until the end of March when I could wait no longer.    They are all fighting their way out of the modules now in my cold greenhouse but there's no way they will be going out this weekend now that I've seen the forecast.

I am keeping a diary of lessons learnt for reference next year as this is my first full growing season, and this has been added to the list (along with "potatoes take up too much space - I do not have room for 100 seed potatoes so do not buy them next year"!) ::)
No matter how many plants I have in my garden, I can always find room for one more.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2012, 10:55 »
I didn't really calm down and not plant too early until my third year and even then it was a strain. :lol:  Still learning, still making mistakes though. :)

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2012, 12:04 »
GYO.... Don't worry we've all sown too early but the best way to learn is to make a mistake.  I did it once and broke runnerbean stems trying to unravel them :wacko:. I ended up sowing them again. ITs much easier to plant them shorter.

Do androids dream of electric sheep?

Paul Plots

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2012, 13:46 »
I didn't really calm down and not plant too early until my third year and even then it was a strain. :lol:  Still learning, still making mistakes though. :)

And I got so cautious everyone else was picking runners one year when the first of mine germinated.   ::)  :lol:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2012, 13:55 »
GYO.... Don't worry we've all sown too early but the best way to learn is to make a mistake.  I did it once and broke runnerbean stems trying to unravel them :wacko:. I ended up sowing them again. ITs much easier to plant them shorter.

Actually I'm quite proud of myself to have had enough self restraint to wait until the end of March - if I hadn't been lurking on this forum and heeded the warnings everything would have been sown alongside my brassicas in January!  :D

I think I'll pot them on to seperate them a bit - it's getting tight for space in the module trays and they look like they will start tying themselves in knots soon.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 13:58 by GYO Girl »

Sweet Pea 2

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2012, 14:53 »
I think I'm going to leave mine until next week, they will go into my coldframe.  We are forecast for frost here at the weekend.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2012, 15:45 »
Mine are going into the cold frame tomorrow to harden up as today (May 3rd) is the official last frost date according to the moss boggits or mossites to gave them their propper name.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2012, 16:37 »
i plant mine on the 14th may each year so by the time they come up there is no risk of frost.
also dont want them ready too early cos ill be eating summer cabbage , salad with new potatoes etc

mattwragg94

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2012, 17:21 »
i sowed some of mine (hestia and streamline) about a month ago in the greenhouse they are around a couple of inches tall now. but this weekend i will be doing my 'proper' sowings of enorma and white lady - oops i forgot to buy some whitelady seeds :ohmy:, so it might be early next week before i get to sow them.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2012, 17:33 »
I started some off a several weeks ago in paper pots and left them outside on a south facing patio and they have sulked themselves to death. :ohmy:

So started more off in the warmth of the utility last weekend.

Gandan57

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2012, 19:46 »
Just been and measured my plants, and the tallest is 55 inches high. Still no flowers yet though.
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

mattwragg94

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2012, 20:06 »
Just been and measured my plants, and the tallest is 55 inches high. Still no flowers yet though.

:ohmy:  55 inches this early on in the season! I did an early sowing, but they are only a couple of inches high!

Auntiemogs

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2012, 20:21 »
i sowed some of mine (hestia and streamline) about a month ago in the greenhouse they are around a couple of inches tall now. but this weekend i will be doing my 'proper' sowings of enorma and white lady - oops i forgot to buy some whitelady seeds :ohmy:, so it might be early next week before i get to sow them.
99p from premier seeds direct Matt (ebay) if you don't already have them.  :)  I shall be trying them for the first time this year...
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

xx
Rooted strawberry runners sending out runners.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 16, 2018, 19:42
by Tracybutton
xx
strawberry runners from runners, any good to use?

Started by fizz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 11, 2018, 14:46
by Kleftiwallah
xx
strawberry runners on runners now what do i do

Started by darrenwest1 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 23, 2010, 18:24
by darrenwest1
xx
yay runners

Started by kezlou on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 05, 2008, 10:00
by titch

Page created in 0.386 seconds with 38 queries.