How do you get your water to the allotment?

• 42 Replies

kari

Re: How do you get your water to the allotment?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010, 08:25 »
blimey, I never realised so many people had taps on site, do you have to pay for your water?? I would happily pay more rent to have access to a tap
New to gardening & growing my own, its a very steep learning curve!

vet

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 08:52 »
We pay separate bills for water & rent. Sometimes we have to pay extra when water bill comes in higher than expected. Next time people on site complain about extra charges I will have to point them in the direction of these posts :tongue2: 

diggerjoe

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2010, 12:00 »
We dont pay extra for water but I would be happy to having a tap just a plot away is so handy we cant use hoses as soem tome back someone left one on all night so they are banned. Tonight it will be watering relay handy if you have relative and extra watering cans :D

Trikidiki

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2010, 13:23 »
I bought 2 1000 litre IBCs. Unfortunately some bu**er stole one the day I put them on the plot. The plan was to use a battery powered pump to pump water from 40 gallon drums (runoff from the greenhouse) up into the IBCs through the wet weather then use a hose from the IBCs when it was dry. Unfortunately the dry has been too long since the IBC was filled in the wet.

Back to lugging containers of water from home. Polypins, gallon containers, even tried an 18 gallon beer barrel in the wheelbarrow.

Plan B.

Bought 200metres of decent hose really cheap from Amazon. When the butts and IBC are empty on the allotment I drag the hoses aross the field which backs onto my house and borders my allotment then fill everything and give the ground  a thorough soaking. Also fill neighbouring plot holders butts (we're not metered at home).

Just acquired another IBC so have around 2500 litres of storage capacity on the plot.

wendyg

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2010, 20:07 »
We use a 30 litre aquaroll, a plastic beer pressure barrel and 3 collapsible camping water carriers, only trouble is they are heavy to lift into and out of the car.

Wendy
1 Chicken House Blue, 1 Pied Suffolk, 1 Sussex, 1 Copper Black, 1 Cocker Spaniel, 1 border terrier x min. bull terrier, 1 Cat and an allotment.

stentman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2010, 21:05 »
We have one tap for the whole site of 21 plots (we have lots of hose) water pressure is pitiful and it can take almost 2 hours to fill a wheelie bin. We have to be friendly with each other and accept that sometimes you won't get the hose that day. But the water in the wheelie bin allows me to use my trusty watering can. Most of us fill a container with the hose when it's quiet and use cans for ease, this frees up the hose for others. With my stent enhanced ticker lugging large water containers is a personal no no so the slow hose is fine. Those without water on site have my admiration.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 21:29 by stentman »
Stents keeping things open 24/7

If one way be better than another, that you can be sure is natures way. Aristotle 384BC - 322BC

Starling

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2010, 21:32 »
One guy on our site has the plot that backs on to his garden, so he trails his hose over the fence and plugs it in to his sprinklers while he enjoys a glass of wine :nowink:

Wombat

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2010, 21:48 »
Got 2 x 5 gallon plastic containers off Freecycle.  Use them to top up a plastic dustbin every few days.  Very heavy though.  Have only been watering the stuff that is recently planted or trasplanted from home.  The established spuds, peas, onions etc seem to be doing ok despite the long dry spell.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2010, 21:49 »
One guy on our site has the plot that backs on to his garden, so he trails his hose over the fence and plugs it in to his sprinklers while he enjoys a glass of wine :nowink:

at first I thought lucky devil 8)............then I thought.......... I hope he's not got a water meter :ohmy:  :lol:

twiggy-pea-sticks

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2010, 22:06 »
We're lucky too have a two taps on our site and one of them is at the end of our plot.  We used to have a collapsible plastic water carrier that carried a lot of water, for when we went camping.  Think it was about a fiver, could be good, but they are pretty heavy.

birmancats

• Experienced Member
  • RIP Toffee
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2010, 22:20 »
Saw a H2Go at the Three Counties Show - looked pretty good - wheelbarrow sized and shaped plastic bag for lugging water around.  Don't know how heavy it would be though.

Wombat18

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2010, 23:07 »
I'm lucky enough to have a tank at the end of the neighbouring plot.  It's about a 50 yard round trip there and back.  I have two big watering cans which hold about 10 litres of water between them.  Probably 20-30 trips an evening to water the whole plot.

Shedenvy

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2010, 23:48 »
I brought 5 colapsable camping water carriers which each hold 10ltrs from poundland so i thought i was on to a winner but disapointingly the tops are rubbish but if you dont fill them more than 3/4 full they are ok a simular thing holding 15ltrs from camping shops is £6.99 so £5 to hold 4o ltrs approx was worth the dodgy lids i thought 

Half a plot man

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2010, 21:10 »
We ar e very lucky, we have four mains fed water tanks for when the water butts run out. I feel sorry for those of you with no tanks - speak to your councils as they should provide them, even a small increase in rent would be worth it.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2010, 21:16 »
we have two water butts and taps on site, I am so pleased we do  :)

xx
I learned Today That Anglia Water are Not Turning On Our Allotment Water Supply

Started by NN2Blue on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 06, 2012, 09:48
by mumofstig
xx
No water at the allotment

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post February 07, 2011, 19:21
by Togalosh
xx
do you have water on your allotment?

Started by Carollan on Grow Your Own

42 Replies
Last post October 29, 2011, 22:17
by fluffstermum
xx
Standing water on allotment.

Started by tom/barbara on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 27, 2011, 14:55
by tom/barbara

Page created in 0.364 seconds with 40 queries.