borlotti beans

• 24 Replies

Veggie Virgin

Re: borlotti beans
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 21:00 »
had intended to leave my borlotti beans on the plants so that they would dry.  However, left husband in charge of harvesting French and runner beans while I was away for the weekend.  Devastated on my return to discover that he had stripped my borlotti plants of their beautifully ripening beans as well!!!  So I am now looking at recipes for borlotti beans and having to give some away.   Oh well.  My only consolation is that I can try again next year.

Trebor

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 11:01 »
If you have picked them early you can still let them dry in the pod. When the pod is dry/ brownish you take them out and put them on a baking tray to carry on drying. In a week or two they will be dry and ready to store. (I found this out by accident – overenthusiastic about picking them, but now have loads of dry beans).

TinaD

Re: borlotti beans and chick peas
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 12:57 »
What variety of borlottis do you grow?  Mine must have been a dwarf/bush one cos they certainly didn't climb!

Re chick peas, I grew them as an experiment this year - they are lovely fresh - when very green they seem to be fine raw, otherwise steamed.  Those I left to see if they dry seem to have disappeared - anyone else got any ideas on this?  I'm definitely growing them again next year though.

I also tried puy lentils - they've grown fine but they are so fiddly to pod.  They're still sitting in a bag waiting for me to finish them off.   Don't know if I'll bother with them again.

angoldwell

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2009, 17:38 »
Hi everyone, new member here!! logged on to find out what do do with my borlotti beans.
If I dry them out will they need a 20 minute boil before using them in any recipe?
Have a great crop and certainly look good in the garden.

zazen999

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2009, 07:31 »
Yes, after an overnight soak....

Clover

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2009, 07:49 »
Mine are safely eaten and frozen  :)

Tina - good to hear the chickpeas taste good green.  An indian friend was telling me they cooked them in curries that way too, but it seemed like it was only as a last resort because they wouldn't dry here.

Is there a particular variety of chickpea to grow in the UK climate?  Someone I know can pick up some Franchi seeds from Greece for me, apparantly they're much cheaper over there, but are they the right thing?

......and Le Puy are my absolute favourite.  I'd love to try them fresh too.  Did you buy seeds (where from?) or just use some from the supermarket?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2009, 13:30 »
Mine are safely eaten and frozen  :)

On first reading that seemed an odd one  :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

yummy

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2009, 22:22 »
I actually have some beans now. Will freeze them as described in this thread - thanks for that. I'm never organised enough to plan to soak them over night you see.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2009, 15:39 »
Don't forget that you can speed up the soaking process for dry beans by cooking them in a pressure cooker. Eg small haricot beans 1 hour soak then 20 mins at high pressure. Good if you suddenly want to cook the beans but haven't soaked overnight.

Cheers HH
Keep digging

gillie

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2009, 16:00 »
You need to soak and cook dry beans in  soft water.  If  your tap water is hard buy a low calcium mineral water - it really makes a lot of  difference.

Cheers,

Gillie

xx
french beans or borlotti beans?

Started by nilsatis1964 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 21:49
by waddecar
xx
borlotti beans

Started by aqua on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 11, 2011, 20:36
by aqua
clip
Borlotti Beans

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 18, 2021, 22:48
by Plot 1 Problems
xx
Borlotti Beans

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 16, 2013, 18:14
by New shoot

Page created in 0.412 seconds with 38 queries.