rooting compound/hormone??

• 12 Replies

Ruth Cross

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.kitchenacademy.co.uk/
« on: March 05, 2008, 15:49 »
I would quite like to take some cuttings from some of my well established herbs this year. However I have never ever taken a cutting so will need step by step tips if anyone can help. Also what rooting compound/hormone stuff should I use, how much should I pay for it???

Trillium

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 20:32 »
Looks like the others are puzzled on this one. I use a powdered one that's specific to softwood cuttings. There's usually a range of 3 strengths so look for this one. No idea on UK prices but it shouldn't run more than a few pounds, and it'll last years unless you're mad keen on cuttings.

Try to take the cutting just below one of the little stem bumps (nodes), dip just the cutting tip bottom onto the powder, shake it off excess and carefully slide into a damp half sand, half compost mix, and place in a clear plastic bag which you can tie. Keep out of direct sun until you see growth. Several cuttings can start in the same pot.
In Canada we also have a clear gel product that you simply place the cutting into. Not sure if it's in the UK.

Somewhere on the BBC Gardener's World website, there's a Monty Don clip with him doing cuttings I believe.

noshed

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 20:38 »
Wilkos do a pot v cheaply.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

gobs

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 21:16 »
I don't use any rooting thingy, Rooth, and if you feel you must, then as a guide, if you put that much on that you can see it , you put on too much. :lol:

What plant is this, exactly, by-the-by? :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Eristic

• Experienced Member
    • http://downtheplot.com/index.php
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 01:37 »
I'm with Nosher on this one Don't bother, just take plenty of cuttings and don't count the ones that die.

For interest though, I was taught at school to dip the cutting in water, dip it in the powder, knock the powder off back into the tub, plant the cutting. But that was in the bad old days before Comprehensive Schools when Rural Science was just part of the curriculem along with Maths, English, General Science and Woodwork.

Ruth Cross

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 09:50 »
I was hoping to do rosemary cuttings as the plant I have is really well established on my balcony, but want to make a herb bed at the allotment.

I'd rather save the money if its not essential to buy the powder, but if its only a case of a couple of £ then I might give it a go anyway.

Trillium what 'strength' will I need for herbs??

Dominic

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 12:01 »
You can rooting hormone?

Would it be useful for transplanting trees/bushes?

Get them rooting into their new home nice and quickly?
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

The Thin Blue Line

• Experienced Member
  • One Forking at a time please.
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 12:25 »

Ruth Cross

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 14:06 »
thanks thin blue line, thats exactly what I was looking for. I'll let you know how I get on :wink:

Annie

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 21:03 »
Rosemary cuttings take really easily,take 3 cuttings,strip the leaves back about 1 inch and put the cuttings round the edge of a pot,put a poly bag over the pot after watering,secure with a plastic bag.If you put the pot somewherecoolish and with moderate light the cuttings will take easily.Just check every now and then to make sure the bag is not in contact with the leaves,result 3 rosemary plants.This works well with other herbs,if you try sage then plant the pot out when it`s rooted for a big clump that will be slower to go bare in the middle.
I think you can get the rooting gel pots,nice for children to see roots form but often a jamjar with water works just as well.

gobs

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 21:13 »
Quote from: "Annie"
Rosemary cuttings take really easily,take 3 cuttings,strip the leaves back about 1 inch and put the cuttings round the edge of a pot,put a poly bag over the pot after watering,secure with a plastic bag.If you put the pot somewherecoolish and with moderate light the cuttings will take easily.Just check every now and then to make sure the bag is not in contact with the leaves,result 3 rosemary plants.This works well with other herbs,if you try sage then plant the pot out when it`s rooted for a big clump that will be slower to go bare in the middle.
I think you can get the rooting gel pots,nice for children to see roots form but often a jamjar with water works just as well.

Or much better, well, I don't bother with any gimmicks. Very true, soft wood rosemary cuttings with heel. End of. Stick in soil all needs be doing, fast like not having it lingering about. 8)

sharky

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 06:10 »
Quote from: "The Thin Blue Line"
have a read of this

http://www.rhs.org.uk/publications/pubs/garden0405/propagation.asp

Just read that and it had got me wondering..

It mentions the chemicals a plant manufactures to encourage root growth is Indoleacetic acid, though in wilkinsons own brand rooting powder, the chemical used is called Naphthylacetic acid?

The Thin Blue Line

• Experienced Member
  • One Forking at a time please.
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 06:51 »
indoleacetic acid is an auxin while Naphthylacetic acid has auxin like properties, simply a cheap0  
 :tongue2:

xx
Rooting hormone

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 29, 2012, 13:34
by nuzuki
xx
Honey as a rooting compound!!

Started by greenhead on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 28, 2013, 11:57
by greenhead
xx
Make your own rooting hormone

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 29, 2008, 21:38
by Robin Redbreast
xx
cheshunt compound

Started by Janeymiddlewife on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 16, 2010, 16:32
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.417 seconds with 39 queries.