Male or female who takes what role on the plot

• 54 Replies

Beetroot queen

Re: Male or female who takes what role on the plot
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2013, 10:24 »
I do most of the work, it is really my allotment as I got it years before I met the wife.  But she does help out quite a lot.  Being a teacher she is normal stuck inside marking at weekends especially in spring so I do most of the planting etc.  During the summer holidays my wife does help a lot more.  She is now 8 1/2 months pregnant now so not sure how the jobs will be divvied up in future! :)

Another one must be something in this allotment lark, my daughter said all my children have been found on the cabbage patch  :lol: congratulations

compostqueen

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2013, 10:26 »
Me, myself I here too. My husband steers well clear of the plot as it's my domain.  He turned up ONCE and began dishing orders out. Imagine  :nowink:

Beetroot queen

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2013, 10:32 »
Me, myself I here too. My husband steers well clear of the plot as it's my domain.  He turned up ONCE and began dishing orders out. Imagine  :nowink:

What a nerve lol.  :lol: we do tend to take it in shifts, Florence isn't great walking on a slope so she does the bit in the middle when we swap roles. Hubby does get his orders when he leaves, if only he would follow the map it would mean less colouring in for me  ::)

plum crumble

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2013, 12:12 »

HMMM - I've got one of those - was just renewing the strings on my marvellous Munty Frame, which has stood beautifully for 4 years after I (NOT himself) built it and stringed it in the first place. "Oh, says OH, do you think it is strong enough?" I thought about responding rather rudely, pointing out the last 4 years, but instead gave him THE LOOK. You all know what I mean by THE LOOK. He shut up at that point and went back to his salad...  :nowink:
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

vanessa.xx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2013, 12:14 »
The plot is in my name but Hubby did the big dig over and major weeding, then built my shed and put up my greenhouse and lastly made my raised beds. I'm afraid I don't trust him to weed, plant, water etc and to be honest he makes me nervous when he's walking around the plot because he thinks he's a good weeder  :nowink: no chance I'm also the planner etc he would just grow spuds, he still comes up with me but he's a bit of a spare part now I'm thinking of hiring him out to the other plot holders as a digger  :D

plum crumble

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2013, 12:46 »
I only let him weed his salad box!! Funnily enough, he doesn't seem to be around when the beds with 80 spud plants and 300 onions need weeding. Suddenly finds something really important to do somewhere else.

Actually, I don't mind at all, I love having some time on my own on the lottie. This Bank Hol Monday, had a lovely day there, topped with a delightful little Robin chirruping away amongst the blossom of my fruit trees at the back of the lottie. I love my lottie!

AndyArch

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2013, 12:57 »
I do most myself - it is my haven of peace and quiet  8). My wife will help if she is available and makes a lovely picnic when she comes up.

Kids are interested sometimes and just made them a small planter each to let them have their own mini plot.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2013, 13:11 »
I am the head gardener and make the decisions.  :D

I do the planning, the seed raising, the weeding, the planting, the clearing, the pruning.
We share the watering and the harvesting.

He does as he is told, the deep digging and making the raised beds, planters and constructing the bean frames.
We find it is best not to work together at the plot or the garden as there are rows, which sometimes needs apology flowers being bought, as he follows me round telling me what I am doing wrong, and having the occasion rant at me, sometimes with things being thrown :( Amazing how all the seeds I sow and prick out seem to flourish really ::)

Also amazing how the back garden flourishes under my hands. ::) ::)
The white lilies he bought me this week have just opened. ;)

Sue33

« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2013, 13:43 »

My OH wasn't at all keen on the idea to start with which was fine by me as it was my hobby but over the years he's got more and more involved and is now on the committee  :nowink: he's in charge of potatoes and paths but I tell him where they'll go  :D

Christine

« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2013, 20:24 »
I do the work, the local family comes along for food. Admittedly over the years, the son-in-law has done some man jobs with hammer and saw, daughter has painted the shed and they do the tops of the hedges between them a couple of times a year as the job needs a ladder holding.

But for the most part, it's my plot and I wouldn't want disturbing from the serious work.  :lol:

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2013, 20:32 »
I design the plot, decide what we're growing, sow seeds and "consult"
Other half does the building and heavy digging
We share weeding duties.

Hubby still says it's my lotty but thankfully is happy to come and help when I need it (even if he does grumble at times)
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

Welsh Merf

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2013, 20:50 »
Simple answer.......................everything = ME!
I may be Welsh, but I love ewe anyway!

See my diary pages here

and add a comment here

starry

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2013, 08:15 »
All these pregnancies ! Hope its not catching  :blink: 
The allotment was in joint names as my beloved was going to contribute ( I got really annoyed with the council as originally all letters regarding the plot were only addressed to him !) But now its mine as we couldn't agree with the layout so the baton was passed to me  :) he occasionally complains that it looks a bit untidy  :mad: and asks if we are ever going to get any produce from it (we have had loads of stuff) but he has been very supportive and doesn't complain when I need to buy yet more stuff tools,netting etc etc.
some people are like slinkys......they're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face as you push them down the stairs!!

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2013, 08:52 »
We find it is best not to work together at the plot or the garden as there are rows, which sometimes needs apology flowers being bought, ....the occasion rant at me

Do you live with an Italian as well Mrs Bee? Mine can go from nought to shouty in 0.6 seconds :D

BabbyAnn

« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2013, 10:53 »
my plot so all roles so far are mine  :D 

xx
male and female cucs.

Started by I Love Spuds on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 11, 2017, 23:19
by gobs
xx
onions- male or female?

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 06, 2008, 10:18
by DD.
xx
Cucumbers male or female?

Started by nilsatis1964 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 20:40
by DD.
xx
F1 F2 Hybrid Male Female...

Started by barney rubble on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 03, 2009, 09:35
by barney rubble

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 39 queries.