Bargain Offers

• 15 Replies

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Bargain Offers
« on: May 15, 2006, 16:23 »
I just popped into Morrisons (OK, my wife dragged me in) and spotted the pots they put cut flowers in at 99p for 8. Drill some holes in the base and you have 9 inch pots at 12p each.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Bargain Offers
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 22:41 »
I got some of those last year John, very useful they are too!!!

I bought 15 boxes of once used 3 inch pots at an auction 2 years ago, with about 500 pots per box (yes I know, who'd want THAT many??  but I only wanted 1 box but had to buy the lot.  Still they were only £15 the lot.  anyone down Lincolnshire way, pop in and help yourselves!!!!!

Phoenix

• Experienced Member
Bargain Offers
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 07:06 »
I went to BnQ last night for some 8 foot canes for my runners.... bought 3 packs of 10 (took the ribbon off 1 and tied it to the others) and the dosey cow scanned it once, so i had 30 for the price of 10 :)
Like War games then click on the link below - goto forum and ask for me (Black_Stalion)
Ambroid Online Multiplayer War Game

sally_cinnamon

Re: Bargain Offers
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 09:15 »
Quote from: "john"
I just popped into Morrisons (OK, my wife dragged me in) and spotted the pots they put cut flowers in at 99p for 8. Drill some holes in the base and you have 9 inch pots at 12p each.

I also popped into said store and found the plant buckets and managed to find 12 stuck together with the tape so got an even better bargain!  Needless to say I returned the next day for more so now have 26 black buckets in my garage waiting for something to go into them! :tongue2:
Love peace and jelly babies
"A posse ad esse" - From possibility to actuality

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Bargain Offers
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 09:38 »
Well not so lucky or clever as some, the checkout operator managed to charge us for 29 blocks of cheese instead of 2 - we noticed something was wrong and eventually they managed to sort it out.
When we got home, the brains of the family carefully checked and they had still overcharged us one block of cheese so I have to go back in and get another 3.09 back.
I hate supermarket shopping.
And the silly girl who decided the car park was a race track and zoomed past on my right as I was turning right into a space. Brains stopped me from discussing the error of her ways with her when she parked. (I think my words should be left off here in case children are present!)
I was also dragged into Aldi where I noticed they have quite a few bargains in the gardening equipment line and seeds at 39p a packet - although I didn't look at varieties since I'd had enough by then.

noshed

Bargain Offers
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 09:54 »
Steady on Phoenix, that person you're talking about is probably a low-paid worker who's just dreaming of the end of her shift.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Bargain Offers
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 11:17 »
And she did you a favour so perhaps you owe her a thankyou rather than an insult?

I've worked in the B&Q type places - it's pretty grim. Staff are paid the lowest possible on rotten contracts designed to minimise the company responsibility.  

WalMart (ASDA) were instructing their managers to 'encourage' staff to miss or take shorter breaks as well.  Not exactly the care one would expect from 'the WalMart family' as they paint on their vans.

twysted1

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.bodymod.org/profiles/v2/profile.asp?Main=1&PF=7907
Bargain Offers
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 11:23 »
Quote from: "Phoenix"
I went to BnQ last night for some 8 foot canes for my runners.... bought 3 packs of 10 (took the ribbon off 1 and tied it to the others) and the dosey cow scanned it once, so i had 30 for the price of 10 :)

i dont think that is very nice of you pheonix. not onlt is it not nice but unessasary and unpleasant. you could after all be talking about my sister.

Phoenix

• Experienced Member
Bargain Offers
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 16:29 »
i used to know her she was in my school (was the biggest girl bully in the yr) so she deserves all she gets.. but anyway soz if ive offended any of u

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Bargain Offers
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 19:22 »
I think sometimes we all say things or write things that on reflection we could have put better.

I sent an email only the other week that I thought was funny but the chap I sent it to thought I was being really cross.  The problem with forums and email is that we don't see the other person who may be smiling.

I also cringe at a post I made on a forum that I thought was really funny but no one else did. (They were on about liking horses and I commented that my cat would like to point out they were very tasty )

Does anyone want a rotten cold (unsubtle change of subject) as I've had enough of it.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Bargain Offers
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2006, 22:00 »
As you say John, we can't see the person on the receiving end of our posts, who may indeed be smiling at their little 'joke' and I think we should take what people say with a pinch of salt.  I used to belong to a cross stitch site, as did my little friend Oliveview, and we had to change to a password protected site because we got a lot of people trying to make trouble for others, many of whom they also had never met, and now I hardly go on there, as it seems to be starting again, but amongst people who have been 'friends' online for 5 years now.

I try not to say anything that may upset people, like I wasn't going to say anything to phoenix, about his post, but he has explained why he said what he said, so that's it.  I'm getting a bit of a dozy cow in my old age too.  When we lived in Essex, I helped out for a while in the local spar.  I was going through a certain phase in my life then which I don't think I'm out of yet, and was left on my own after only a few days there.  I only did a few hours at weekends.  Well one day a man came in and wanted to pay by cheque.  I had been told not to accept cheques, and he had also bought some electric on his card thingy. He wasn't at all happy, the owner wasn't around, so I phoned one of the girls and she agreed with me. But I panicked.  The man said he would go and try to get some money.  I was told to cancel what I'd put on the till, but I forgot the electric had gone through the other machine.  So when he came back, I put his shopping through again, but forgot to charge him for the electric £30!!!  When I realised what I had done I was mortified.  And I felt so bad, I couldn't even face the owner again.  I wrote her a letter of apology, and said I couldn't go back there to work.  Am I a woos or what?

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Bargain Offers
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2006, 22:34 »
I think a lot of people have no idea of the stress that public facing jobs can have.  People seem to think they can say what they like to shop assistants, bank clerks etc. Couple that with management often being based on threat and it can get intolerable.

I've worked in retail sales both at the sharp end and at the top - guess what, there's less stress at the top by a long chalk.

OK - back to bargains - drilled some holes through my Morrisons pots today - tip go slowly because they are quite brittle. And I got a refund for the cheese we didn't have :)

sally_cinnamon

Bargain Offers
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2006, 13:27 »
Good tip john - I havent yet tackled poking holes in mine yet, repotting will probably be a task for this weekend - and it does remind me what the check-out lady at morrisons was telling me about the best way to put holes in them, which is apparently with a red hot poker... I did think it was a bit random at the time, but obviously she knew her mustard! (Is that the right saying, it seems a bit strange now I've typed it...?).

I have also worked in retail and have undoubtedly had many moments when I would have qualified for the "dozy cow" title, and to be fair would admit that it was probably called for too!  But you're all right, the context can be hard to see when reading messages, same goes for d**n text messages, my dad always uses capitals and its like he's shouting!!!

SweetPea

• Experienced Member
Bargain Offers
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2006, 13:55 »
I brought some of those tubs from Morrisons too!  My OH popped some holes in them using a power drill - a couple had slightly different bases to the others and these ones were rather brittle, but the majority were fine :D

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Bargain Offers
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2006, 14:06 »
I got a few extra pots the other day - there were none on the shop floor so I asked and a kind lady wrapped me up a dozen for 99p.

I think different flower suppliers are sending them different pots too.  Mind you, it's net profit to Morrisons which makes them happy, a bargain to us and it recycles something they probably just chucked away. Good all round.

Just being dragged out shopping as Val still can't drive with her injured ankle. Please hope she gets better soon, I don't know how much more I can take.

Why did the bloke ahead of me at Sainsbury looked shocked he had to pay for his shopping. Why did it take him an hour to find his wallet and decide which of two credit cards to use? Did he understand death was standing near to him in the queue?

Why can't they provide site maps so you can find things? Do people have to completely block an isle so they can have a chat?

I love shopping - if you believe that, please email me for a wonderful investment opportunity :)

xx
More Offers

Started by John on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post July 22, 2006, 17:27
by John
xx
Are there any good shed offers on now ?

Started by wbmkk on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post March 10, 2016, 00:16
by m1ckz
xx
What A bargain

Started by cissie on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post October 24, 2010, 16:24
by Gwiz
xx
a bargain??

Started by agapanthus on Equipment Shed

14 Replies
Last post April 13, 2008, 09:36
by agapanthus

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 38 queries.