new run! need to make it fun!

• 3 Replies

neenyneen

new run! need to make it fun!
« on: June 13, 2011, 16:22 »
i have eventually talked my OH into giving me half the dogs pen for the chooks  :lol:, it will be about 10 feet long by about 12 feet wide and about 7 feet high (approx measurements), so im hoping to put some tree branches and shelves with ladders so they can roost at different levels. I have 3 ladies, they free range when i get home from work and at weekends in the garden, but as they are in the run most of the time i wanted to make it a little more interesting for them without taking up precious floor space. any suggestions as to what other fun aspects i can add would be most grealty appreciated!

Thanks

Neeny  :)
love my chickens me! :-)

terri

• 1st egg
Re: new run! need to make it fun!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 17:05 »
you could put a hanging cd in there and tie up food for them to jump up to corn on the cob etc iv read on here some people have a mirror for them ,old tyre full of soil sand for a dust bath. is is on soil so they can dig scratch if not you could import a strip of turf for them  :D
4 children, 1 hubby, 2 g,pigs, 1 gecko 3 hens, 2 fish,2 cats

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 17:40 »
Our run goes under our raised coop so the area under the coop is all boarded in round the sides and we put a roost bar in there. It gets used alot, as they can get away from the wind and rain and can get shelter from the sun.

We have a couple of large logs with other roost bars coming off them. They all get used.
I have flagstones under the feeders and drinkers (they hang) they keep much cleaner as less muck can get kicked into them.

The open part of the run, (weld mesh roof) is just soil with a few logs etc and every now and again i buy a roll of turn from B and Q, for less than £3.00.

I was initially told when I was planning my run that they didnt need any of this, maybe they dont, but they certainly like it.

neenyneen

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 14:29 »

We have a couple of large logs with other roost bars coming off them. They all get used.
I have flagstones under the feeders and drinkers (they hang) they keep much cleaner as less muck can get kicked into them.

The open part of the run, (weld mesh roof) is just soil with a few logs etc and every now and again i buy a roll of turn from B and Q, for less than £3.00.

I was initially told when I was planning my run that they didnt need any of this, maybe they dont, but they certainly like it.

im going to get a few roosting bars, i currently only have those that are in the coop, but have an old chair in the run that they love to perch on!

we are currently digging drainage chanels in our garden so no need to buy the turf as all the sections of grass we remove go straight into the run too, worms galore!

I was also thinking of having a covered part of the run as again, the only covered part would be the coop and my girls do not like going in there during the day, i was thinking either a tarpaulin or polycarbonate sheets - so many ideas, so little time and even less pennies! :blink:

you could put a hanging cd in there and tie up food for them to jump up to corn on the cob etc iv read on here some people have a mirror for them ,old tyre full of soil sand for a dust bath. is is on soil so they can dig scratch if not you could import a strip of turf for them  :D

CD's and Mirrors are a great idea, its funny enough watching mine battle with their own reflections in the conservatory windows, a mirror would be hysterical!

xx
Which make is best?

Started by Blobbs on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post April 26, 2012, 18:20
by Blobbs
xx
ill never make

Started by naturesparadise on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 10, 2008, 00:28
by GrannieAnnie
question
Can I make a hen go broody?

Started by SnooziSuzi on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 29, 2009, 14:04
by Bodger
xx
help me make up my mined

Started by naturesparadise on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post March 15, 2008, 13:09
by naturesparadise

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 38 queries.