What I did on the plot today 2018

• 355 Replies

MarkC

Re: What I did on the plot today 2018
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2018, 17:35 »
Almost finished digging over .... :) . Dug up a few Kestrel spuds which I must have missed when lifting them last August/Sept. All in good nick bar one with slug/worm damage. Big ones too.

Limed area designated for brassicas.

Lifted remaining parsnips for storing. Only leeks, a few sprouts and a little cavolo nero and PSB left now.

Absolutely BALTIC.....feet just about thawing out now. 

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2018, 09:50 »
Dont know about global warming , but down here its been a wet but mild winter The dafs are now in flower and yesterday I cut the grass !  :D
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2018, 13:44 »
Headed down the plot for a full day of work, but that was curtailed when I pulled my bicep whilst finishing tensioning the tunnel cover  :mad:
Got a support and some ice on it and hoping that it's not too serious and I can get down the plot again before the end of the week.

candygold1

« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2018, 11:36 »
took a walk upto the plot after a couple of months of neglect due to personal reasons and was quite shocked to see it almost as i left it apart from the elephant garlic is about 6 inch high. it gave me the motivation i needed to get down garden center and order my seed pots and shallots.

gstrong

« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2018, 16:32 »
Had been testing to see whether a fleece or polythene cloche worked better over winter on my wee plot...
Today I have discovered that a local cat has decided to take up residence in the fleece cloche.... I think the polythene one wins by default ;-)

Eblana

« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2018, 10:36 »
Managed to get an hour at the plot on Saturday and two hours yesterday.  Bitterly cold but got a bit done.  Saturday we brought up compost and sand.  Got the carrot/parsnip bed filled and I did some weeding around the poly tunnel.  Yesterday we brought a trailer of well rotted manure up and spread that on two of the potato beds.  OH also got the wood edging on the long bed along the fence finished while I weeded around the PT and the fruit beds.  We then picked up a trailer load of logs for the fire at home.  I was sad to discover that my plot neighbor appears to have given up, his two polytunnels and shed are gone and his chicken coup is all pulled apart as well.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2018, 23:39 »
Cold, but bright and sunny day today. Got a full day down the plot for the first time in ages. Had to lay some boards down over the paths as they've turned to a muddy bog. Woodchip deployment imminent  :D

Now the polytunnel is sturdy and stable I set about building the beds and chipping the paths. The bright sunshine meant that the tunnel hit a high of 18c, so it was t-shirt working, much to the amusement of my plot neighbours who were layered up to the heavens and still cold! Tommorrow I'll be rough digging the beds and then applying a huge load of homemade compost (full of worms) and the last of my Greengrow compost. I'll cover that lot with carboard for a week or so to warm the soil and then the Boy and I shall sow our first radishes and turnips.
S5000326.JPG

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2018, 07:39 »
Earlier this week I completed  shoring up the path, mowed the grass and finally got around to the 'Autumn' tidy up.

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2018, 08:14 »
Well it was yesterday really. Plot has some gaps in the hedges so I intended to plant hawthorn. Turned out a bigger job than expected, had to remove 2 layers of buried carpet, one sound and one rotten. Just when I think all the rubbish is gone..... Anyway,  I am aching today and haven't finished!

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2018, 17:28 »
This weekend it actually did not rain during the day, so off we went to get stuck in. First job was a lengthy polytunnel repair following wind damage which separated the cover along the stitches. I got some wide polytunnel repair tape to do the job, so hopefully it will last. Then pulled a load of leeks up and tidied the shed. Today i dug up a load of tired celery, dug one bed over and added a load of compost over it from one of the composters. Then turned the composters and topped them up. Dug another bed about halfway (they are about 7x4 feet). Pulled up weeds and mote general tidying. That'll be it until next weekend.

Silva

« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2018, 18:38 »
Yesterday I dug out a new bed, weeded around the raised beds and laid down woodchip to prevent regrowth, planted some shallots and started weeding one of the beds where the previous plot owner appears to have put in a couple of strawberry plants- hopefully they will provide some fruit this year!

Today I've laid in bed with flu and missed the lovely weather and an opportunity to get the plot ready for spring :(

Eblana

« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2018, 10:11 »
Didn't get anything done over the weekend as OH and Son were getting ready to go away working for the next two to three months (they both will be home every 10 days or so but only for short visits).  I did go to a snowdrop fair on my way down to drop them off and I bought 200 snowdrops in the green to put in the garden.  Have them sorted out here and I will pop them in later.  Going up to the plot later, I want to start the spuds chitting and I am going to pop my shallots into modules to get them started as their bed is too wet to dig at the moment.

snowdrops

« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2018, 19:09 »
Finished turning the compost bin, spread out 2 bags of manure from last year on bed 6. Hoed & raked bed 5. Harvested leeks,carrots & parsnips & pruned down 1 clump of chrysanthemums. Got very cold.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2018, 21:33 »
Took a trip to the plot and found that my plot neighbour was also mad enough to brave the cold and go to the allotments. Drank plenty of tea, did a bit of weeding and planted my shallots under an enviromesh cloche. I was suprised at how workable the soil is already, shame it's too cold to do anything yet!

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2018, 12:49 »
Built an extension to my compost areas with pallets and filled it with horse muck and straw dug the small area where we are planting some spuds and came home to warm up :)

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today 2015

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

923 Replies
Last post January 05, 2016, 18:35
by mumofstig
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2014

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

1611 Replies
Last post December 30, 2014, 21:59
by Aidy

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 54 queries.