Reused and repurposed 'second life' inspiration

• 51 Replies

chillimummy

Re: Reused and repurposed 'second life' inspiration
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2015, 19:26 »
At home I have made a cold frame from old bricks and my lid is a shower door. At the plot my nets are propped up by old trampoline legs and old climbing frame poles. ;)
I use plastic supermarket trays for plants and like lots of other people, guttering for planting peas before transplant to plot.
My old blowaway greenhouse has been put back together in a fashion to make staging for my greenhouse. ;)
Broken terracotta pots get buried in my raised beds.
Do hate throwing anything away  :lol:   
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

LotuSeed

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2015, 04:58 »
Not sure if this counts but if you have empty glass bottles you could make a bottle tree. Might make a nice artscape element to the garden.

https://smithsoniangardens.wordpress.com/2013/02/28/the-american-bottle-tree/
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

cadalot

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2015, 05:35 »
Not sure if this counts but if you have empty glass bottles you could make a bottle tree. Might make a nice artscape element to the garden.

Drunken Art - I love it  :nowink: :lol:

LotuSeed

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2015, 06:25 »

Drunken Art - I love it  :nowink: :lol:

OMG I hadn't even thought of it that way lol. I was trying to figure out where to get the bottles from. Lol. I drink a lot of soda and I don't think plastic two liter bottles would have the same effect  :lol:

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2015, 14:12 »
The trays that pots of yogurt, cream etc sit in in supermarkets make great plant pot trays.
Also you can make an awful lot of labels out of an empty plastic milk bottle.
Rachael

cadalot

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2015, 16:34 »
Filled with sand they make soft bricks for holding netting and weed membrane in place and lids on dustbins and incinerators etc.
Soft Sand Filled Milk Bottle Bricks.jpg
Soft Sand Filled Milk Bottle Bricks 2.jpg

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2015, 19:34 »
I fill mine with water in the winter and you have extra water for the summer
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

LotuSeed

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2015, 01:13 »
These are pretty cute. Not sure how much is considered up-cycling, but if you have most of the things on hand already ...
http://www.thriftyrebel.com/2014/07/how-to-make-strainer-planter-wind-chime.html?m=1
image.jpg
image.jpg

rogerbodger

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2015, 21:16 »
After my neighbour converted to a combi-boiler, I'm using a redundant cold water tank as a container for parsnips - deep enough and no problems with stony clay soil.

Ema

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2015, 22:51 »
I'm going to have to make a wind ml tomorrow!!

I use the large yogurt pots cut Into about 10 strips to make plant lables with a permeant marker pen.

Beekissed

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2015, 04:42 »
I LOVE to repurpose things...this subject is close to my heart, as I love to see something and imagine what it could be, something useful and whimsical. 

My current DIY repurpose is turning a full sized headboard and footboard of a bedframe into a little daybed/bench for my grandbaby. 

Pics of the progress...

Got these at Good Will for $15, the headboard was already painted with a single coat of white paint and the footboard was left alone.  This is an antique bedstead of pure cherry wood...hard as a rock to get a drill bit into and also the screws.  This pic is of the footboard split in half to form the sides of the bench/daybed.

Added a frame with 2x6s we have had for several years in our lumber pile...

First coats of paint....will add boards for the seat of the bench and stain those a natural stain, then will upholster the seat with memory foam to form a nice mattress for her little daybed. 

Will try to find this thread again when I get the seat done on it and post the pics of how it all looks at different stages and the finished bed.

An old colander we've had since I was a little girl had lost legs and handles and had been serving to scald tomatoes for canning for many a long year.  Last week I gave it a fresh coat of paint on the outside and turned it into a lampshade for our log cabin.

Old, mismatched silver plaited dinnerware collected down through the years were turned into windchimes...even threw in a wooden decal from an old headboard to form an angel's wing topper for the baby spoons and forks.

This one even has a piece of old costume jewelry in it...

Antique glass doorknobs found a new home on my chicken coop...while a feed sack becomes a rain flap.  And all the wood on this coop was saved from packing crates for over 50 yrs and also from several houses for that period of time, by two different elderly men and found their way into my hands when a widow cleaned out her garage and when I raided my Dad's old lumber scrap pile.  All the pieces were small and were fitted in like puzzle pieces. 

I could go on like this for pages and pages, as one of my most enjoyable hobbies is getting something for free or very cheap and making it into something useful once again or transforming it altogether into something else.  I like to make a small footprint on this world and recycling things that would otherwise be thrown away suits my style. 

green_lolly

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2015, 20:25 »
Wow! Beekissed - these are really great. Inspirational 😀
diary http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=118734.0

photos on Instagram - user name also green_lolly

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2015, 21:14 »
I love the day bed Beekissed!

RichardA

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2015, 10:51 »
old shower sliding doors used for heated propagator.
old cold water tank set up as wash basin for washing pots etc
old secondary glazing panels as lids to cold frames

Beekissed

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2015, 04:22 »
I LOVE to repurpose things...this subject is close to my heart, as I love to see something and imagine what it could be, something useful and whimsical. 

My current DIY repurpose is turning a full sized headboard and footboard of a bedframe into a little daybed/bench for my grandbaby. 

Pics of the progress...

Got these at Good Will for $15, the headboard was already painted with a single coat of white paint and the footboard was left alone.  This is an antique bedstead of pure cherry wood...hard as a rock to get a drill bit into and also the screws.  This pic is of the footboard split in half to form the sides of the bench/daybed.

Added a frame with 2x6s we have had for several years in our lumber pile...

First coats of paint....will add boards for the seat of the bench and stain those a natural stain, then will upholster the seat with memory foam to form a nice mattress for her little daybed. 

Will try to find this thread again when I get the seat done on it and post the pics of how it all looks at different stages and the finished bed.

An old colander we've had since I was a little girl had lost legs and handles and had been serving to scald tomatoes for canning for many a long year.  Last week I gave it a fresh coat of paint on the outside and turned it into a lampshade for our log cabin.

Old, mismatched silver plaited dinnerware collected down through the years were turned into windchimes...even threw in a wooden decal from an old headboard to form an angel's wing topper for the baby spoons and forks.

This one even has a piece of old costume jewelry in it...

Antique glass doorknobs found a new home on my chicken coop...while a feed sack becomes a rain flap.  And all the wood on this coop was saved from packing crates for over 50 yrs and also from several houses for that period of time, by two different elderly men and found their way into my hands when a widow cleaned out her garage and when I raided my Dad's old lumber scrap pile.  All the pieces were small and were fitted in like puzzle pieces. 

I could go on like this for pages and pages, as one of my most enjoyable hobbies is getting something for free or very cheap and making it into something useful once again or transforming it altogether into something else.  I like to make a small footprint on this world and recycling things that would otherwise be thrown away suits my style.

Finished that little daybed and also made a sleep guard for it from bargain bin brocade, so she won't fall out of bed..just used the brocade, a couple of thin boards, and some 550 cord for the sleep guard.  The mattress of the bed is comprised of pieces of a chaise lounge pad and some pieces of memory foam...used a trash bag cut open to line it so that any night accidents won't be permanently ingrained in the mattress.

First the bench...one day when she outgrows it,  it will revert to being a bench...

Then with the added mattress padding and upholstery...

Then with the sleep guard...took this design from mention a fellow made about sleeping berths on a boat and how they use canvas slings that come up from underneath to keep people from rolling out of the berth on rough seas.  When not in use, the board is slipped out of the pocket at the top and stored, while the sling is rolled up and is secured with velcro under the frame of the bed, completely out of sight. 

« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 04:24 by Beekissed »

xx
New life for an old matress

Started by missycat on Frugal Living

7 Replies
Last post May 28, 2010, 22:14
by missycat
xx
Mini greenhouses - life expectancy

Started by Ema on Frugal Living

9 Replies
Last post April 25, 2013, 14:41
by Ema
xx
Free Lincolnshire Life Magazines and others?

Started by GrannieAnnie on Frugal Living

0 Replies
Last post April 04, 2015, 23:37
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 39 queries.