Soft fruit plants that fruit in the same year?

• 4 Replies

karooba007

• Experienced Member
Soft fruit plants that fruit in the same year?
« on: February 04, 2009, 11:04 »
I am looking for some soft fruit plants that fruit in the same year. I think it is not only a matter of the type of plant but also the variety.
So which type and variety will fruit in the same year? I bought 4 from Wilkinson’s, when I got home I read the packaging and two said that they fruit in the second year, the gooseberries fruit in the first. I should have read the packaging in the store but I thought that all fruit in the same year.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Soft fruit plants that fruit in the same year?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 14:03 »
Autumn fruiting raspberries will give some fruit this year i think, though obviously more in 2nd year once they get better established.Same thing for strawberries.

I bought a red gooseberry today in Wilko as well :lol:

GreenOwl

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 15:14 »
Soft fruit is usually perennial so not necessarily fruiting the same year as planted. 

Autumn fruiting raspberries such as Autumn Bliss will fruit in the first year and some strawberries.  Can't think of any others.  A lot fruit on last years growth so you need a year to establish.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 15:19 »
I know they are small, but when I went to Scotland last year to visit Aggy & Munty, I bought a packet of alpine strawberry seeds, most of them germinated, although I did kill a few myself, but they fruited last year, and in fact, I'm still getting the odd one or 2 now!!!!  And they are quite sweet when they are ripe.  Mind you, I got more from the ones I planted in a trough in the greenhouse than from the ones in a container on the patio.

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 16:57 »
Depends a bit on how / if they have been pruned when you buy them. I am a keen fan of Wilko because they have some great plants and bargains if you know when to buy. Autumn rasps should be ok as has been mentioned; strawberries will but it is better to pinch the flowers and runners off new plants so they can build up their strength for next year's bumper harvest. Blackcurrants should be pruned down to the ground almost when planting to stimulate lots of new fruiting growth for next year; black- and white- currants need a prune to establish their main branch framework so they can pruduce lots of berries on new sideshoots - again - for next year. How about some blackberry canes?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 04, 2008, 11:40
by Ruth Cross
xx
Re: Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2017, 20:30
by New shoot
xx
Fruit trees - 1st year fruit

Started by Frothgar on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 15, 2010, 09:49
by Frothgar
xx
Soft fruit

Started by MrsPea on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 01, 2016, 18:05
by MrsPea

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 40 queries.