Foxes

• 20 Replies

Plot74

• tilly
Foxes
« on: April 26, 2012, 01:52 »
Any tips on keeping them off the plot.
My neighbours on three sides have live stock pigeons and chickens so it's not going to be easy.
John
A gardeners work is never done.

fatcat1955

Re: Foxes
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 07:59 »
No way i can think of. Be careful as well if you use Bonemeal  as my Dad had to stop using it because the foxes would dig up his plant's looking for the dead animals.

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 09:35 »
you can mark your territory the old way like they do in the wildlife  :lol:

the way i've done it is block the holes in the fence with broken slabs where i've seen the fox come and go, seen no more fox poo on the grass, no more paw prints but recently i;ve still seen paw prints around the plot and not sure ifs its the cat or fox.

the onions are in the open in trays but i would have thought their strong scent would be tasty treat for the fox so thinking it might be a cat  ??? ???

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 09:43 »
My local urban foxes only seem to dig for a reason - to them bonemeal or FBB is an excellent reason, dried chicken poo less so once they've learned what a cr@p snack it makes.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 10:11 »
This year they have decided to play on the bed where the rhubarb and strawberries are  :ohmy:

The bed had horse manure in it, so don't know why they've chosen there  >:(

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 10:21 »
Maybe they appreciate the aroma of eau de cheval. ::)

Spelling ::)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 10:30 by argyllie »
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 10:23 »
True  ;) but, as it's knee deep on some of the other plots so they can beggar off  :ohmy: and play somewhere else  :nowink:

I'd like some rhubarb that's not been trashed  ::)

Mrs Bee

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 11:25 »
Hope this is not off topic but there is a program next week on channel 4 about foxes; whether to cull or not.

Know which camp I am in.
Looked at the broken plants in my garden where the dirty great brute goes rumaging :mad: :mad:

It ignores the prikka strips we put on the 6 foot fences at a fair expense,
gets through the little hedgehog hole we left in the gravel board,
scrambled through a hole in the trellis,
trampled on my tabletop strawberry bed and slung the contents of my kitchen waste bag waiting to be taken to the lotty.

Broad daylight and it is sitting on my patio; so angry went charging out at it yelling foul words  as I brandished the broom. All activity in the surrounding gardens went quiet.... oops :wub: :wub:

I really hate foxes :mad: :mad: :mad:

BabbyAnn

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 12:07 »
yes, I've had my fair share of dug up plants, holes where I don't want them and poo everywhere, and had to change how I improve soil fertility ... when you see the devastation, even I could happily brandish a gun and take a shot at them.

But then I don't have problems with rabbits, mice, voles ... so on the plus side they do keep those pests away. 

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 12:18 »
i might get some stick for this but i think its unfair to kill an animal that does not know that they are doing damage to someone's pride and joy or way of earning a living. we need to take preventative measures to ensure we don't harm them but instead they look elsewhere for food. near my area there are plenty of rodents they can take a pick at so they just need to learn and evolve their skills on finding alternative food.

http://www.thefoxwebsite.org/urbanfoxes/urbanconflict.html

emptydraw

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 12:43 »
Hope this is not off topic but there is a program next week on channel 4 about foxes; whether to cull or not.

Know which camp I am in.
Looked at the broken plants in my garden where the dirty great brute goes rumaging :mad: :mad:

It ignores the prikka strips we put on the 6 foot fences at a fair expense,
gets through the little hedgehog hole we left in the gravel board,
scrambled through a hole in the trellis,
trampled on my tabletop strawberry bed and slung the contents of my kitchen waste bag waiting to be taken to the lotty.

Broad daylight and it is sitting on my patio; so angry went charging out at it yelling foul words  as I brandished the broom. All activity in the surrounding gardens went quiet.... oops :wub: :wub:

I really hate foxes :mad: :mad: :mad:

I also hate fxes, we have chickens and they constantly parol around the chicken coop and last year they formed a den under the shed, 8ft from the chickens! Fortunately my chicken ar dumb and arent aware of the potential danger!

The foxes also trample and roll in the garden, flattening all my daffs and are a complete nuisance, then you find out that the next door neighbour is leaving eggs out to feed the "lovely thing". Grrr...

« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 12:45 by mumofstig »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 13:05 »
foxes, mink and any other predators or large animals are just doing what comes naturally and it is up to us the chicken keepers, allotment holders and gardeners to do all we can (legally) to protect our birds, allotments and gardens.

Please can we keep this thread as friendly as possible otherwise we shall have no choice but to lock it.
Staffies are softer than you think.

emptydraw

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 18:37 »
foxes, mink and any other predators or large animals are just doing what comes naturally and it is up to us the chicken keepers, allotment holders and gardeners to do all we can (legally) to protect our birds, allotments and gardens.

Please can we keep this thread as friendly as possible otherwise we shall have no choice but to lock it.
In much the same way that slug and snails and caterpillars act naturally by eating our veg, but we all seem happy to put slug pellets down and pick of a squish bugs. I see no difference between these posts.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 18:54 »
This is not open for discussion emptydrawer, so I again repeat my warning, keep this thread friendly or it shall be locked or failing that any posts recommending shooting etc.. will be removed.

Plot74

• tilly
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 23:57 »
It may be an old wife's tale but it is said that if you put hair clippings inside an old stocking and hang them around your fence line this will stop the fox from entering.
Anyone else used this option I will be only to pleased to hear from you.
John

angry
Foxes!

Started by domw001 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 17, 2011, 16:48
by digwell123
xx
foxes

Started by dustcartkev on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 20, 2015, 19:35
by m1ckz
xx
Foxes

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 23, 2017, 08:58
by viettaclark
xx
foxes

Started by worzel gummidge on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 07, 2007, 09:17
by corndolly

Page created in 0.398 seconds with 40 queries.