AM I PAST MY SELL-BY DATE

• 13 Replies

rowlandwells

AM I PAST MY SELL-BY DATE
« on: March 22, 2018, 19:51 »
 I don't know about where you live but us pensioners are being blamed for the shortage of cash in our part of the country saying the older generation are draining the council of its cash because we are presumably living to long what a load of tosh

they never blame them selves for miss management of funds like our misfits that have jumped ship or been removed the roads well we play the game of dodging the potholes and that's on the roads not to mention the paths is it a new thing to spray yellow paint round the holes and hope they repair themselves

then there's the rates that are going to cost us more with a reduction of our waste bins being emptied every two weeks and a charge on our garden waste bins if you want the council to empty them

so whats your thoughts on this are you being blamed if your a pensioner in your neck of the woods for costing your council so much money although i have got my free bus pass till they cut the bus service because its expensive  :mad:

Title edit for search purposes
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 20:10 by mumofstig »

oldgrunge

Re: AM I PAST MY SELL-BY DATE
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 20:43 »
Waste bin collections every two weeks - Luxury! Here we're going two four weekly collections, and that's not because of pensioners, it's because the council's strapped for cash.
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 21:36 »
When the money that councils get from central government drops by about 50%, and central government puts a limit on how much councils are allowed to put the rates up by (which doesn't compensate for the 50% drop in funding), then things are bound to get tight across the board.

The free bus pass is only one element of this.  Government originally promised that the money it would give to councils to reimburse their expenditure on bus fares would cover it.  Again the amount has gone down significantly, so that councils lose money and so do bus operators.

Pensioners are just caught up in one of many examples.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

AnnieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 08:20 »
Aren't Northamptonshire the ones in a more complete mess then the others?
Over here one council decided to build themselves new modern offices and that (of course) meant they awarded themselves a rise in salary. Commensurate with the new offices no doubt.

After which they said that for green waste collection people would have to make a seperate payment as they could not cover the costs.

I think that until the salary that councils pay themselves and what they do with at least some of the money they receive is more heavily controlled there will alway be problems.

Didn't one councillor from Bristol decide that they had to use a luxury taxi company to get to London rather then take the train, even !st class train travel was about 1/4 of the cost of the "necessary" taxi.

Someone once half mentioned that getting old was costing the council more. I smiled and pointed out that all the years of NI and tax contributions I had made was what had built the hospitals and funded many other aspects. Councils can think in terms of "today" as in you are costing us more today. What is forgotten is that what we paid yesterday is funding today.

That skateboard park for a 15 year old is funded by the payments made by the 50 year olds.

rowbow

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 09:23 »
surely roadworks should be taken out of the road tax, or is that like water rates 75% is taken out for shareholders >:(

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 17:31 »
Annie B your definitely singing my tune could agree more with what your saying some of these council bods have short memories of the contributions we made over years when we  where working putting coffers in the council pot

although I am mindful or the government constraints on local councils but where do you draw the line there has been some scrutiny of where the council funds where ending up but it seemed to have fell on deaf ears when it rears its ugly head  where the money has been spent or should I say wasted there could be a few red faces

I'm not convinced its all down to central government with short arms and deep pockets who are blameworthy

al78

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 17:47 »
Unfortunately government cuts extend to local authorities, so they have to respond by either raising the council tax or cut sevices. That is what happens when the government thinks it is more important to spend money on a nuclear missile and nuclear power station white elephants.

grinling

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 19:20 »
Our county council and district council have gone up less than 4, whereas the parish council has gone up 9%

wighty

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 19:50 »
I've  tried to reply to this thread several times but it went against site policies  so have refrained. 

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2018, 14:57 »
Definitely not! The government and or councils should pay us for our experience and wisdom of senior years which is patently missing in the current elected ones. Also, we've been paying them for enough years so are entitled to get our money back if they can't fulfil their side of the "contract".
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

rowlandwells

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2018, 17:36 »
good reply good idea but as I agree 100% its unfortunately such happening is in our dreams  :(

al78

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2018, 18:14 »
Definitely not! The government and or councils should pay us for our experience and wisdom of senior years which is patently missing in the current elected ones. Also, we've been paying them for enough years so are entitled to get our money back if they can't fulfil their side of the "contract".

The issue with wisdom is that it is obtained many decades ago, when society was different to now. Before appealing to wisdom, first make sure that the circumstances are the same now as they were back then. I have wondered sometimes why, if older people are so wise and have such good life experience, why a lot of them moan about being cold, seemingly incapable of dressing appropriately for the conditions, despite having lived through some brutal winters in the past.

As for getting your money back, it doesn't work like that. The tax and NI system is not a personal savings policy, it is a way for the government to raise revenue from taxation to spend on things that need addressing in the current climate, not saved up for 50 years later. What you paid in tax years ago has been spent on pensions years ago, it is gone. There is thus no entitlement to "get your money back". In the present case over the last 100 years or so, the elderly population has been increasing relative to the working population. This is unsustainable, so something has to give at some point. As far as I'm concerned, I'm trying to put enough away in my working years to have enough to get me through retirement, because for all I know, there may not be a state pension when I retire, and it is better to be independent where I call the shots, than to be reliant on other people and be at their mercy.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2018, 19:07 »
People may longer pay NI contributions when they are older, but you are entitled to your basic state pension based on what you did pay, plus any top-up for which they deducted contributions.  It is all funded 'pay as we go' from contributions currently being made and the government has now raised the age at which you can claim it to meet this gap in funding.

Income tax is for life. If your income, be it earned, pensions or otherwise, exceeds your tax allowance, you pay tax. 

Council tax is a different kettle of fish and my own personal opinion of how our council looks after the money they take from us certainly goes against site policies, so I shall keep quiet on that front.

Plenty of people benefit from state benefits - young and old.  The same is true of services councils provide.  I also know plenty of people my age and younger who also moan about the cold, don't dress appropriately for the weather or think they know it all when they are clearly talking tosh.

Taking pot shots at any part of society grates with me and definitely does go against both the nature of this forum and its site policies and if this thread carries on in that vein, it will be locked. 

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2018, 10:28 »

The issue with wisdom is that it is obtained many decades ago, when society was different to now. Before appealing to wisdom, first make sure that the circumstances are the same now as they were back then. I have wondered sometimes why, if older people are so wise and have such good life experience, why a lot of them moan about being cold, seemingly incapable of dressing appropriately for the conditions, despite having lived through some brutal winters in the past.
That's simple - as you get older you feel the cold more. Something you may experience yourself if you're lucky :)
As for getting your money back, it doesn't work like that. The tax and NI system is not a personal savings policy, it is a way for the government to raise revenue from taxation to spend on things that need addressing in the current climate, not saved up for 50 years later. What you paid in tax years ago has been spent on pensions years ago, it is gone. There is thus no entitlement to "get your money back". In the present case over the last 100 years or so, the elderly population has been increasing relative to the working population. This is unsustainable, so something has to give at some point. As far as I'm concerned, I'm trying to put enough away in my working years to have enough to get me through retirement, because for all I know, there may not be a state pension when I retire, and it is better to be independent where I call the shots, than to be reliant on other people and be at their mercy.
With increasing automation you have to wonder how long there will even be a working population. As for savings - for a number of years we've seen money actually devaluing in savings with interest rates below inflation.
The concept of the state pension, unemployment benefits and free health care was based on NI - being backed by the government supposedly safe. We've seen company pensions wiped out by firms borrowing from the pension pot leaving employees up the creek without a paddle.
I'll close on a wonderful quote from Heinlein "$100 placed at 7% interest compounded quarterly for 200 years will increase to more 'than $100,000,000--by which time it will be worth nothing"
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

xx
Christmas past

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post December 09, 2021, 12:27
by Goosegirl
xx
finding your past

Started by chrissie B on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post August 17, 2018, 20:07
by chrissie B
xx
Goosey's past about to be revealed.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post November 14, 2018, 14:44
by Goosegirl
xx
past presenters of gardener's world

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

14 Replies
Last post November 07, 2022, 11:32
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 54 queries.