chicken eye infection

• 7 Replies

lynda

chicken eye infection
« on: January 20, 2008, 16:11 »
Hello everyone.  I am happy to be writing this because I have just suffered quite a trajedy.  Last night because one of my chickens had a foamy white matter in her eyes, I brought her indoors into what I call 'chicken hospital'.  Over the years, I have had various birds who have been unwell and I have always been able to cure them with a bit of TLC.  I have had my birds for 6 years and they have always been a happy flock.
When I went out today to let them out, I couldn't believe my eyes, each and every one had been slaughtered by what I must assume was a fox.  I was very upset and feel so wretched.  I have faithfully closed them in, tended to them when ill (one of my cayuga ducks was about 10 years old) and now they have all been killed.
I must now look after the sole survivor Emma who is not looking very well at all.  She doesn't smell very good and her eyes are swollen with this white foamy discharge coming from them.  I have made a little run and a clean box for her to sleep in with a perch and I have just sponged her down with warm water.  Can anyone suggest anything else that I could do?  a bird farm owner said it might be conjunctivitis and to drip tea bag juice into her eyes.  Any ideas?
Thank you. :cry:

Sally A

chicken eye infection
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 16:19 »
I'm just going to move you to the Hen House Lynda, where you'll get more viewings, come back to the Welcome forum and tell us all about yourself.

babe

• elvis king of chooks
chicken eye infection
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 16:19 »
so sorry to hear about the fox, i know exactly how you feel.

has emma got any wounds from the fox? if so purple spray or wound powder after cleaning.

shock is the worst thing to be watching out for.

im sure a mod will be along and move this to chickens for you where you'll get help from the chook experts. aunty usually knows best when it comes to a poorly girl.

and welcome to the nut house

Louise

• Experienced Member
chicken eye infection
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 17:04 »
oh no sorry about the fox :twisted:

Welcome - there's loads of helpful people on here

It must have been awful to find them after you have looked after them for so long.Sorry i cannot give you any advise about your other hen, but im sure somebody will be along soon to give you advice.
 :D

Fat Hen

chicken eye infection
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 17:21 »
Have a look at this link

LINK

Hope this helps.

Sorry about your other chucks. :cry:

Foxy

chicken eye infection
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 18:17 »
lynda I am so sorry, what a devastating shock :cry:  :cry:
A big welcome to the forum!!
It does sound a bit like infectious coryza from your description, as there is an unpleasant odour as well as  the fact she is looking unwell. This is an upper respiratory infection affecting eyes, nasal area and sinuses.
I would say from how poorly your hen sounds that the vet is needed ASAP for an antibiotic inj. plus a course of antibiotics Tylan or similar is what is recommended. Baytril is another one I expect you have used. It could be something else but a vet will be able to formally diagnose.
Best of luck with your hen it sounds like the poor thing has been through a lot. There are lots experienced chook owners here so hang around for some more help :)

Selkie

chicken eye infection
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 18:23 »
Hi Lynda, I'm so sorry that you lost your hens and that the surviving one isn't well.

I'm pretty new to keeping hens so I can't really offer any advice on the eye condition, though I'd say if she doesn't smell well then it probably is a type of infection.

Can a fox get inside a henhouse (sorry if that's a silly question) - that's really frightening? I always think mine are safe when I shut them in for the night.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
chicken eye infection
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 23:01 »
Hi Lynda  Welcom to the forums  :D

So sorry you.ve had such a nasty experience  :cry:

It does sound as if your hen has an infection either coryza or possibly mycoplasma.

I think she may need some antibiotics.

xx
Chicken eye infection

Started by govier96 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post November 11, 2010, 17:58
by govier96
xx
Ear Infection?

Started by 3Bluebelles on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 14, 2009, 10:30
by 3Bluebelles
question
fungal infection

Started by drumcrow on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 17, 2010, 16:11
by drumcrow
xx
chest infection?

Started by Beano on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post November 20, 2017, 10:38
by New shoot

Page created in 0.288 seconds with 38 queries.