Winter care of raspberries

• 4 Replies

Paulj

• Experienced Member
Winter care of raspberries
« on: October 04, 2011, 07:43 »
I understand that raspberries are fairly hardy, but wondered how they cope with winters such as the last two we have with the minus temperatures we have had (-15 here)?

We are on our firt plot and our firt planting has been a couple of Glen Coe raspberry plants, which we bought from a good locks nursery where they advised us not to cut them down as they are ready to fruit next year.  The canes are anything up to nearly 6th at tallest, and are leafy.  Is there anything I should do to protect them ove the winter?

Salmo

Re: Winter care of raspberries
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 07:59 »
Raspberries are pretty tough. Just make sure that you have the canes well supported so that the wind does not rock them.

Next Summer they will grow some new canes from the base which will produce the fruit the following year. After the fruit are finished next Summer cut all the old canes to the ground and tie the new ones to the supports.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 10:00 »
Can I add to Salmo's sound advuce, that they would beneift from a good mulch of old leaves, about 4 ins or so thick, once the soil is good and damp. It'll help them next year, as they like being on the dampish side  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Paulj

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 13:51 »
Salmo, sunshineband - thanks.

So they tend to be hardy enough even through the harsh winters we have had the last couple of years and I don't really need to do anything to protect them?  I like the sound of that!  Easy.

Sunshineband - any leaves?  or would wood chippings do?  Our allotment site has a pretty big pile that gets topped up so that is easier for me - as silly as it sounds, I don't come across too many leaves!  No trees in our garden, few on our road and I don't particularly want to start foraging the local streets - people will think I'm a nutter, as well as having the campest dog in the village...

noshed

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 14:20 »
I would be inclined to lay off the wood chips in case they leach the nitrogen out but well-rotted manure, compost etc would do fine. Mine sat happily through the snow last year and it didn't seem to have any effect on them.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

xx
Winter care of kiwi plants

Started by Offwego on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 02, 2018, 14:22
by Offwego
xx
Winter care dwarf apple trees.

Started by LILLILEAF on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 13, 2017, 11:22
by trunk monkey
question
Overwintered onions from seed and sets - to to care for over winter

Started by green3a on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post December 21, 2011, 23:30
by gobs
xx
Winter Care of Jerusalem Artichokes for Harvesting Next Year?

Started by herbiegrowsbananas on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 15, 2013, 13:30
by herbiegrowsbananas

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 38 queries.