Bread the stuff of life

• 527 Replies

chrissie B

Re: Bread the stuff of life
« Reply #465 on: November 16, 2017, 09:29 »
Breads back on form ive tryed some canadian very strong flour and it was nice but would be too expencive so im back to the origanal recipe using milk , i freeze my bread not in bulk i do 2 900g tins these madk up 4 small loafs , we love bread but dont eat masses of it so i freeze it and think making with the milk helps it freeze .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

oldgrunge

« Reply #466 on: November 16, 2017, 10:34 »
My breads been abit sad latley not got the fluffyness i stopped putting in the milk so now ive put it back in and all is well , when i bake and it says water they never seem as nice.
chrissie b
Probably due to the fat content in the bread, which it gets from milk. Olive oil also has a simile effect. Fat in bread also helps it's keeping qualities, which would explain why  French baguettes go stale very quickly.
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

chrissie B

« Reply #467 on: November 16, 2017, 16:27 »
I just find when i use water they dont keep as well and are a bit duller in colour milk it lookes whiter and its all good stuff in there .
chrissie b

chrissie B

« Reply #468 on: December 06, 2017, 23:39 »
Today did usual bread and 12 baps recipe is paul holiwoods dads floured baps as seen on tv in his new programme,  they are soft ones and very nice but a little to much sugar for mr will drop it down next time .
chrissie b

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #469 on: December 07, 2017, 08:27 »
I've been chasing unicorns again - I tried out 2 new Panettone recipes this week, one got burnt and went in the bin, the other one was really nice  :) I think the main difference to/improvement on past year's efforts was the use of Paneangeli Vanillina, proper Italian Vanilla powder, which adds that wonderful smell when you slice into the bread *drool* as well as the flavour of course.

The candied fruit I was waiting for was delivered yesterday, so I think I'm set for the real thing in a couple of weeks.

rowlandwells

« Reply #470 on: December 07, 2017, 09:39 »
home made bread can't beat it unfortunately because of other commitments or to put it  another way we have been busy  building and decorating its one of those things where bread making has been put on hold

but hopefully the wife will be back to bread making shortly  a few years ago we used to buy our bread from a local bakery we bought what we call a cottage loaf the bread was baked in a coal oven with good strong flour and I can see us now slicing the bread spreading proper butter on it and home made jam lovely grub

when we where hay making or harvesting the farmers wife used to bring us a large can of tea and jam sandwiches god I can taste them now lovely home made bread there used to be several village bakeries that have sadly all gone now I know you can get the in store bakery that make there own bread but its not like that old village baked bread I can remember

I have to say I'm missing my home made bread especially after reading this topic I'm going to have a word with the wife now about making some  home made bread  :D

oldgrunge

« Reply #471 on: December 07, 2017, 10:09 »
Don't wait for your wife! Get in there and make some it's easy. I've been baking for about 20years and still get a kick out of a newly baked loaf.
Got oatmeal loaf, cinnamon swirls, and rustic Italian bread on the go at mo.

rowlandwells

« Reply #472 on: December 07, 2017, 17:57 »
if only I had the time oldgrunge I  bought her a new mixer to make the bread dough  :D when I'm finished the list of garden building and decorating it will be spring and time to start in the greenhouses and allotment

and I thought retirement meant baking bread and  putting your feet up who ever said that  :D

oldgrunge

« Reply #473 on: December 07, 2017, 18:41 »
Having retired ( Officially ) 2 weeks ago, have found it's true when people say " Don't know where I found time to work!".
So you do have my sympathy, rowlandwells.

chrissie B

« Reply #474 on: December 08, 2017, 15:24 »
Jam sandwiches wonderful ,
i just love the bread smell in the house im just listing all the things i would love to make for Christmas but it gets a bit disheartening
when every one seems to be on a diet .
hope you get the bread baking soon.
chrissie b

rowlandwells

« Reply #475 on: December 08, 2017, 18:13 »
I forgot  to mention home made bread cut thick [doorsteps ]  with a nice piece of home cured bacon let the fat soak into the bread "heaven"

snowdrops

« Reply #476 on: December 08, 2017, 19:36 »
I've been chasing unicorns again - I tried out 2 new Panettone recipes this week, one got burnt and went in the bin, the other one was really nice  :) I think the main difference to/improvement on past year's efforts was the use of Paneangeli Vanillina, proper Italian Vanilla powder, which adds that wonderful smell when you slice into the bread *drool* as well as the flavour of course.

The candied fruit I was waiting for was delivered yesterday, so I think I'm set for the real thing in a couple of weeks.

Sounds wonderful I eagerly await photos, it’s not s9mething I’ve attempted, too dangerous methinks, I like the bought ones so if I mastered making it goodness knows I wouldn’t be able to leave it alone 😂
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #477 on: December 09, 2017, 09:03 »
too dangerous methinks, I like the bought ones so if I mastered making it goodness knows I wouldn’t be able to leave it alone 😂

Oh I agree.  Just reading about cutting into it and smelling that vanilla powder got me interested. OH isn't a fan, so I know who would end up eating the lot  :blush:

Virtual sharing would be good though  :D

chrissie B

« Reply #478 on: December 19, 2017, 18:39 »
Made stollen bites today had to leave for an appointment before they came out hubby looking after it and i let him put the butter and icing sugar on it he did good but didnt put all the butter on it .
chrissie b

compostqueen

« Reply #479 on: January 22, 2018, 14:50 »
Got an oat loaf on the go at the minute.  It was a hastily thought out idea but I got some of the ingredients lined up and into the bowl when I found I had no flippin bread flour!  What a dope!  So, needs must, and i chucked in Tesco cheapo plain flour and hoped for the best.

This loaf has no fat or sugar but uses a  grated eating apple.  I made it by hand and let it prove. By the time I went to bed it was doing nothing so,I thought I would put it in the fridge and let it do its thing.  I Forgot! I left it out all night but this morning I found it had risen beautifully

Got it out and punched it gently down, firmed into a round and into the banetton- or Pyrex in my case 😁
Went running, came back and it was looking good. Into oven. The smell of apple at this point was lovely.
Anyway, here it is. Ta da!   

It has to cool, taste test later. Looks better than I imagined after the neglect heaped on it, and the fact it’s just plain flour.

I will report back. Over and out 👍

88662B44-98C7-4888-B6B3-CE9157ADDB42.jpeg

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 54 queries.