Double glazing units for coldframe?

• 19 Replies

leeky

« on: February 19, 2007, 23:39 »
Hi. sorry for what is probably a silly question but...

would the units from a double glazing window be ok for use in a coldframe? Apart from the double layer of glass which I presume is good for retaining heat, is there a coating on the glass itself which impedes the UV light and therefore detrimental to the growing of things?  

im way off arent I?   :oops:  :lol:

Trillium

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 23:48 »
I'm not a pro on this Leeky, but I'd say don't worry about it as your plants aren't likely to be in the frames long enough to suffer detrimental effects. I've always just used whatever I could get hold of, single panes, double glazed (though it's heavier), channeled plastic, etc. Only need to watch that the frames inside don't get too hot on clear or sunny days. On particularly nice days, lift the lid wide open and no problems.  :)

muntjac

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 23:50 »
grab them and make ur cold frame mate  as trillium suggested use a brick to support the glass when its hot .. why a brick? cos they is heavy and is a wind comes up the stick may fall off completly n the plants will suffer if they get to hot  :wink:
still alive /............

WG.

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 23:58 »
I use double glazing units directly on open ground.  Simply support each corner using the top cut from a PET drinks bottle; keeps it an inch or so above the soil.   Warms the soil underneath.  Remove glass as soon as germination happens so that the seedlings are don't need hardened off.

leeky

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 00:01 »
wow! thanks all for the replies.

thats cleared that one up good and proper.

There are several double glazing factories around here (where arent there  :lol: ) and they leave their seconds or bad ones outside or in the skips.  I'll be making a trip or two then!  :wink:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 15:57 »
My OH has started to make cold frames using old double glazed windows Leeky, they look good, or they will do when he finds something to clad the sides.  I don't think he's do one entirely out of glass, it'd be very heavy!!!

Also, do't know if you have a greenhouse, but he uses the single glass windows to re-furb our greenhouse, and the wood from the frames goes on the woodburner or if thick enough, he cuts it to use for other things, like the frame of the coldframes.

leeky

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 17:12 »
good ideas there GrannieAnnie, thanks.

I'll be making the frames from wood and using a lip in the frame bit to hold the glass bits on top. No greenhouse here though I do want one for sure :D

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 17:47 »
Post a wanted for a greenhouse on your local Freecycle, Leeky - I got a fab 8x6 Eden from the Cardiff group.

if I have a greenhouse, do I still need a cold frame?  Never having done any undercover gardening before, I'm a bit clueless...

muntjac

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 18:39 »
yes you do . a coldframe is used to harden plants off after taking them from the greenhousew where you start them off / by leaving the window up you can control the heat and allow them to tuffen up before planting out on the plot ...or just stick em outside of the greenhouse and then take em in at night for a couple weeks ......... :lol:

ytyynycefn

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 18:43 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
...or just stick em outside of the greenhouse and then take em in at night for a couple weeks ......... :lol:

So I don't, then?  :roll:

muntjac

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 18:45 »
this i shall leave to you lol  :lol:

ytyynycefn

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 18:48 »
Hmmmm.... Think I'll do without for now - I'm running out of space to put one anyway!  As long as I can put things out in the day, and then bring them in at night, I guess that will do.  I take it you still need to visit morning and night to do something, whether you have a cold frame or not!  Although I could build one at the house, I suppose....  But that would be lots of to-ing and fro-ing from plot to house with seed trays.

Or maybe I'll just plant seeds in the ground later in the year, and use the GH for tomatoes and chillis  :lol:

leeky

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 00:14 »
Quote from: "ytyynycefn"
Post a wanted for a greenhouse on your local Freecycle, Leeky - I got a fab 8x6 Eden from the Cardiff group.

Had a mooch through the Freecycle sites there for my local area, i'm nearest to Bridgend, and Swansea would be fine too. What a great idea Freecycle is, and it definitely gets results by the amount of 'taken' posts on there. Great stuff!

ytyynycefn

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 18:45 »
It's fabulous - I posted a wanted for a large chest freezer yesterday, and I'm collecting one on Sunday from Magor in exchange for my small chest freezer.  blooming marvellous, if you ask me!

leeky

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2007, 18:59 »
Nice result Mel! :wink:

xx
Twin-wall glazing for my coldframe lid

Started by Goosegirl on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post August 23, 2010, 21:48
by hawthorns
xx
Double glazing greenhouse will plants suffer?

Started by qwerty565 on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post May 05, 2012, 15:00
by jrko
xx
little glazing tip

Started by greendog on Design and Construction

0 Replies
Last post December 14, 2010, 10:33
by greendog
xx
glazing

Started by bailey on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post April 16, 2011, 23:47
by ex-cavator

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 39 queries.