What to grow that doesn't harvest in Summer

• 9 Replies

ricksavery

What to grow that doesn't harvest in Summer
« on: December 05, 2018, 10:29 »
Hello
first post and very inexperienced at veg growing so bear with me!
I have a new allotment and, as luck would have it, a commitment that takes me away from home in July and August. I don't want to give up the allotment, but nor do I want to waste my effort with no harvest either.
My question therefore is, what can i grow that i don't have to harvest in Jul-Aug and requires no input in those months either. Possibly this has no easy answer but, as I say, i don't want to give up the allotment.
Thanks for any and all help

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: What to grow that doesn't harvest in Summer
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 10:36 »
Hi and welcome  :)

Main crop potatoes would be one.  Onion sets planted in the spring.  Winter squashes and pumpkins - once they get going they should be OK over the summer.

You could also get a load of winter cabbage growing away. but that will need netting to protect from cabbage white butterflies and pigeons.

Enfield Glen

• Experienced Member
  • Borough champion 12 times
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 11:37 »
Try not planting the runner beans until early June, by the time you get back they should have just started cropping.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 16:50 »
First I'd get some Yuzet/Mypex type weed control fabric and plant through holes made in that. Then no weeds can grow to annoy your plot neighbours (and possible get you a non-cultivation warning letter  :ohmy:)

The site's sowing and harvest chart shows what harvests later or earlier, so you can make your plans accordingly.
http://www.allotment-garden.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Vegetable-Sowing-Harvest-Chart.pdf

Good luck!

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 14:26 »
A lot will depend on the type of weather not only during spring but also the summer months which no-one can predict - wish we could! In Spring you could plant spring garlic, shallots and onion sets which should be ready in early autumn, plus broad beans for an early summer crop. As said, dwarf and runner beans planted in early June will also be good as will carrots, spring onions (and main pots unless blight occurs). Long-season veg like sprouts, leeks, cabbage and broccoli can be chosen by their cropping time so they should be ready to harvest when you get back and you could try some sweetcorn. When you get back plant some leafy winter greens such as kale, spinach and Cavalo Nero. It's a case of trying it this year and see what happens.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 21:42 »
Later sowings of beetroot,carrots, chard, swede,turnips, if sown in June should look after themselves to be ready to harvest September onwards,taking into consideration mesh protection for the carrots. Might be worth some annual flowers to attract bees etc to fill the ground. A lot will depend on the weather we get next year, if it’s like this year you will probably find a lot will be frazzled unless someone can water for you. Certainly make friends with your plot neighbours, might be worth ‘lending’ 1 of them some of your ground. Will it just be next year you have this issue?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

jambop

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 09:04 »
The major problem with you predicament is weed control, as has been pointed out. So as I see it you need to get the ground which you are cultivating covered with weed suppressant fabric and grow through it BUT you will also have to suppress the area that is not under cultivation as well... weeds at this time of the year grow at an incredible rate and of course set seed for future years.

Mr Dog

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 15:05 »
If you like cauliflower Walcheren is a good variety that is ready to harvest around the end of March/beginning of April from a May sowing the previous year.

ricksavery

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2018, 14:45 »
Huge thanks to all for replying and sorry I haven't got back sooner. I hadn't realised that there was actually a huge amount I could plant without worrying too much about July and August - the sowing and harvesting chart was really helpful. Although I take the point about consideration for neighbours' plots, all the plots next / near to mine are abandoned or overgrown so I won't worry about that too much at present, but something for the future, if only to make life easier for me.
Thanks again - really appreciate it.
Rick

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2018, 11:34 »
Huge thanks to all for replying and sorry I haven't got back sooner. I hadn't realised that there was actually a huge amount I could plant without worrying too much about July and August - the sowing and harvesting chart was really helpful. Although I take the point about consideration for neighbours' plots, all the plots next / near to mine are abandoned or overgrown so I won't worry about that too much at present, but something for the future, if only to make life easier for me.
Thanks again - really appreciate it.
Rick

Although you won't have to worry about those neighbours, the weed fabric will prevent their plots' weeds affecting your plot too much.  Weeds create competition for light, nutrients and water - and so your plants are less likely to thrive.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
ISO rotation advice for someone who doesn't grow many potatoes

Started by Snoop on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 02, 2010, 17:49
by Salmo
xx
Summer Parsnip Harvest!

Started by iwantanallotment on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 09, 2008, 13:37
by bean
xx
courgette harvest - summer is here!

Started by aelf on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 14:22
by Jome
xx
Strange early summer challenge, what to grow?

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post June 19, 2016, 13:40
by AlaninCarlisle

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 40 queries.