Winter cauliflowers

• 2 Replies

samnorfolk

• Experienced Member
Winter cauliflowers
« on: August 31, 2013, 12:50 »
Ive recently planted some winter cauliflower where my onions used to be, they seem to be doing fine although have been attacked a little by cabbage whites!! I have netted them but the netting holes seem slightly too big so the cabbage whites actually get through it!! Am i right in thinking when it gets a bit cooler i should cover these with fleece??

3759allen

Re: Winter cauliflowers
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 14:03 »
i done exactly the same with my size of netting of my brassicas. mine are pretty much destroyed now by the blighter's.

it's prob not ideal but if you have fleece i would fleece them now just to avoid them getting eaten. you should only need to cover winter cauli's when the temperatures are meant to drop below freezing. if the curds are not exposed by that time it's not essential tho.

gobs

Re: Winter cauliflowers
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 20:53 »
I would agree with Alen, the more protection you need, is the summer months. They are commonly fine in winter, bar the pigeons....

And you are correct, the 1 cm fruit netting is a waste of space and money for brassica, you need a finer mesh against white fly, they just kamikaze through it....
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

xx
Winter cauliflowers

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 30, 2018, 17:41
by rowlandwells
xx
?Winter cauliflowers

Started by chillimummy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 13, 2013, 19:35
by chillimummy
clip
Winter cauliflowers attacked

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 16, 2023, 13:08
by Anton
xx
growing winter cauliflowers

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post September 21, 2019, 17:39
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.363 seconds with 37 queries.