cabbages

• 4 Replies

rowlandwells

cabbages
« on: November 11, 2017, 19:59 »
still pondering what cabbage to try next year we usually grow both pointed and round types mostly F1'S some  O/P considering trying  other  varieties  next season cabbice  and satie as well as my old favourites does anyone grow a variety of cabbage called Brunswick supposed to produce really large cabbage that's another one I mite add to my list 

stonehead  seems to be a favourite choice with quite a few gardeners haven't grew it myself for a few years now  one that I tried last season was Attraction not to successful but I think I planted late

what in your opinion is a good versatile cabbage to grow for both flavour and size and what sort of time do you consider is the best to start sowing cabbage seed

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: cabbages
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 20:34 »
Funny you should mention cabbage varieties, as I usually grow at least 3 different varieties of cabbage. They are all f1 and the seed price in some places is nearly £4 pounds a packet this year.  :ohmy: with not that many seeds in a packet either  ::)

Sometimes I can get them in the end of season sales, sometimes not :(
I decided that if I can't get them in the sales, in the future I would buy non-hybrid varieties that are cheaper to buy.
Greyhound for early summer cabbage from a Late Feb sowing (in the greenhouse) and then sow again a couple of months later for continuity.
Then Winningstadt sown in April to take me through to November, followed by January King to harvest Dec-March from April-June sowings.

snow white

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 12:53 »
I like Golden Acre because they are small so I tend to use them all at once.  I don't have any hanging around then.  Or Greyhound.  I love this variety.  Pointy, tasty and keep well in the ground.  I am trying Tundra this year in the polytunnel, so heres hoping they do well.

Blewit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 15:56 »
Another fan of Golden Acre here for a summer cabbage, football sized with a light, crunchy texture a bit like a very dense iceberg lettuce. Attraction do well for me too for an autumn harvest, a bit smaller but very solid.

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 18:21 »
yes your all about rite what your saying because there are so many F1varieties on the market but having said that the well tried varieties seem to be holding there own against the modern bred cabbage

we have a bit of a dilemma because my wife likes a good green pointed cabbage where I like the bullhead types so we come to a compromise and grow some of each

and then there's the old favourite the savoy and the red cabbage I tend to buy only a couple of packets of F1 in non pictorial packets and they last for two years or more and I do the same as Mumofstig buying  some pictorial packets at the end of season sales

xx
NOT my cabbages

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 20, 2008, 23:33
by mumofstig
xx
Cabbages

Started by samnorfolk on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 24, 2013, 08:26
by fatcat1955
xx
Cabbages

Started by kizza on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 07, 2007, 13:30
by splodger
xx
Are these cabbages?

Started by lacaya on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 27, 2012, 23:32
by plum crumble

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 41 queries.