Epsom Salts - use of

• 10 Replies

Digger the Dog

Epsom Salts - use of
« on: May 02, 2018, 17:05 »
I know that one can use Epsom Salts as a foliar spray but can one put the Salts down as crystals? Could this lead to overdosing the plants?
Also, are there vegetables that you shouldn't use Epsom Salts on?

Tracybutton

• Experienced Member
Re: Epsom Salts - use of
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 17:43 »
I'm not sure, but I would have thought that if you want to add it in crystal form without dissolving it in water , you would need to do it as a soil improver a couple of weeks before you put your plants in.
Better to drop some in a watering can and feed that way I would have thought . It did wonders for my yellow leafed peas last year watering it in.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 17:45 »
I use it directly in the soil around onions and garlic, as it helps strengthen cell walls, and also provides the sulphur needed for flavour

No issues so far from  overdosing though
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

arh

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 18:35 »
Thank you for that Sunshineband, that is handy to know and will go in my book, do you have a rough ounceage per sq. yard/metre, or "just sprinkle it around".

Tracybutton

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 18:55 »
I use it directly in the soil around onions and garlic, as it helps strengthen cell walls, and also provides the sulphur needed for flavour

That would save a lot of faff,  I'll give that a go. I'll send a pic in when all me onions have wilted though  :D  ;) 

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 19:02 »

That would save a lot of faff,  I'll give that a go. I'll send a pic in when all me onions have wilted though  :D  ;)

Oh they won't wilt, Tracy, they will thank you for it with lots of healthy leaves.

And the dosage arh, is a trickle from your hand around each bulb, then tickle it in so you can't see any on the surface, using whatever implement comes to hand, or indeed, your other hand  :D

If the soil is very dry, don't worry as it will start to become available to the roots once it begins to dissolve

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 11:18 »
That's a new one on me. I will try it out and see what difference it makes to the taste. Does it also help them to keep longer in storage?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Digger the Dog

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2018, 12:05 »
I've now added some Epsom Salts around the Onions (600 of the little darlings :) ) and watered it into the ground; despite the rain, the ground dries very rapidly as it is a sandy loam and is part of an old river floodplain.
No water on site so all water has to be pumped and stored in IBC containers.
It certainly makes one appreciate water use when you have to lug every watering can!
I'll report the results in a few days

Tracybutton

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2018, 20:17 »

Oh they won't wilt, Tracy, they will thank you for it with lots of healthy leaves.

And the dosage arh, is a trickle from your hand around each bulb, then tickle it in so you can't see any on the surface, using whatever implement comes to hand, or indeed, your other hand  :D

If the soil is very dry, don't worry as it will start to become available to the roots once it begins to dissolve

Thanks for that. I've just got a 25kg bag from Amazon (food grade) for £25.00. Hopefully that should last me a lifetime. I'm off trickling and tickling tommora !!!  :D

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 16:58 »
I've now added some Epsom Salts around the Onions (600 of the little darlings :) ) and watered it into the ground; despite the rain, the ground dries very rapidly as it is a sandy loam and is part of an old river floodplain.
No water on site so all water has to be pumped and stored in IBC containers.
It certainly makes one appreciate water use when you have to lug every watering can!
I'll report the results in a few days

Do you apply a mulch around your plants to keep in the moisture? Or sink in plastic bottles with the lids & bottoms removed, then water into that to take the water to the roots, certainly worked for me at my old plot with no water onsite. So much so I still do it now & water very little
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Digger the Dog

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 10:13 »

Do you apply a mulch around your plants to keep in the moisture? Or sink in plastic bottles with the lids & bottoms removed, then water into that to take the water to the roots, certainly worked for me at my old plot with no water onsite. So much so I still do it now & water very little
[/quote]

We grow Main crop potatoes under black plastic. Next year we will use a lot more of the woven ground cover material to conserve water.

xx
Epsom Salts

Started by gardener247 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 27, 2010, 23:02
by gardener247
xx
Epsom Salts

Started by Trillium on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 15, 2007, 21:43
by noshed
xx
Epsom salts

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 13, 2015, 22:45
by LandShark
question
Epsom Salts

Started by Gardener Girl on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 21, 2010, 22:38
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 49 queries.