Pond plants in and out

• 1 Replies

casper

• Experienced Member
Pond plants in and out
« on: April 01, 2013, 19:41 »
I have a pond that will soon need clearing.

It is approximately 10ft x 6 in a kidney shape.  It looks quite nice with sandstones around, except the previous owner planted several bushes around it that I know are a type of privet.  I know this because they divided my front garden from my neighbours in my old house. 

The problem I have now is that they are extremely fast growing and trimming them all the time will cause problems when trying to keep the pond free of dead plant debris.  If I dig them out what can I replace them with?

Never had a pond before, so very excited  :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Pond plants in and out
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 11:32 »
Without trying to be facetious the answer has to be anything that doesn't cause that sort of problem by needing regular trimming.

Mine has got a rockery right next to it and the usual rockery suspects are all there, and the spreaders like aubretia are quite easy to deal with even when they start dipping their toes in the water. The other sides are lawned, but I do grow marginal plants, including carex and pond irises, but you need a pond shelf for most of them as they are grown only semi-submerged.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Pond Plants

Started by Rangerkris on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post August 14, 2012, 12:47
by Rangerkris
xx
Pond plants

Started by londongardener on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post April 25, 2021, 08:04
by New shoot
xx
pond plants - do they need food?

Started by Lottiegob on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post July 30, 2010, 22:46
by Lottiegob
xx
Plants for a small pond

Started by londongardener on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post April 18, 2018, 18:47
by robinahood

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 39 queries.