Spray or dig?????

• 28 Replies

peter and jean

Spray or dig?????
« on: June 09, 2018, 14:58 »
So our new plot is overgrown with lovely ground elder. I am in the process of meticulously digging every bit of the plot to try and get to all the roots. I have since read that spraying with glyphosphate is the way to go. I quite enjoy the mind numbing and laborious task of taking and digging but is spraying going to get the job done more effectively?.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: Spray or dig?????
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 15:46 »
I would dig every time. Cleared 5 plots over the decades and varioues states from "what am I doing" to (I must be (something) mad.
Having said that we have soft sandy soil here so it is easier to dg.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

peter and jean

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 16:06 »
I would dig every time. Cleared 5 plots over the decades and varioues states from "what am I doing" to (I must be (something) mad.
Having said that we have soft sandy soil here so it is easier to dg.
cheers for that. As well as the ground elder we're on lovely compacted clay. Still it could be worse.😁

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 16:16 »
I had ground elder in the garden and would thoroughly recommend spraying it all with glyphosate to make sure it is all dead, and then dig. I sprayed it and left for a fortnight to see what regrew and then sprayed that again; meanwhile I started digging where the weeds were completely dead.
It worked well here :)

peter and jean

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 17:19 »
Another option is to strim and cover. I realise that it is going to be impossible to get rid completely as I would be digging my neighbours plots too! Some of the roots I have pulled so far have been very impressive. I clearly have taken on a very fertile plot so my veg yields will no doubt be huge😂😂

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 23:35 »
I'm digging over a new plot at moment, 6 rods of every weed imaginable. I've had everything from horsetail, dandelion and hogweed to buttercup, groundvetch and couch grass. Just spent the afternoon plucking out bindweed root from upturned turfy stuff...

There is probably an organic weedkiller that will make it easy but digging over every inch of the plot is giving me knowledge of my soil and what weeds are deep rooted in where. I discovered a clay belt running through my plot which  rotovating/weedkilling would not have highlighted. I say dig, and become one with your earth!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 13:51 »
I say dig, and become one with your earth!

Great idea - as long as your back agrees with you  ::) :D

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 21:44 »
I say dig, and become one with your earth!

Great idea - as long as your back agrees with you  ::) :D

Very therapeutic approach, I'm doing the same on my new plot at present. Managed to squeeze some plants in  that I'd over estimated on.

As it is the season of leather and willow, then a small portable to keep you company.  Pace your self , dig for six balls then stop, and if a wicket falls - enjoy the break!!
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 21:49 »
Spray the ground and dig properly!

What's the point of research and development by companies, who wish to make a business out of an easier life for the community by knocking off evil weeds and labour-intrusive practices, if some other reasearch says it's another problem!

Who knows, but I definitely will use my Roundup to get rid of the stuff that stops me - at nearly 71, doing what I like best, which is gardening in a non-weed-infested plot. I'll hoe and do the work as necessary, but the awkward stuff gets zapped!

I didn't pay taxes all my life to have my ideals moaned about, and I'm no receiver of false info from 'environmentalists' or their equivalent.

There's nothing wrong with using weedkiller. The business of growing vegetables safely is what we all want, and I'm not going to cut down trees to make raised beds or piddle around with ways to enjoy my garden to provide me and my wife with our daily requirements, as and when we want them. If people disagree, then go to Tesco.

theplotbegins

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 06:48 »
This is a great topic and I've enjoyed reading everyone's approaches to ground elder.
I think I'd take advantage of the new plot status and use glyphosate.

In the past I have resisted chemicals in a mature garden because I was nervous about collateral damage ie killing something I meant to keep. The digging approach never really got rid of this triffid.  :(

theothermarg

• me
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 10:12 »
Very interesting that no one has mentioned a flame gun (or did I miss it ?)
My neighbours on the plot have taken over the other half to their half plot which hasn't been touched since it  was rented 6 months ago. They took theirs on at the same time and although new to growing veg are very keen.  They have been advised to burn it off (Mmm wouldn't it scorch the wood of the raised beds ??) then either to cover or dig.  I did say if it was me I would dig and mentioned that if they chose weedkiller please choose a still day because I'v suffered someone let loose with stuff next door before.

We all want them to do well so will be watching for any further comments
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget,Show me and I might
remember,Involve me and I,ll understand

Rocinante

• I am not paranoid but I know you think I am.
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 13:23 »
I have had success with my gas flame gun, just need to be a bit careful and not try to torch the weeds to the ground. Only make them wilt and with any luck problem solved. I also have the hose very handy just in case.

Regards,
Roccinante

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 14:24 »
From experience, the flame gun only kills the top growth, so it will kill annuals but perennials with deep roots will grow back again.

theothermarg

• me
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 18:34 »
I have had success with my gas flame gun, just need to be a bit careful and not try to torch the weeds to the ground. Only make them wilt and with any luck problem solved. I also have the hose very handy just in case.

didn't know that as I'v never used one. Back in 2001 when we took on our plot it was all burnt to the ground and was a big shock to find all the roots and weeds growing !! We got over it as I'm still there.
Next door have already cut weeds down as they were up it 5' tall. Hope they don't burn or spray while this wind is around
marg

rowlandwells

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2018, 18:36 »
Its roundup for me you can't beat it unless you really what the chore of digging and digging and digging hopefully with a good back and plenty of time I had a real problem with bind weed and twich all completely gone thanks to using roundup

i'm over seventy and like to make life easy weed free if possible just a few weed to hoe i can live with that but of cause if you prefer to dig and fork your bind weed  good luck to you

round up i did it my way :lol: :lol: :lol:

PS
 i must say you have a way with words Growster :D

xx
Blackfly - to spray or not to spray?

Started by gazza975526570 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 05, 2011, 11:14
by compostqueen
xx
Bug spray ... is it really that bad ?

Started by rogertb on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 17, 2018, 13:19
by al78
xx
To spray or not to spray ?

Started by Offwego on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 09, 2015, 00:40
by Goneterseed
xx
Bug Spray

Started by rikknikk on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 02, 2010, 09:42
by boosh

Page created in 0.428 seconds with 56 queries.