Poultry and Pets > The Hen House

Fox Attacks Warning. It's that time of year again.

(1/100) > >>

Kate and her Ducks:
Well it is getting to the time of year when the nights start closing in and the world starts getting ready for winter.

Unfortunately for us that seems to mean a really abrupt increase in fox attacks on our hens and ducks. There was a really dramatic increase this time last year and I was one of them and the pattern seems to be repeating itself this year.

It seems to be a combination of the early nights catching people out, many more foxes around as this years cubs mature and are not yet thinned out by the winter and the dropping levels of food making them all more bold.

It is a truely heartbreaking sight to come out to the carnage left by a fox so it is the time to take extra care locking up your birds.

Be vigilent!!!

This might help:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=25998.0

chickenlady:
We went to grannies last night and we got back when it was dark! the muscovies had gone to bed but as i wasnt home the door was wide open!  :ohmy: and the runners were already in bed but the door shut so bob and vi couldnt get in and found them asleep outside the growers shed! i was stressing all the way home! next time i think there may be a slight chance we will be back after dark i will definately have to chase them to bed before we go, for their own safety!

Debbie

iwantanallotment:
Same here, Debbie. They all go into their houses at practically 7 on the dot, but still need someone to shut the doors after them.
Tonight I was surprised to see the youngsters still out at 7 - the door had blown shut and they couldn't get in  :ohmy:  Bless, they weren't happy. Thankfully I was here, but it was scary. What if I wasn't?
Like you, I'd rather shut them in early if needs be and know they're safe than take any chances with Mr Fox.
Lost my last lot of girls to him a few years back, a devastating sight as Kate said  :(
After finding them like that, and our faithful special layer ripped apart showing next morning's early egg inside her, it's taken several years to find the courage to get more.
Many think foxes don't come out until the wee hours....WRONG! They are out at dusk, and earlier in some cases, even daylight.
We ALL have foxes on our doorstep, cities as much as country lanes. Even if you don't see them, they're there.

Please all be careful, they don't miss an opportunity  :mad:

Jeanette:
Please Please take care i lost my chooks to a fox at 3-30 in the afternoon last year.

upert:
how deep will a fox dig to get in a run? i've buried wire a foot deep all around AND have planks at the base of the welded mesh sides. I've covered the run with wire too so the only way a fox could get in is underneath.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version