chooks and cats?

• 12 Replies

stompy

chooks and cats?
« on: March 02, 2010, 09:42 »
Hi guys i've put a couple of posts on about getting some chooks.
Our garden is quite small so our run and house will only be 4m x 1.25m x2m high.
I will be letting the chooks out after work every night for a couple of hours.

I was thinking that i could maybe let them out in the morning an put them back in the run when i got home from work giving them more time to free range.
The problem we have or maybe not, depending on your answers is, there are a few cats around where we are, would the chickens be in any danger from the cats.
There is a particularly large black and white one around that bullies our cat.
Im not worried about our cat as it's scared of it's own shadow an very rarely goes out.

Does anyone else have this scenario, if so is there a problem :unsure: :unsure:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: chooks and cats?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 09:56 »
Hi Stompy, I have no vast experience of this, but our cat never bothered with the chickens.  The thing that would bother me about letting them free range whilst you are at work would be escapees and/or urban foxes.

stompy

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 09:58 »
We don't have a problem with foxes or escape grannie, our garden i surounded by 6ft walls and fencing.  ;)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 10:09 »
Foxes can get over 6 feet high walls and young chickens can also get up thet high I'm afraid.
Staffies are softer than you think.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 10:14 »
Our Amberlinks used to fly over 6 ft fences until they started to lay then they weren't so bad, but foxes are generally everywhere, especially once they know you have chickens.  You can never be too blaise about them.

I'm not trying to put you off Stompy, chooks are lovely, but some of our other members have been shocked to find their chickens dead when they got home from work

stompy

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 10:25 »
Please, im not disregarding anything any of you are saying, im just putting the full picture forward.
Your advice and experience is much apreciated, but if you have all the information then you can advise me better, thats the only reason i mentiond about the 6ft wall and fencing, i thought that would be enough.
There is no substitute for experience and i want my chooks to have the best and safest lives that i can give them.

Looks like it's going to be a few hours after work then, my OH has a monday and tuesday off so i suppose she could let them out then?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 10:31 »
It is because you are trying to sort out all this before getting your hens that shows us you will make a good caring chicken keeper. So please do keep us posted and include photos when you get them  :D

stompy

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 10:45 »
Will do joyfull, but im afraid i won't be able to do pictures as we only have the internet at work, and as i work for the NHS the internet is managed, so you can't upload pictures.
Thats why i havn't put pics of my allotment on.
I can't look at pics either as our IT department filter them all out, i can only see text on the screen  :nowink:

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 11:14 »
We've had no problems with foxes here.  I know foxes are 'everywhere' and have seen them fairly near but never in our garden.  We've occasionally forgotten to lock the chickens up at night and been ok.  I'm not saying it's ok to do this but I have THE worst memory!  So whilst it's good to be aware and I do know people who've had horrible experiences with foxes getting their chickens, I wouldn't let it put you off, just be aware.

As to the cat thing.  I had the same worry and we had a really pesky neighbour's Siamese cat that was determined to get them (he ate pigeons for a hobby).  It really stressed us out for the first 3 months but then after that we realised there was no way he would get them.  They really can hold their own.  Our baby chicks were not so sucessful - he got 2 of them. :( but we were just careful after that.

We have a new cat of our own now - a Bengal who keeps on bringing us a variety of dead animals that he's caught (including our daughters pet hamster  :ohmy:) but he's given up on the chickens too!

Good luck, enjoy it and just be aware.

North Devon Dumpling

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 12:34 »
We have two cats who are very fond of a nice bit of pigeon (and love roast chicken), they also like a nice rabbit or squirrel, but are absolutely terrified of the hens (well hen now), thankfully they have never worked out that their favorite cooked food is running about the garden!.  There are also lots of outdoor roughty toughty farm cats round us and they have never bothered the hens at all.  Foxes on the other hand... and they are much worse in urban or suburban areas as have more contact with humans and are less frightened of them.

Rubellite

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 12:41 »
Cats shouldn't be a problem at all. My 3 are not interested and the girls would certainly peck at them if they got too close. Neighbours have cats too, and haven't seen them anywhere near the chooks (but that might be because of the dog presence).

dizzylizzie

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 17:17 »
Hi, im just going to echo what everyone else has said :) Cats should not be a problem to fit healthy (nearly grown) chickens. Obviously small chicks are at risk, not just from cats, but birds etc. In my experiance, a cat will watch , even look like they are stalking them, but a healthy good sized chicken will come out on top! Never be complacent about foxes......Foxes will scale 6ft + fences/walls, they will dig under and do what ever they need to. :( The problem with foxes is you only ever know that the measures you have gone to are not enough when you wake up to carnage!!!! If you love your chickens, dont take risks!

stompy

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 07:57 »
well im going to bury the wooden sides down to a foot deep and was going to double up on the mesh.
Our garden is very secure with a motion sensor light and we live in a mid terrace house It would have to be fantastic mr fox to get in  :lol:
On a seriouse note though i will be takeing every precaution possible.  ;)

xx
cats and chooks, harmonious??

Started by nic_28 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 08, 2012, 20:51
by JaK
xx
are cats a potential problem if chooks left to free range?

Started by rosie14 on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 23, 2012, 10:27
by rosie14
xx
Chooks or 'Not fair' chooks ??

Started by Mega on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 04, 2010, 20:55
by Bantymad
xx
Cats

Started by uba on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 02, 2010, 14:54
by Ribbit

Page created in 0.301 seconds with 40 queries.