Elderberry syrup/cordial wine?

• 9 Replies

Alastair-I

• Experienced Member
Elderberry syrup/cordial wine?
« on: April 26, 2012, 17:42 »
Just want to put out a suggestion and see if anyone thinks I'm not mad..  :blush:

I have under the stairs about 1.5l of homemade elderberry syrup/cordial (2x 75cl).  After a recent stock-take of preserves, etc. I'm afraid that sterile conditions appear to have been compromised (unsure how, it was still nearly boiling as it went into a sterilised bottle!) with a slight mould on the top (both bottles).  The cunning plan is as follows..

Strain the syrup from the bottles and bring to the boil/simmer for 5 minutes to resterilise the syrup.  Cool and taste a spoonful to check for taint.

Add the syrup to a sterilised demi-john with 2l red grape juice (to make c.3.5l liquid) and a sachet of champagne yeast.

Air-lock and leave for initial fermentation  to subside, then make-up the gap to the neck of the d-j with water (about 1.5l - or I could get some more grape juice).  Replace the airlock and forget about it until fermentation stops.  Rack as required.  Bottle and leave to mature for as long as I can resist it.

There's a lot of sugar in the elderberry syrup so I'm reluctant to add more unless anyone thinks it's absolutely necessary.

Am I mad? is this likely to produce something drinkable?

Lardman

Re: Elderberry syrup/cordial wine?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 22:00 »
Id be worried about the sugar content.

A quick look at this chart suggest you'll need around 240g/l for 12% RGJ has around 156g /l  so with 3lts you've got 468g out of the 1080g needed for 1 gallon. I very much doubt there would be 600g in 1.5l of syrup. ?

Id put the syrup in 1/2l of water and see if you can get a reading on the hydro to give you at least an idea of the sugar.  Might be worth swapping out 1 RGJ for an AJ and then top up with RGJ when needed. But I like to play with my food  :D

Alastair-I

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 08:10 »
I use the Darina Allen recipe for the syrup which calls for 1lb sugar for every pint of elder juice.  Ball-park figure would be around 1.1kg sugar from 1.5l syrup.  That would suggest from your fugures that I could divide the syrup between two demi-johns and I need to buy more RGJ!

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 15:25 »
Ball-park figure would be around 1.1kg sugar from 1.5l syrup. 

:ohmy:  :ohmy:  :ohmy: Bet your dentist loves you !

If that's the case Id split the syrup between 2 DJs perhaps do a sweet red desert wine to mature and a dry table white for drinking asap?

Alastair-I

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 23:25 »
Ball-park figure would be around 1.1kg sugar from 1.5l syrup. 

:ohmy:  :ohmy:  :ohmy: Bet your dentist loves you !

If that's the case Id split the syrup between 2 DJs perhaps do a sweet red desert wine to mature and a dry table white for drinking asap?

Thanks Lardman.. The red is an idea, I'm not sure what would be needed to bleach elderberry syrup to a white!

I'll give it a go with 75cl bottle of syrup and make-up to a full d-j with RGJ.

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 11:55 »
Thanks Lardman.. The red is an idea, I'm not sure what would be needed to bleach elderberry syrup to a white!

I would imagine 4l of 'white' juice would go a long way to making a blush or rose. Let us know how it turns out. I'm always interested in how to fix things that have gone horribly wrong... can't think why  :lol:

Alastair-I

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 14:33 »
Well I've started it.. 75cl of the syrup sieved and boiled for 5 minutes, 2l of RGJ (all that I have to hand), allowed to cool and 5g Youngs champagne yeast pitched.  Air-lock on and I'll see what happens.  I'll pick up some more RGJ and some WGJ over the weekend so I can make-up this first batch to a full d-j once the initial burst of activity settles, and make-up the second with WGJ.

Bottled some TC whilst it was boiling/cooling.  One no added sugar batch, and one batch with a bottle of Polish syrup pitched in at the top-up stage.  I need to do some maths to work out the potential for the raspberry version.

440ml of Łowicz raspberry syrup with 64.9g/100ml sugar, for 285g sugar
4.5l of Vitafit apple juice with 9.5g/100ml sugar, for 430g sugar

Total sugar in 5l, 715g, or 143g/l.  From the chart that gives a potential alcohol volume of about 7%.  That's about the top of the level I'd put as "quaffable".  A quick taste while bottling and that sounds about right.

Reassuringly that puts the no added sugar batch with a potential of around 4.5% which is bang-on quaffable in my book  :D

Lardman

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 14:42 »
Reassuringly that puts the no added sugar batch with a potential of around 4.5% which is bang-on quaffable in my book  :D

And mine. I've heard good things about that Lowicz stuff, but every time I ordered it my local Trashco has run out  >:(

Alastair-I

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 20:21 »
I've split the two bottles of elderberry cordial into two DJ.  I've done one with WGJ and one with RGJ.  Good job I've labelled them, as I can't tell the difference!

I've boosted the WGJ with 125g sugar, according to my Excel sheet that should give a potential 12%.  I'll dose the RGJ batch with the same when I top-up after the initial activity dies down.

Alastair-I

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 16:05 »

I would imagine 4l of 'white' juice would go a long way to making a blush or rose. Let us know how it turns out. I'm always interested in how to fix things that have gone horribly wrong... can't think why  :lol:

Well.. I made two batches, one with RGJ and one with WGJ.  I've just finished bottling, corking and labelling the RGJ batch and OH and I are sat sipping the glass that wouldn't fit into the bottles.  Very quaffable, an easy drinking red for roast meat or just sitting of an evening ;)

xx
I bottled the raspberry syrup wine

Started by thedadtony on Homebrew

3 Replies
Last post June 03, 2013, 22:26
by grinling
xx
Elderberry wine

Started by rugbymad40 on Homebrew

8 Replies
Last post June 09, 2009, 19:54
by Jay Dubya
xx
Elderberry wine.

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Homebrew

18 Replies
Last post September 13, 2009, 21:14
by Damson
xx
elderberry wine

Started by mushroom on Homebrew

6 Replies
Last post July 01, 2008, 07:57
by symond steve

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 38 queries.